Thread: Mip or traxxas?

RC Enthusiast

Question Mip or traxxas?

What would u guys recommend? Mip x duty driveshafts or traxxas steel driveshafts?

RC Racer
    I heard the MIP x duty are great. But I like the rubber boots on the Traxxas shafts. I'm running stock shafts right now though.

RC Qualifier
    I've bashed my P4de as hard as I possibly can on 3s with a 2400kv and haven't had any issues with my MIP X duties. Can't speak for the Traxxas.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I like the teknos with the Traxxas boots on them.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

MIP for me and had 0 issues.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I like the teknos with the Traxxas boots on them.
    +1 to this. But only can be done using protrac arms.
    I prefer teknos and or traxxas over Mips any day. To much of hassle with mips.

You can fit the boots onto a straight Tekno setup too.

I've busted many a Traxxas halfshaft or stub axle.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    You can fit the boots onto a straight Tekno setup too.

I've busted many a Traxxas halfshaft or stub axle.
    Oh your talking about straight tekno. Not the hybrid lol. Yes you can do this also haven't seen many people do this.

Well, either way really. The hybrid setup is nice of you use protrac. When I was fooling around experimenting with shafts on my off road xo1 I started fitting the stubshaft boots to the straight Tekno setup, and it works.

RC Qualifier
    MIP. I've bashed on 6s with my slash and had no issues.

RC Racer
    Mip hands down buy them on amazon they are like 45 50 bucks

RC Qualifier
    My MIPs are still going strong. 1/8 scale kit and 4s. No problem.
    Chances make champions!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by benhesbrarom View Post
    In the x dutys you must use grease... That not good for offroad it atracts dirt like flies to sh@t....
    Where exactly do you grease them?

RC Qualifier
    You put a small amount of grease in the socket where the axle connects to the drive yoke. Not as bad as it sounds. You put it on during installation and i haven't touched mine since and haven't had a single issue with them. Once a little bit of dirt/dust gets on it, it doesn't continue to accumulate. Having to widen to install any axles is just going too far, that is all money that can be spent in a much better way elsewhere on the truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    Having to widen to install any axles is just going too far, that is all money that can be spent in a much better way elsewhere on the truck.
    It's not about having to widen to run a certain axle. It's opposite of that there's those out there that wants to wide their trucks for added stability and you can't just run any axles with wider arms, so there's options out there. Mip you have to buy 2 sets of the ruslter axles and then have to buy the front stub axles. Tekno use to make a protrac kit or dog bones but no longer make them. Even when they did most people would do the hybrid xo1/tekno or the stubs for the slash/pede steal axles. I went that route with mine and still have them running for over a year now. I have not lost a pin, or haven't broken a cup at the diff out drive. I have 2 full sets of Mips with 17mm adaptors one set is sitting in a bin wasting space. Space I could use for other parts and soon the other set will join them till I give them away or throw them away. Biggest headache ever and wasted money if you ask me. I bought them cause of everybody saying how you can't break them how strong they are well I proven that was false. I'm not the only one that has broken Mips either 3 out 4 broke at the cup on the male dog bone. I had so much problems getting the axles off my diffs when I had to rebuild after 2.5 months. Set screw would come lose on out drives well now they say use red loctite ok now you need a soldering iron to get those out then I had to use pliers to pry them off my diffs. Some still advise to put red loctite on most of the Mips. Why? It's so much easier to take my traxxas or teknos apart to service my diffs. 1.5mm set screw that never comes out. So I would much rather spend "my" money on other axles then Mips.

Yeah we aren't saying it's nice to run a certain axle setup but in order to do so you'll need to protrac it.

I will pick the mips over teknos for long travel vehicles like my telluride though. The teknos don't like extreme flexion. And the Traxxas units break too often.

For an average Slash, though, I think teknos are fantastic!