RC Racer

Installed Latest Firmware & Calibrated Compass But Can't Fly

Yea, I can't test the Aton with the upgrades because it's TOO COLD here in New Jersey. Try 20F and dropping! Bummer! I'm jealous of you warm weather guys because you get to play anytime you want. Maybe next week I'll get an opportunity to check things out. In the mean time I'm gonna have another cup of coffee.

Meh, it's not that bad here in North Jersey. I may further investigate the cold weather behavior of my Alias...upwind, of course.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I hear you brother. I'm in Delaware and was just looking outside wishing it was warmer. I don't think we're getting out anytime soon haha. It's just getting colder over the next few days.

RC Qualifier

Installed Latest Firmware & Calibrated Compass But Can't Fly

It won't fly in cold temps? I took mine out in -8 Celsius (~17 F) and it flew well. Flight times were cut to about 65% with the batteries operating at less than ideal temps though.

RC Racer
    Slono, the Aton would probably fly just fine. I'm the problem. My Young Stud days have passed. These old bones can't take the cold weather. LOL

RC Racer
    I hate the cold too and the Chicago weather hasn't been too cooperative. But I just can't help myself. I've been flying in my backyard (about an acre) for about 10 minutes at a time. I've done this almost every day since I got it regardless of how low the temperature has been, as long as the wind was relatively calm (<10 mph).

I can't wait until spring so I can take it to a more open space and stretch it out a bit more.

Not very cold here so that's not an issue... BUT IT WON'T STOP RAINING!!!

RC Racer
    At 1st I thought you meant you did all that and the bird wouldn't work. Glad to hear everything is ok. Mid 40's here in Joplin, Mo and the sun is shining, but the wind is around 10ish MPH. Too much for my little Glimpse. Vista can handle it , but I'm not a good enough quad pilot yet. Can't seem to keep control of altitude when I turn down wind. Best time around here for calm/no wind lately is about 11 PM. Too cold for these old bones. I'm hoping the Aton's altitude hold will allow me to work on basic maneuvers at a relatively slow speed without having to worry as much about altitude and wind.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CuttinEJ View Post
    I'm hoping the Aton's altitude hold will allow me to work on basic maneuvers at a relatively slow speed without having to worry as much about altitude and wind.
    It will. I let an 8 year old boy fly it (with my direction and a finger poised over the airbrake button) at the field today. There was an 8 MPH crosswind. No drama. He did fine. Aton did fine. I did have an "event", but that was earlier and a story for a different post.

It will lose and gain altitude while flying around in film mode (even if the throttle is on 50%) especially with the film mode speed limits set to maximum. But it is very tame and you won;t have any trouble getting used to it and practicing basic maneuvers.

Larry

RC Racer
    I am so happy to hear that, Larry. I can fly fixed wing. Both hobby and full size. But I have absolutely no experience with helicopters or quads until recently. It's just not coming natural to me. I was hoping that by calming down the left stick a little bit I could concentrate on the right one more. Aton seems to be perfect for that. Plus I've seen videos of guys flying in some pretty serious wind so what I have around here that keeps my smaller quads grounded or in the kitchen shouldn't be too big of a problem. thanks for the input.