Drive shaft wobble.

Well I tried a hot racing shaft which I loved but under 6s power the thing was wobbling like crazy.
    Went out and bought the monster big bone and to my surprise, geared 27/34 it too wobbled under hard torque conditions.
    The finial mod, back to stock with a XO-1 bearing carrier setup.
    I really only needed as well as wanted a single center carrier bearing, then after some research I found I could fit the XO-1 carrier in with some mods but nothing to drastic.
    Here are a few picks, keep in mind it isn't finished but after a on stand fire up on 6s she spun true and so far I'm very happy with it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Yes, this rig will run AVC, at 100 plus mph I'll need a little help.
    [IMG][/IMG].
    The top of the carrier will make for a perfect GPS mount.
    It has a ways to go but winter will give me another good month to work on it.
    I had to file down a few of the fins on the side of the motor but its going together better and easier then I thought it was going to.
    I'll do my best to keep the thread updated if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 02-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    what took you so long to do this mod Billy? looks good man

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    what took you so long to do this mod Billy? looks good man
    Thanks, I've just had to many coals in the fire to do much of anything, the scx10 has been taking a lot of my time as well as the MT slash and working on the house.
    I decided about a week ago this thing was going to see 120mph this summer, kind of a tall order but I'm going to go for it.
    Thanks again and I'll have more pics as I go.
    Cant do much today as the wife is big on the valentines day thing.
    I have a few good ideas on the gps mount doubling as an air control unit as well with some Plexiglas modding, of course only real on road testing will tell.

I had to upgrade because the stock driveshaft split at the ends.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I had to upgrade because the stock driveshaft split at the ends.
    Yeah, I would much rather have the big bone but I'll have to make a different carrier bearing as the 7mm diameter wont work with the traxxas bushings (8.3mm).
    Then the HR which I love is 6mm but once up to speed on the stand spins true.
    Here sit both and neither has done more been spun up on the stand.
    The big bone wobbled enough under a hard throttle pull it hit the RX-8 (over 1/4" one way), I wish I could see how they react on the ground under power.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you tested the avc yet at high speeds. When I had it and tried it the car was going crazy. I think I may of had settings set to high though. I do like the center bearing mod

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Have you tested the avc yet at high speeds. When I had it and tried it the car was going crazy. I think I may of had settings set to high though. I do like the center bearing mod
    No I haven't tried it out yet my friend, I have however heard that with the AVC and the TSM when turned up to high the front tires will wiggle back and forth.
    I really had to think about it since I dont like driving aids but thought I'd see how it went.
    I have witnessed my neighbors slash do what your describing when he first got his slash and turned the TSM up, with any luck mine will stop as his did when he turned it down.
    May I ask did you try turning it down and if so did it help?
    I doubt when they were producing them they didn't try them at 100mph lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    No I haven't tried it out yet my friend, I have however heard that with the AVC and the TSM when turned up to high the front tires will wiggle back and forth.
    I really had to think about it since I dont like driving aids but thought I'd see how it went.
    I have witnessed my neighbors slash do what your describing when he first got his slash and turned the TSM up, with any luck mine will stop as his did when he turned it down.
    May I ask did you try turning it down and if so did it help?
    I doubt when they were producing them they didn't try them at 100mph lol.
    Nope sorry I didn't turn it down. I just turned it back off lmbo. I might try it again but same as you winter is keeping me from going out. To cold for my tires to get any grip and I haven't finished installing my XLX yet been lazy with the rebuild

Nope sorry I didn't turn it down. I just turned it back off lmbo. I might try it again but same as you winter is keeping me from going out. To cold for my tires to get any grip and I haven't finished installing my XLX yet been lazy with the rebuild
    Well if you never turned it down lets both hope thats all it was,lol.
    As for winter the mercury hasn't been it the double digits for almost a week so I sure hear your there.
    Well thanks for the answer to my question, think I'm about to call it a night, or maybe I should say morning since I just looked and its Sunday morning now, buy fifteen minute anyway.
    Take care and all the best.

Well do to the weather I still haven't had a chance to do any out door running but can confirm the center shaft mod it a success, at least on the stand it keeps the shaft straight and true under a full 6s throttle pull.

RC Qualifier
    That is a good looking Rally! I think I might be going down the same path you have been blazing with mine this year. Do you have any pictures of the whole thing? I like the wheels.

I've also picked up an AVC system and been playing around with it. The wheels will wobble about if it's cranked too high. Also, when you mount it, use some legit 2 sided tape. I tried going the velcro route (it tells you not to do this) and it wasn't firm enough...caused crazy servo activity. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the features on the Spektrum transmitter...options are nice, but man that thing has too many, lol.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    That is a good looking Rally! I think I might be going down the same path you have been blazing with mine this year. Do you have any pictures of the whole thing? I like the wheels.

I've also picked up an AVC system and been playing around with it. The wheels will wobble about if it's cranked too high. Also, when you mount it, use some legit 2 sided tape. I tried going the velcro route (it tells you not to do this) and it wasn't firm enough...caused crazy servo activity. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the features on the Spektrum transmitter...options are nice, but man that thing has too many, lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Thank you.
    I used parma silicon servo tape, let it set over night and it's not moving.lol.
    I balance all my tires with my losi tire balancer.
    Its a long road of trial and error but once you find the sweet spot its a good feeling.
    Very best of luck to you on your endeavors.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I love that Parma silicone tape. It's strong as heck and easy to remove if you want to relocate something.

Thoughts please.
    I received a few items in the mail today, first front and rear XO-1 front/rear bearing carriers and caster blocks.
    I'm sure we have all seen enough of them I didn't take a pic;well didn't post one.
    Also got this little bad boy.
    [IMG][/IMG].
    Well my issue is I dont want to replace the Hot Racing front/rear carriers and C blocks.
    Running the 6mm stubs can be done with either as I also bought some hpi 6x11x4 bearings for the rear carriers and outer fronts.
    Here are a few pics, what would you fellas do? I love the way the HR front carriers have a top and bottom for the steering rods.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Or back to blue XO-1 stock units.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looking good billy. Stick with the HR carriers. It'll be different runnning the xo1 axles. I have xo-1 carriers and axles on 2 of my trucks. Wish I went with different carriers. But oh well.

Looking good billy. Stick with the HR carriers. It'll be different runnning the xo1 axles. I have xo-1 carriers and axles on 2 of my trucks. Wish I went with different carriers. But oh well.
    Thank you my friend, I too prefer the HR's.
    I guess I'll have to see how the 6x11x4 bearings hold up, then again theres nothing saying I cant keep the stock 5mm stubs.
    If they let go I'll always have a complete set of tekno 17mm's with the longer dog bones for the pro line arms.
    Maybe I will make a set of hybrids with the tekno and traxxas setups I've seen in the past.
    Thanks again for your input.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Thank you my friend, I too prefer the HR's.
    I guess I'll have to see how the 6x11x4 bearings hold up, then again theres nothing saying I cant keep the stock 5mm stubs.
    If they let go I'll always have a complete set of tekno 17mm's with the longer dog bones for the pro line arms.
    Maybe I will make a set of hybrids with the tekno and traxxas setups I've seen in the past.
    Thanks again for your input.
    That would be another way. But unless you have the stock length teknos the hybrid won't work.
    I forget do you have the longer male splines (rustler male spline) on that setup?

I've used avid 6x11x4 bearings on traxxas slash aluminum carriers with xo1 axels and they held up great.

That would be another way. But unless you have the stock length teknos the hybrid won't work.
    I forget do you have the longer male splines (rustler male spline) on that setup?
    I have both the stock and long (pro line arm) dog bones for the tekno's as well as the long and short traxxas spline shafts (6750's and 6752's).
    I've used avid 6x11x4 bearings on traxxas slash aluminum carriers with xo1 axles and they held up great.
    Thank you for the input RadReptiles831, I cant wait to run this thing.

Just ordered a set of XO-1 front/rear shock towers.
    Thinking about doing the same on a Poseidon 2650kv motor to go with the new center mount motor mount.
    I like the idea of a 6s rated 2650kv.

The Poseidon is a monster. You have to be insane to need that kind of power. Join the club!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What he said ^^^ lol

Well I guess I dont have to think about it anymore.
    Thanks fellas!!

Decided to do a test on an old plastic mount before I counter sink the holes for flat head screws and get ready to drill an tap it on one of my HR aluminum mounts.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You did a lot better job then I did mounting that motor plate on the mount. My first one is the same as you have but I bought the whole thing. Plate already mounted on the motor mount. Ive kinda built my own its a little different.this is the one I'm referring to about putting it on the mount. I haven't ran it yet to see if it keeps motor in place. After I put it through the test of my driving (crashing, flipping, taking flight) lol and if it keeps motor in place I'm going to build another one taking my time on it and post pics of it. Kinda wish my shop had the machine to make nice cuts. Oh well jigsaw, file, drill and time is all I need

You did a lot better job then I did mounting that motor plate on the mount. My first one is the same as you have but I bought the whole thing. Plate already mounted on the motor mount. Ive kinda built my own its a little different.this is the one I'm referring to about putting it on the mount. I haven't ran it yet to see if it keeps motor in place. After I put it through the test of my driving (crashing, flipping, taking flight) lol and if it keeps motor in place I'm going to build another one taking my time on it and post pics of it. Kinda wish my shop had the machine to make nice cuts. Oh well jigsaw, file, drill and time is all I need
    Don't underestimate yourself, you jig saw work is awesome.

Just give me a dremel and I can build anything.