RC Qualifier

Broken differential pinion

So installed a rear XO1 differential recently along with a Traxxas aluminum motor mount. The diff was a new takeoff. Running my P4de with the Castle 2400 geared 18/50 on 3s, after I ran several packs through it started slipping and making horrible racket. After opening rear I found 2 teeth broken on the differential pinion, part #6879. Put in another and only a couple passes into the pack, same outcome.

Bearing in motor mount is fine. Have been running foam mod on slipper so rear bearing looks new. Slipper is backed off ⅓ turn with Revo upgrade. Running MIP X duties and 3.2s with Trenchers. Any ideas?

RC Racer
    Is there some sort of "break in" period needed for a new diff? My only thoughts would be, are the front and rear geared the same? Is there too much or too little backlash?

Nope. Throw it in and go for it. The front and rear have the same ratio.

Be careful on landings. Anytime that the rear tires get into the air you need to land off throttle. Even just from a wheelie.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Man hate too hear that, I've messed up a couple ring gears, but haven't had that problem yet.

RC Qualifier
    Been careful on landings. Read a lot about over tightening the diff screws when reassembling. Gonna play around with that on the next install I guess, thought it was good though. I made sure all the screws went back where they belonged to be sure that a long screw wasn't put in the wrong place.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if it keeps happening, I think something may be bent, you need to look into that first.... And just looking isn't enough.... It shouldn't be breaking, often.....