Thread: Crawling Summit

RC Competitor

Crawling Summit

So I just bought a summit. Love this truck. I have a really nice crawling coarse next to my house and I would like to know what upgrades I should do? I'm running 2 2s venom 5000 40c battery's. I would like to get longer run time and maybe 10mph faster top end. I have a Savox SW-0230mg laying around and was thinking of getting another one to use for steering. Would this servo work better than stock ? Also what tire/rim combo is everyone leaning towards ? I feel the stock ones work great for gripping on the crawler track. But I would want something a little firmer for bashing and running around a dirt track.

RC Qualifier
    so, for crawling, you actually want the truck to droop, this lowers the cog. SPC 8200mah 2s packs are basically made for the summit, or the SMC 9000's are good too I have heard.

You could get another savox sw0231 servo, I don't think in that fashion you will need a separate BEC. The savox sw0231's will put out more torque than the stockers, on 6v they put out 208 oz/in of torque a piece, so 416oz/in. Stock is around 250 oz/in. Also, savox uses 25t spline servo horns, so I would recommend getting two aluminium servo horns as well. And for tires, I agree the stock tires are good for crawling(even tho they are torn a little, I haven't changed em yet) I have had my summit for like 1 year and a half now.

The trencher x tires can be glued onto the stock rims, its $80 for tires on this rig, and well even more if you buy the premounted ones, in this case you would save some money un mounting the stock tires, and mounting the trencher x tires on the stock rims with some super glue/ca(same thing)

An upgrade over stock for better speed and torque is the dewalt 820, I would just buy a dewalt 14.4v motor off of ebay(what I did) and slice the pinion that is on it, and put a 17t traxxas pinion in its place, idk tho my truck feels a little slower, but I put a 20t pinion on the dewalt, and it ran a little hot, but it was immensely fast lol. I was cheap, so I didn't spend the $60 for a 14.4v/dewalt 820 from KD, so I bought one off ebay for $30, and made an adapter out of washers. Just search dewalt 14.4v faq thread, that will help you find some answers on installing it. If you wanna go crazy, install a mamba monster 2, its a direct drop in, although a sensored system is preferred, maybe a mamba max pro, and a sensored 8th scale motor... A mamba max pro can handle 6s

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Spencer911; 02-16-2016 at 10:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    so, for crawling, you actually want the truck to droop, this lowers the cog. SPC 8200mah 2s packs are basically made for the summit, or the SMC 9000's are good too I have heard.

You could get another savox sw0231 servo, I don't think in that fashion you will need a separate BEC. The savox sw0231's will put out more torque than the stockers, on 6v they put out 208 oz/in of torque a piece, so 416oz/in. Stock is around 250 oz/in. Also, savox uses 25t spline servo horns, so I would recommend getting two aluminium servo horns as well. And for tires, I agree the stock tires are good for crawling(even tho they are torn a little, I haven't changed em yet) I have had my summit for like 1 year and a half now.

The trencher x tires can be glued onto the stock rims, its $80 for tires on this rig, and well even more if you buy the premounted ones, in this case you would save some money un mounting the stock tires, and mounting the trencher x tires on the stock rims with some super glue/ca(same thing)

An upgrade over stock for better speed and torque is the dewalt 820, I would just buy a dewalt 14.4v motor off of ebay(what I did) and slice the pinion that is on it, and put a 17t traxxas pinion in its place, idk tho my truck feels a little slower, but I put a 20t pinion on the dewalt, and it ran a little hot, but it was immensely fast lol. I was cheap, so I didn't spend the $60 for a 14.4v/dewalt 820 from KD, so I bought one off ebay for $30, and made an adapter out of washers. Just search dewalt 14.4v faq thread, that will help you find some answers on installing it. If you wanna go crazy, install a mamba monster 2, its a direct drop in, although a sensored system is preferred, maybe a mamba max pro, and a sensored 8th scale motor... A mamba max pro can handle 6s

Hope this helps
    Thank you for the info. I will be ordering the servos this week. I think I might have a old dewalt laying around. Now for batteries is 2s the largest I can go with or can the speed control do 3s ?

RC Qualifier
    the evx-2 can only run 2 2s lipos in series, that is the max(that is all it can run, or 2 7-cell nimh packs), I have heard people run 5s, but I personally wouldn't do it... You will need 25t spline servo horns like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racers-Edge-...kAAOSw7NNT8nFk
    I am pretty sure that arm will fit, because that same servo arm came with my 1230sg savox servo

2s 8200's spc 2s lipos, or SMC 9000mah packs is the largest without making a custom chassis, those will give you a range of like 60mins going crazy, to like 2 hours in first gear I have heard. Also for the safety of your lipo packs, I would buy a cheap lipo checker alarm and run it on NIMH, and set the alarm voltage to 3.5 volts per cell.. There is a wide variety of aftermarket tires for the summit, some tires need special 40 series rims, some are compatible with the traxxas style bead
    Last edited by Spencer911; 02-18-2016 at 04:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the SPC batteries
    I found a really cool build
    http://rctruckstop.com/2013/04/04/pr...le-conversion/

Anyone have this done ?

RC Competitor

Above pics are from the above link

RC Competitor
    Last edited by NewUsername; 02-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NewUsername View Post
    That is so bad ***** I can't believe how nice that looks.

RC Competitor
    How do you like those tires for crawling ?

RC Competitor
    Not really sure honestly, I just got them a few days ago. The only thing I've done is a bit of high speed dirt/mud runs, and some hill climbing. Haven't tried on rocks yet, but I'm would guess by the semi-soft rubber compound and the big spaced treads that they would be pretty good. I'm haven't even vented the tires yet....and the wheels aren't vented. I will say the beadlocks have held the bead perfectly so far....even with full throttle high speed 4s brushless bashing. I really like these tires so far....makes my truck more of a Summit LT XL.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for info. I went with the mamba monster and just order those tires. I should be getting the batteries in on Thursday but can't use truck because I am doing the power up with castle creations

RC Competitor
    Well just shipped out the motor and esc for the repower with castle creations. I just for my exceed tires in. I also order a set of erevo tires for bashing. Batteries just came in. So I'm getting excited about this little build. Now my next question about converting my summit to lt. I see there is regular slayer parts and slayer pro parts. Could I use slayer pro parts to make the truck 1" wider then the regular slayer?

RC Competitor
    Not really sure honestly, I just got them a few days ago. The only thing I've done is a bit of high speed dirt/mud runs, and some hill climbing. Haven't tried on rocks yet, but I'm would guess by the semi-soft rubber compound and the big spaced treads that they would be pretty good. I'm haven't even vented the tires yet....and the wheels aren't vented. I will say the beadlocks have held the bead perfectly so far....even with full throttle high speed 4s brushless bashing. I really like these tires so far....makes my truck more of a Summit LT XL.
    I'm having clearance issue did you use any spacers ? Or shave anything?

RC Competitor
    Well i have an odd setup. I'm running slayer pro arms for a narrower stance. I also am using offset hubs because the slayer width was a little bit too narrow for my liking.
    ....but here's a pic of the inside of the wheel. I don't use the inner bead lock....I glued it up.I also dremeled the bumps where the screws would go into the wheel, as seen in the picture

RC Competitor
    I don't think you need extended hubs. I'm pretty sure everything clears with stock hubs.....if you remove bead lock ring and glue.
    I can check if standard hubs work. Let me know.

RC Competitor
    Well i have an odd setup. I'm running slayer pro arms for a narrower stance. I also am using offset hubs because the slayer width was a little bit too narrow for my liking.
    ....but here's a pic of the inside of the wheel. I don't use the inner bead lock....I glued it up.I also dremeled the bumps where the screws would go into the wheel, as seen in the picture
    Okay cool that's what I was thinking. I'm going to have to Dremel the inside of the wheel and glue it. Do you if it's just dremeled in the inside with no spacers would it work ? Or vs versus if I get spacer would it work without Dremel ?

RC Competitor
    I don't think you need extended hubs. I'm pretty sure everything clears with stock hubs.....if you remove bead lock ring and glue.
    I can check if standard hubs work. Let me know.
    Okay cool let me know if stocks will work. Love the look of your summit so I want to give it a try

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    How is performance like this vs stock width? I know some will be sacrificed, but I really like this look!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    How is performance like this vs stock width? I know some will be sacrificed, but I really like this look!
    I have not had the time to do the conversion yet as I wanted to wait till I installed the brushless mamba monster 2 kit. I finally ran two battery's through the truck with the brushless setup and I have to say wow this thing is crazy powerful and can't wait to take it to the track and play around with it. I really love this truck as you can do so much with it. I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and go for the conversion just so I can do more crawling with it as the local course is all setup for scalers and my truck is about 2-3" to wide. I'm also thinking this would also help with stability being lower center of gravity with the slash setup. Here is a couple of updated pics from today

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyU View Post
    Okay cool that's what I was thinking. I'm going to have to Dremel the inside of the wheel and glue it. Do you if it's just dremeled in the inside with no spacers would it work ? Or vs versus if I get spacer would it work without Dremel ?
    Well looking into it is see I could go ahead and shave the inside of the rim and go with these rims and tires.

RC Qualifier
    Must resist...must resist...

Great trucks guys...ya'll have got me wanting another crawler!
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

RC Competitor
    Well looking into it is see I could go ahead and shave the inside of the rim and go with these rims and tires.
    Sorry,I was busy yesterday Jonny and didn't have the chance to check if they would fit without the extended hubs. I'm almost positive they will as long as you don't use the bead lock ring and do the dremel work.

RC Competitor
    Sorry,I was busy yesterday Jonny and didn't have the chance to check if they would fit without the extended hubs. I'm almost positive they will as long as you don't use the bead lock ring and do the dremel work.
    No problem. You are right it will fit without the the extension. I just need to remove locker and Dremel a little. Do you feel truck is more stable with the slayer control arms and suspension?

RC Competitor
    I wouldn't really say it's more stable. The giant wide stock summit is probably more stable...its just so wide. So it'll be harder to roll over sideways. I would say it's more stable end to end up steep hills...because the truck with smaller tires sits lower.
    But the Summit with slayer arms and smaller tires is much much more nimble. It turns much more quickly and handles less sluggishly. It's also much easier on diffs and servos....much less size and weight to move around with smaller tires. I was rebuilding diffs and servos often on the stock Summit(I am very rough and like fast brushless systems), but since I converted the Summit over there's been much less drive train repairs. It's more of a true 10th scale truck now, and matches the 1/10 scale size diffs Traxxas designed into their 1/8 scale monster.

RC Competitor
    Well finally had some time on my hands. Started my lt conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Nice! I love my conversion now that it is complete. I recently dumped the stock ESC and went to a Sidewinder 8th, much better. Now I can run on 2s, 3s, 4s...etc. For crawling, I generally run 2s and just keep a spare battery in the other side for extended run time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    Nice! I love my conversion now that it is complete. I recently dumped the stock ESC and went to a Sidewinder 8th, much better. Now I can run on 2s, 3s, 4s...etc. For crawling, I generally run 2s and just keep a spare battery in the other side for extended run time.
    I run two 2s SPC 8200 batts and they last a long time. I'm pretty excited to be so close to finishing up this build.

RC Qualifier
    I run two 2s SPC 8200 batts and they last a long time. I'm pretty excited to be so close to finishing up this build.
    Very cool. Get your springs sorted out...that's the hardest part with Slayer arms?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    Very cool. Get your springs sorted out...that's the hardest part with Slayer arms?
    Not sure yet. I'm running the ones you recommend but have not tried them out. I'm still working on trimming body and adjusting bumpers

RC Competitor
    I think I'm happy with bump heights. I had to flip the front bracket upside down and leave the rear as normal

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    Okay what a pain in the rear.. Just installed tekno sway bar kit in my summit. I had to modify the shift system as I didn't want to loose the locking diff.

RC Qualifier
    Interesting, love the truck, but why put a sway bar on a crawler?

RC Racer
    I thought the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Well like I said I need to keep up with my son at the track. Lol I'm kind of building a all around crawling track racer. I know it can't be excellent in both worlds but I figure it shouldn't do to bad

RC Competitor
    Well tried it out on the street. The truck handles well. A little bouncy but not to bad. Only thing is it's a lot slower. I'm thinking because of smaller diameter wheels and tires. Anyone experience this ? Its probably as fast as it was with the 775 motor

RC Competitor
    Okay had a disaster painting. I never knew you can't use regular spray paint to paint these bodies. The paint just bubbles and never dries. I had to try my best to clean up the mess and salvage the body. Here some pics of the final paint job.