RC Competitor

Nerves and a scary situation

So, the other night (Sunday night) I was flying my aton. The third or fourth time since it crashed on its own.

I flew it Sunday morning for 1 battery (i only have one) and i was flying between Film and Fast modes. Landing to change the mode. Had no issues. Tried my first flips and had a great time, i even let it hover over my street for about 3 minutes while i ran in my shop and checked on how my parts that i powder coated and were cooking were doing.

0 issues. Flew the rest of the battery, again between film and fast modes and was great.

Landed the quad and went to lunch for Valentines day (gotta keep her happy too)

Later that night, after sleeping off the food coma i wanted to do some more flying. It was relatively windy but nothing i havent flown it in before.

Heres where things got scary.

Flew in the same spot as earlier in the day, waited for all 4 status lights to light up and go solid green before taking off.

Took off in Film mode, and remained in film mode for the entire flight

Climbed up to about 150 feet if i had to guess, had my camera on the Aton. And everything seemed fine. I spun it around a couple of times, then ascended higher. This is where i seemed to lose control. It just kept climbing (or seemed to from the ground)! It took about 5 minutes of flight before i ever seemed to gain control of it again. I was hitting RTH button, Air Brakes button. Everything and nothing seemed to help.

Finally i dropped the throttle all the way to 0 and hit the RTH button a few times while standing in the bed of my truck. Finally it started to descend and i gained control. Let it RTH automatically til it was about 50 or so feet up. Cancelled the RTH with the air brake button, and landed it my self.

This is where im nervous. I am honestly scared to fly this thing anymore. After the first incident, now this one. My faith in its ability to be controlled is dwindling and im about to just sell it for whatever i can get out of it.

Traxxas can we PLEASE get a statement on where we are with this stuff??? That would go a long way

RC Competitor
    I am using the latest firmware and did have a SD card installed at the time.

RC Qualifier
    Man, that's kinda scary. If that sucker falls out of the sky on someone's head you could be in deep...stuff. I hope they get the links out becuase I really want one of these, lol.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Try sending your sd card data to traxxas.
    Last edited by traxxasfan21; 02-16-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Too much power is just enough

RC Racer
    I have an app called UAV Forecast. It tries to determine whether it's a good time to fly based on wind, temp, cloud cover, visibility... One of the things it considers is called Kp. From what I can determine, Kp is a measure of how good (reliable) the signal from GPS satellites is. Apparently things like wind and cloud cover can affect Kp and the quality of GPS data. The app says anything under 4 is acceptable. Mine shows 4 right now (it's pretty windy outside) and recommends not to fly. I don't know if this helps or not, but I'd hate to see you give up on your Aton if it was something a simple as knowing the quality of your GPS signal. Or at least without knowing the source of the problem. I hope you get it resolved.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CuttinEJ View Post
    I have an app called UAV Forecast. It tries to determine whether it's a good time to fly based on wind, temp, cloud cover, visibility... One of the things it considers is called Kp. From what I can determine, Kp is a measure of how good (reliable) the signal from GPS satellites is. Apparently things like wind and cloud cover can affect Kp and the quality of GPS data. The app says anything under 4 is acceptable. Mine shows 4 right now (it's pretty windy outside) and recommends not to fly. I don't know if this helps or not, but I'd hate to see you give up on your Aton if it was something a simple as knowing the quality of your GPS signal. Or at least without knowing the source of the problem. I hope you get it resolved.
    I downloaded the app. Ill check it out.

My SD card is still in my aton,. Havent taken it out yet