What an awesome Quadcopter!

Finally after all the nasty weather we've had, we had a calm afternoon to fly.
    I bought two Alias's for myself and my wife, and got my 70yr old father into one too!
    We flew for about an hour last evening and they did great for the first real flight.

We had so much fun, and I can't believe how agile these little copters are.

Took video but the "file is corrupted" when I tried to load it up to edit it.

But here is a pic of the great sunset that night.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

I like mine but I have a bad circuit board right now so I can't fly it.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

That stinks, send it in to Traxxas for a new one, $20 and your flying again.
    https://latrax.com/sites/all/themes/...LaTrax-LEW.pdf

I had never flown anything RC before, and got the Black Striker quad for Christmas, and now I have another addiction to feed.

But I have my wife and father hooked on flying now so I have people to fly with, I would almost fly everyday if the weather would cooperate.

Ours sat in the boxes for over two weeks between the rain storms, and 20-30mph windy days we have had lately.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

What an awesome Quadcopter!

Tag is really fun with multiple Aliases. I'm just sayin'.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-18-2016 at 12:10 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Once they get their flying skills down we're gonna to some air to air "combat" with tissue party streamers, first one to cut the steamer wins.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crepe-Pape...er-81/27701629

With two total rookie flyers and me in the air too there were a couple of OOOOOOOH that was close moments.

That and one only one tree landing, but it was low enough to shake out, good thing these are durable little guys!

I got the idea from the FightTest crew on YouTube, they were using the foam board planes doing air to air and off the ground drag racing to see who could fly straight up pulling the streamer out through an anchored hoop first.

Skip to 4:40 on the video to get to the flying part.
    http://flitetest.com/articles/Vertical_Drag_Race_Combat

Last edited by Wildman4910; 02-18-2016 at 01:11 AM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

After all the nasty 30mph winds we finally got a nice evening of flying in.

Also changed up the copters, added red lens to the rear of them and red rear props to my Green copter and orange rear props to the wife's Blue copter.

My wife was having a hard time telling which way her copter was going as the white/clear lens's wasn't enough contrast with the blue lens's, now with red lens/orange props configuration its easier to see which end is facing you.

Plus it just looks cool, I like these color combo's much better then the clear lens's & black props.

Also put some RPM landing gear on hers, word of warning-- you need a 0.050 allen wrench for the included screws(which I didn't have).
    But my local Ace had them for 0.35$, at least RPM could do is include screws with a 1.5mm head on them so you could use the included allen wrench your Alias comes with to install them.

I also got some hard cases from Home Depot, the Husky brand for $9 each, I did have to slightly trim the foam to get it to fit but only like a total of 1/4"in.

I did have to deepen the hole in the foam to make room for the RPM landing gear, I just used a large drill bit to make a hole, then hog it out using the bit.

On to the pics!

The lid close's with room to spare even with the "sticks" on the TX instead of the thumb pads.

And the awesome sunset after a good evening of flying!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I did the same box! Just used a 4" sawz'all blade to trim a 1/4" off one long side and angle the corners. Fits nice and snug. I am trying to find a sponge type foam to put on the lid to keep the quad from lifting out of place.
    Bashing Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

I have not had an issue with it lifting out of the foam, though that may be from only having them since January.
    I would think any bit of soft foam that comes in retail packaging would work, just glue it or double side tape it to the lid.
    That or see what your local craft store has, most carry some foam, or go by your local upholstery shop and see if they'll sell/give you some small scrap bits of foam.

I cut very small amounts of the foam off all sides of mine, I used a band saw with a new sharp blade on it though(none of my sawz'all blades are straight!).

Have any of you guys tried Rate/Manual mode yet?
    That is a hoot, had to use the "brakes" button a couple of times & after successfully doing 2 flips, I turned it turtle and lawn darted it, HARD into the ground!
    But other then a scratched canopy it took it like a champ!

I think for now I will save Manual mode for the large park I fly at, there just isn't enough room here at the house for that with all the trees.

And I can see the need to stock up on some spares, as I learn manual mode, and see it's gonna take its toll on the little bug.

Have fun, & keep it Shiny side up!

HaHa, I just noticed the first half of my Sig work equally well for Quadcopters too!
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 03-14-2016 at 05:58 AM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    I don't use manual mode. I'm not good enough yet lol. I tried to put fast mode up to 100% but the auto level won't let me do a complete flip. It'll let it go almost complete vertical but won't let it go past that apex into upside down. Lol

RC Qualifier
    As in manual mode, are you referring to expert mode(2 clicks on right stick), or fast mode(1 click)?

You are correct, it's expert mode, it gives you full manual control over the copter.
    I normally fly in fast mode with it maxed out at 100% on all three controls.

But this gives a new meaning to full control!

Even in fast mode, set like I am it still auto levels, the problem I ran into was limited space & not enough altitude to hit the brakes button to turn fast mode back on to right itself.

It's a good thing these little birds are tough.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Silly Q time.

Is it worth the extra coin spent for better bearings, like Boca ceramic hybrids or even just a bearing with shield's.

The reason I ask is after lawn darting it a few times the rotor shaft bearings were a little gritty, I did clean them out with some alcohol and relubed with turbine oil.

I ordered some spares to have on had for inevitable failures, and was wondering about the bearings and if spending the extra coin was worth it, or a waste as I can buy several sets of AVID bearings for the price of one set of Boca hybrids.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    I noticed that too. Where I fly is a mix of grass and dirt (sports fields) and I notice that if you don't hand launch/catch it then dirt tends to get into the motors bearings and spur gray real bad. I usually keep a small kids toothbrush with me to clean the bearings and gears off after a bad landing. I've seen 1 small grit of sand stop the spur up. And I've gone through a whole set of motors in a month. I'm in set 2 now. With set 3 on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtwizzler97 View Post
    I noticed that too. Where I fly is a mix of grass and dirt (sports fields) and I notice that if you don't hand launch/catch it then dirt tends to get into the motors bearings and spur gray real bad. I usually keep a small kids toothbrush with me to clean the bearings and gears off after a bad landing. I've seen 1 small grit of sand stop the spur up. And I've gone through a whole set of motors in a month. I'm in set 2 now. With set 3 on the box.
    That's why I like the landing gear, it keeps everything up off the ground and the props clear grass if it's not too high

RC Qualifier
    I just flew with two guys from my LHS and for only having the quad for a week they said I am flying really well. These little things are solid! I lawn darted it into the parking lot and it lifted off w no problems.
    It was fun to fly with other pilots and was able to learn a few things as well

Had the grain of sand in the spur gear happen when we were flyin off a hard packed volleyball court.

I ordered spare spur gears, 4 sets of bearings, 2 sets of prop shafts, props, screws, a mainframe, and 2 sets of motors & a set of RPM landing gear for mine.

I figured it's better to have parts on hand for the inevitable breakage's then not to, as the Not so LHS only carrie's the battery for the Alias and nothing else.
    So all the parts I need or will need have to be ordered online and shipped in, or I have drive even further, on into Orlando to get to a HS that has parts in stock.

I figured that should keep us in the air as we really like flyin them, I have 8 batteries between the two of us & I am thinking of ordering at least 4 more if not 8 more.

I normally see about 11-12min out of a stock battery and I'm kinda hard on them, hard on the throttle carving up the air.
    My wife does a little better then me as she's still getting the feel for flying, but she does well.

I gotta do a little diggin and see who flys around here and where as we would love to have other people to fly with.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

My 4 Port Charger

Here's a quick video I made on the Hitec X4 charger I use for the Alias batteries.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    I've had mine now for a week and it's a blast. I have had a quad before maybe a yr or two ago. I started with the hubsan x4 mini quad and it was fun. But not being in the flying thing for a couple years made me a little rusty but once I got back to my comfort zone I started to get better, great little quad. The first pack I out through it took a few crashes but have not broke anything yet. Very strong quad. Love it.. Now I want the Aton lol
    Last edited by Rcjunky2002; 03-19-2016 at 09:37 PM.

I got a Syma X5 clone for Christmas, and got hooked on quadcopters, got both my wife and my father hooked too.
    So after looking around at whats out there, I figured for $100 shipped to my door, and the parts support & cust service of Traxxas I couldn't go wrong.
    And I was right, we fly the props off ours.
    I did order 2 extra sets of motors to have on hand, as they are tiny brushed motors and sooner or later after Lawn Darting them one's gonna end up with a bum motor.
    But $27 a set of 4 to my door is dirt cheap to keep my little bugs in the air.

I had thought of getting something bigger, or maybe even an Aton, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money till I was sure I was going to stick with it, so i have about $300 total in our bugs/batterys/charger/extra parts/cases.

I have been thinking of getting the $50 Spectrum FPV cam and a cheap pair of goggles, but haven't bought any of it yet.
    Maybe after I get Expert mode down a little better I'll go the FPV route.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    Lol i've been flying on beginner mode for two weeks now I just don't trust myself yet, I have however tried fast mode so I could do a couple flips but immediately switched back over to beginner mode. I'm afraid to use expert mode because the last time I tried flying a helicopter without 6 Axis I demolished it lol

Here is how I am learning expert mode.

After watching a ton of videos, one recommended to turn the rate's down to 40% and get a feel for it that way.

And that's what I am doing, and while it's not easy I am getting better at it and want to get to the point were the rates are at 100% and I can flip and roll it with ease like Zigg does(he has videos up top in the video thread, check him out!)

This way you get a feel for it with all the self level features off but not enough control to let it get completely out of wack.

Also if you get into trouble in expert mode hold the left shoulder button down to put it into fast mode and engage the accelerometer and auto-level function & then let go of it to go back to expert mode.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    Wow that's some great info man. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to walk through this stuff it's awesome.

Good advice! Take the time to play with the rates in all modes when you're just learning.

RC Competitor
    I looked in the manual to see if there was instructions on how to change the rates but I didn't see anything can someone send me a link to the instructions or briefly explain to me how to do it ?

There is alot of info online that's not in the manual.

https://latrax.com/sites/default/fil...e-Settings.pdf

RC Competitor
    Your awesome man. Thanks this just helped a lot. A lot of people say in learning we should practice in expert mode but turn down the rates. Just a lil worried cause last time I tried anything that didn't have 6 axis I destroyed a nice heli lol.

The best part of these little copters is they don't weigh much, meaning when you get into trouble, chop the throttle.
    90% of the time they just bounce off the ground, turn them shiny side and resume flying.

I found myself crashing more then flying with the higher rates in expert mode, which can be discouraging, after seeing this video and turning down the expert mode rates I spend more time learning uncensored flying then crashing now.
    Thought I still am not very good at expert mode I am learning.

Good info can be hard to come by, I really wish we had more flyers around my area to share their knowledge.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    I live in a small town where no one flies, and when someone sees an rc they are really interested to find out what it is, where can it be bought, how much it is, but they never ask how hard it is to fly lol. I've seen people go buy a 500.00 rc plane and crash he first time out. I love this little quad. I started out flying inside with it and now I have been going outside more with it and it's so much more fun. I rarely even fly inside anymore. I took wildmans advice and stopped flying inside. It's not really fun inside because in my house i'm Limited to fly space so I find myself just hovering. No fun in that

RC Competitor
    So today i got the day off and thought it would be a good day to fly. I bit windy out but u know I think if I took the guards off it may not be so bad. For some reason I think it would fly better without them. I'm getting better with it now. So i'm gonna give it a shot. Will try to get some footage. Loving this little bird

RC Competitor
    well, i got to fly it without the prop guards, and let me say it flies so smooth without them. for a while when using the quad with the guards i thought something was wrong with the quad because it would wobble significantly and it was harder to fly. now without them it flies like a new quad so im probably never going to use these again. so they are up for grabs if anyone wants them. also, i think i got more flight time, and more speed, much more fun to fly. i am waiting to get ths video loaded up. as soon as it gets done, i will post it. i got 9:41 out of it with no problems, and before it felt like 5min. crazy. i feel like i love this thing more now. I should have listened to the OP about running without the guards.

Well, it's been fun learning to fly the bugs, I have been flying more in manual mode lately then in fast mode.
    And I've been doing well flying manual mode, I've learned to keep it stable and how to do flips & rolls.

To date I've killed 2 props, 4 bearings, 1 led lens, had 2 batteries puff(4 charges on 1 & 8 (1.37hrs) on the other) and tonight I killed a motor.
    It sounds like a zip tie, and no longer spills out after a flip/roll.

I can't complain though, my Alias has an easy 6+ hours of hard flight time on it & Lawn Darting it.
    So I plan to pick up a set of both stock motors and some MMW fast motors.

Overall I love flying my Alias, as soon as i figure out how to make my video editor work I'll post a couple of short vids.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Great news!
    My new motors came in today and the install was easy.

New props to replace the bent & damaged one and a new led cover to replace the broken one, the RPM landing gear does put extra strain on the lens when you have a hard landing.

Flight test went perfect, and the Little Bug flys like it's supposed to again.
    It now has lots of punch out, and no longer struggles to gain altitude.

Now this nasty, soggy weather just needs to clear out and it'll be time to fly!

On a side note, what is the safest way/procedure to dispose of puffed Lipo's, 2 of mine are seriously puffed.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    i hear best buy will take them. however you must fully discharge them. If under year old call traxxas may replace for free i am told. hope this helps

RC Competitor
    Hey wildman, nice to se your still flying. I haven't had much time to fly lately my quad has been sitting in the box for over 2 months now. Went to fly it last night for the first time in months and the battery only lasted 4 minutes and I wasn't even flying aggressively. Would you say my battery is on its way out? Or maybe e charger is failing?

Could the battery not have been charged completely?

I have never used the charger that comes the Alias, I already had the HiTec charger when I bought the Alias's.

Has there been any puffing of the battery?

I got really short flights right before 2 of my 8 Alias batteries puffed on me.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!