Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RC Racer
    I got the new tx but I'm busy today with kids at the dentist.tomorrow I will test the new tx and see if everything is good.

RC Racer
    Flew the Aton today and it's all good again! I missed it while It was down but got some fpv time in with my 250 racer and loved it also.thanks for the suggestions

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    I really REALLY like this idea!

If indeed any issues are caused by losing connectivity to the TX, just for that reason only I would do this. The cool benefit for FPV is icing on the gravy... or something...
    Judging by the diminutive size of the interior antenna it seems logical that greater capture and transmitting size would achieve an increase in sending and receiving ability. Jon in Kingston

RC Competitor
    Howdy guys, I have done everything in the videos for the range extended mod. I have a couple of questions, I separated the antenna shielded wire from outer wire. Soldered antenna to correct spot and ground to the other. However, i am not getting any additional range from what i had before. It is about the same range. Any ideas of what is going on? I can take pictures of what i did if that will help. Thank you for your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    How are you testing range and what is the indication you aren't getting extended range?

Have you extended your geofence distance?

RC Competitor
    Geofence is set to unlimited and it wont go out of line of sight. Kind of odd. Maybe not a great solder joint or something. I will resolder and report if any changes.

RC Competitor
    I have the ant from traxxas . It has a simple push plug. Where is the ground wire coming from and how is the stock ant hooked up. Just like to know what I'm gettin into. Thanks for the mission planner video it got me rolling.

RC Competitor
    No changes. Cant get any additional range with the amplified antenna. So bummed. Any ideas?

RC poster
    Maybe you're having issues with your antenna polarisation?
    Vertical and horizontal polarisation do not mix quite efficiently.

The quad has the antenna in the horizontal plane (in the legs), so if you use the antenna on your transmitter in the vertical plane you will loose a lot of range. Maybe you can try to either mod the antenna in the quad or - for test - use the antenna on your TX in the horizontal plane as well (sticking out or sideways in stead of sticking up).

My guess is that the best consistent result would be achieved by modifying the quad antenna to have to use vertical polarization....

G

RC Qualifier
    Quick thanks to Reavesbj. I finally got around to adding the antenna you had very generously sent me.
    And a quick note to whom ever has tried this mod, the soldering was NOT super easy. It took me a third attempt before I got it to work correctly. First two times I tried soldering the pigtail directly to the board but either the mainine or the ground didn't get a perfect connection not sure what or why, range did not improve.
    The third attempt now with the pigtail half as long I soldered 1/4" jumper wires to the board then soldered the antenna wires to them.
    That worked like a charm. Unverified distance seems to be at least 1000'. And verified much more consistent connection in the 600-800' range. Not 1 drop out.
    I get some pictures up another time. I didn't take any as I got frustrated with the first 2 attempts failing.
    If it didn't work the last time I was going to put it back to stock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I've added the wifi booster like mentioned in this thread and it seems to help a great deal indeed. Flew 3300' (1km) today and turned back without RTH.

edit: seems that I did need to supply the booster with 5V instead of the 3.7V from a 1S lipo. So i used a 2S lipo with a LM7805 to get to 5V and fed that to the booster.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dilemma; 07-18-2016 at 12:50 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reavesbj View Post
    [/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    Quick thanks to Reavesbj. I finally got around to adding the antenna you had very generously sent me.
    And a quick note to whom ever has tried this mod, the soldering was NOT super easy. It took me a third attempt before I got it to work correctly. First two times I tried soldering the pigtail directly to the board but either the mainine or the ground didn't get a perfect connection not sure what or why, range did not improve.
    The third attempt now with the pigtail half as long I soldered 1/4" jumper wires to the board then soldered the antenna wires to them.
    That worked like a charm.

So I'm about to pull the plug on the antenna mod and the back light mod in this video.

https://youtu.be/6IfLl8WyQ1A

I'm no profesional but very comfortable with my soldering skills yet I'm avoiding the least amount of soldering directly to the board. I plan to just install the Traxxas antenna in my picture and the same leds used in the video. It's obvious I need to solder the inside antenna wires to the board and my switch power for the leds. Now my question is isn't a ground a ground? Meaning I love the jumper lead idea and instead of soldering a random ground on the board for the leds, can't I just solder it all to the battery ground wire that I installed the JST plug on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aton E-Revo Spartan
    BJv3/XR10

RC Qualifier
    Not all grounds are equal in standard integrated circuits. I'm not sure if and where on this particular board the grounds are the same, if you have a multimeter you can test for continuity.

RC Enthusiast
    I have no problem copying both instructions to a T. I'm just trying to simplify things is all. I don't have a volt meter and wouldn't know what I'm looking for.
    Aton E-Revo Spartan
    BJv3/XR10

RC Competitor
    I am trying to figure out why you would want to fly your Aton over a 1,000 feet away. Can you even see it at that range?
    You can't fix stupid.

RC Qualifier
    I fly FPV so line of sight isn't a limiting factor.

RC Enthusiast
    I just fly mine for fun and I'm just trying to get a cleaner signal. I fly at my house in town a lot which is on a hill and surrounded by power lines and WiFi. I do get random RTH when flying at home. I can still see it good 2 city blocks away which is around 700' especially at night. I did switch my colors out to mainly orange and blue so visibility is a lot better than stock red.
    Aton E-Revo Spartan
    BJv3/XR10

RC poster
    Reavesbj

Enjoyed many of your video's. I decided to try your mod and ordered the 2W amp with the external antenna. Mine came with a single wire connection for the antenna. Do I need to get a shielded wire connection instead? Would the external antenna without the amplifier still improve the signal?

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

RC Competitor
    I believe the shielding needs to be exposed. It is under the outer coating.

RC poster
    Not on the wire they sent me. This is not coax cable. It is strictly the center wire only. Do I need to swap it out for a piece of coaxial instead? It is only a few inches long, but there would be no ground going to the antenna adapter unless I swap it for coax or run a separate ground to the antenna adapter.

RC poster
    Lavaheadache,

I apologize, you were right. The wire is indeed coaxial. Now the question is, how hard is it to strip this tiny wire.

RC poster
    I went to install coax cable and luckily for me, I used a multimeter to check cable and discovered that the cable was shorted in the connector end that was to be mounted to the transmitter case. Frustrated with having to wait for a replacement I dismantled an old Belkin router I had laying around and took the cable and connector out of that system. The next discovery I made with my multimeter was that the point where I was suppose to solder a ground seemed to have continuity with the antenna post? Not sure what to do now?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345