RC poster

fusible link issues

I was testing new gears on my X-maxx yesterday.
    I was runing on an old tarmac road.
    First I tried using 22T pinion and 50T Spur. It worked ok, but didn't get the speed I expected.
    Disappointed with that, I change to 25T/46T.
    But to my surprise, the car maxxed out at 67 km/h. The car lost all it's power. I couldn't get it up on two wheels.
    And after running 4 stretches, each about 200m in total, I noticed smoke from the car.
    I stopped and checked the temp on both ESC and engine. ESC was below 35 degrees celsius and engine just over 50.
    So I opened it and saw that the fusible link was burned off.

I replaced it with the original cable and all of a sudden I had a totally new car.
    First run I flipped it at 75 km/h and I had troubles keeping all four wheels on the ground, even when I ran 85 km/h.
    Even then it had much more power to give. With a dry road, getting it over 90-95 km/h should be easy.
    I do have a temp-monitor on the ESC as well, and it never got above 50 degrees celsius.

The problem here is the fusible link.
    It turns the lion into a pussycat.

What is the point with having such powerful engine, if the ESC or fusible link can't support it with power?
    My guess is that the ESC is really the weak part here and to avoid that from burning the car up, they changed the link cable.

Anyone else having the same issues with the fusible link/ESC?

RC Racer
    Negative comments about traxxas and the fusible link.... prepare for the admins to close this down.

RC Racer
    Hmm, looks like the link maybe had a too high resistance?

Has somebody touched the fuse link wire after/during a hard run? Does it get warm?

RC poster
    there is a difference on off the line launch's between the two . me and my buddy both have one . his dose not have the fusible link. and mine dose . how ever he has had clutch issues . and I have only tightened mine only once . we are both running 6600 75c battery's , and the stock gearing . so I will deal with it being a 10th of a second slower . it still wheelies and rips just fine.

RC poster
    My one didn't have the fusible link at first. Traxxas sent one to me just after I got the car. Didn't even know about the problems then. So just replaced it like they said and yesterday was the first real test of it. It didn't last long.

RC Competitor
    It's a fuse. It's not going to slow your car down. It sounds like with that gearing your esc got hot and was overheating.
    Last edited by Typhoon92; 02-22-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Tibbsy, did all of your speed tests have the same batteries with the exact same charge on them. Comparing the link with the non link setup with the same batteries and the same voltage would lead me to believe there is something suspect with your fuse link as well.

I'm curious, contact Traxxas and get a new link, try it again and see what results you see. Video or it never happened - hehe
    "RED"

RC Competitor
    What I want to know is why we see no rollers on fleabay did traxxas prevent this some how, jeez the admins are slow today..
    Last edited by John McClane; 02-22-2016 at 02:04 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon92 View Post
    It's a fuse. It's not going to slow your car down. It sounds like with that gearing your esc got hot and was overheating.
    Nope. I even have a temp-sensor mounted on the outside of the ESC. 35 degrees celsius when the cable burned off.
    When I replaced it with the orignal cable, it maxed out at 50 Celsius. Engine never got above 60 Celsius.
    I don't think it is a ESC-problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Tibbsy, did all of your speed tests have the same batteries with the exact same charge on them. Comparing the link with the non link setup with the same batteries and the same voltage would lead me to believe there is something suspect with your fuse link as well.
    Yes and Yes. It was the exact same batteries. They are 3S, 25C, 10000mAh. I only have two batteries :-)
    I only ran the car a few minutes before the fuse burned. It was the first time I had a chance to pull the throttle to max since I changed the cable. I got home, charged the batteries and changed cable and then returned to test again.

If I could get a a new link, I would. But at the moment they are not in store in Sweden yet.
    It might actually be worth getting one just to get it on video.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    What I want to know is why we see no rollers on fleabay did traxxas prevent this some how, jeez the admins are slow today..
    Hmm, you might try setting up a roller for sale on ebay and see if it allows it?

This is a private forum and if you have a problem with its operations then it may not be the place for you.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...havior-(Rules)

Now back on topic.
    The Super Derecho

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibbsy View Post
    Nope. I even have a temp-sensor mounted on the outside of the ESC. 35 degrees celsius when the cable burned off.
    When I replaced it with the orignal cable, it maxed out at 50 Celsius. Engine never got above 60 Celsius.
    I don't think it is a ESC-problem.

Yes and Yes. It was the exact same batteries. They are 3S, 25C, 10000mAh. I only have two batteries :-)
    I only ran the car a few minutes before the fuse burned. It was the first time I had a chance to pull the throttle to max since I changed the cable. I got home, charged the batteries and changed cable and then returned to test again.

If I could get a a new link, I would. But at the moment they are not in store in Sweden yet.
    It might actually be worth getting one just to get it on video.
    Have a look at the gearing chart. That gear ratio is very deep into the "DO NOT RUN" category. There is a reason for that. You are overdrawing the ESC with that gear ratio. Just because gears will fit, does not mean you can or should run them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gearing.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	1365  
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 02-23-2016 at 01:08 PM.

I would like a bit more speed, anyone know if there is a difference between a 18 pinion vs 20 pinion with stock spur?
    (ignoring the gearing chart)

Will this one work?
    http://stockholm.reservdelsrc.com/pr...cing-20t-mod-1

Thanks for any replies.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    I would like a bit more speed, anyone know if there is a difference between a 18 pinion vs 20 pinion with stock spur?
    (ignoring the gearing chart)

Will this one work?
    http://stockholm.reservdelsrc.com/pr...cing-20t-mod-1

Thanks for any replies.
    Well, you cannot use a 20T with the stock spur gear. They physically will not fit together. You can use 18/54, however that is at the limit of what it can take. That would be for on-road use only. You could physically mesh an 20/50 combo, but that will overload the system. You should not use this combo.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 02-23-2016 at 06:57 PM.

fusible link issues

Quote Originally Posted by vwp6269 View Post
    Negative comments about traxxas and the fusible link.... prepare for the admins to close this down.
    Please do not feed the trolls.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =