Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Summitbasher, a 2200kv motor is a 4S motor in my opinion. I know people do it all the time, but running it at voltages higher than 4S puts it way outside of it's efficiency range. The Max 6 is a 8S ESC, so it's overkill for the ERBE in my opinion, which used to be my go-to truck before I got the X-Maxx. If you went to a 1200-1600kv motor, I can see using a Max 6 on 6S. Now, if it's speed runs on pavement that you're doing, then perhaps what I've said does not apply. I believe a Mamba Monster or rebranded Castle factory ESC is plenty for a ERBE for off-road bashing, but if overkill is your thing then go all-out!

RC Champion
    Hi guys just bought me Xmaxx couple days ago,but haven't even ran it anyways if I were to switch the factory ESC to Max6 esc do I need to also buy a programmer for the max6?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Max6XMaxx View Post
    Derpz, my run times are short because I'm running on 3 acres of mostly open grass and dirt, so I'm full throttle or hard braking most of time. Kind of like circuit racing, doing touch and goes around various places of the property, seeing how fast I get from one point to another. The shortest run time I've got was 19 minutes with voltages resting at 3.65V per cell after the batteries cooled back down. The longest run I've had was 24 minutes with the batteries averaging 3.58V per cell after resting for about 10 minutes. I estamate most people just bashing would get about twice that amount of time.
    Makes sense, that tends to be my style too, I like to constantly ram the throttle. With Savage XL it's no issue since it's nitro and I just keep filling the tank

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    Hi guys just bought me Xmaxx couple days ago,but haven't even ran it anyways if I were to switch the factory ESC to Max6 esc do I need to also buy a programmer for the max6?
    You don't HAVE to buy the programmer. It just makes things easier though you can still program the esc via a basic beep/led method.

RC Champion
    Oh ok cool thanks..anymore suggestions would be appreciated,,this is my first electric vehicle so I really don't have much experience with it..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    Oh ok cool thanks..anymore suggestions would be appreciated,,this is my first electric vehicle so I really don't have much experience with it..
    Really? Your first? I truly just recommend you run it stock for now. You have a lot to learn and it's my personal belief that too many new guys buy a kit, jump on a forum and start ordering parts based on what they see others do. Your first R/C vehicle can be your last if you dump a lot of money out front then start experiencing issues.

Run it stock, learn about lipos, what temp ranges you should expect given different terrain, how gearing effects performance by actually playing with it then move on.

A lot of guys here have been there done that, that's why many switch out things off the bat, they know what they prefer and what to expect. Don't over think it nor spend too much time in the forums, go out and just enjoy while learning. You'll get there in time:-)

RC Champion
    Yes this is my first electric rc,I used to have hpi savage,Baja 5b,and Traxxas nitro 4-tec ��
    As of right now all I've ordered is the CC dual fan since it gets too hot here in CA especially summer time..but anyways thank u for the suggestions��

RC Enthusiast
    Hello

The X- maxx it is much more efficient with the hobbywing Max6 in 6S ?

RC Racer
    What are people setting there punch rate at for the Max6?
    Like to get some ideals for a good starting point.
    E-Revo, E-Maxx, X-Maxx, Aton Quad

RC Racer
    damSP, I'm not sure if the ESC upgrade is more efficient, but it's certainly more effective and better suited for this truck. As far as efficiency, it flows more amps, so it's very possible to get less run time after making the switch.

Tinkeringman, the default punch setting is 3, with 1-5 being options. I did my first run this morning using punch setting 4 and I didn't see any change. In fact, it seemed to have less punch than previously, but that's the opposite of what was supposed to happen. I'll experiment more and post my opinion in the near future. That being said, the default setting will have far more punch than the stock ESC! To me it felt like the punch of the stock ESC varied throughout the run, often giving me unpredictable throttle response.

RC Racer
    Thanks
    I noticed more and more getting the Max6. It seems to be the ESC of choice. Plus I like how it fits perfect in the truck.
    E-Revo, E-Maxx, X-Maxx, Aton Quad

RC poster
    Hi guys

What punch setting are you running on your max6? Just installed so still running the default level 3 of 5. Can the motor/esc cope with any higher or am I best leave it at 3?

Thanks!

RC poster
    Ignore me! Just noticed someone's asked the same thing above!

RC Qualifier
    I have tried all settings. Currently running option 5= no punch at all. Putīs a good strain on the batts, but man it moves!

RC Enthusiast
    Here is a little bashing around video of my xmaxx with the max6 esc, 18/50 gearing, and smc 9000 lipos.

https://youtu.be/oJDIQSKUY0o

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by steveomaxx517 View Post
    Where can a person get a maxx 6 ESC,seems to be hard to find.always on backorder everywhere
    I just ordered it from the HobbyWing North America site for $159 with free shipping.

http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/xerun-xr6-esc

RC Champion
    Cool video makes wanna order the Max6 already even though I haven't even took my Xmaxx out of the box since I got it last week..��

RC Racer
    Some people have had great success with the stock ESC, even geared up to 18/54, so I'd say try it stock to see if it runs well without overheating.

RC Champion
    That's what I'm about to do as soon as the rain stops here...��

RC Competitor
    Some people have had great success with the stock ESC, even geared up to 18/54, so I'd say try it stock to see if it runs well without overheating.
    With all the issues we are hearing about I figured why risk it. I could always sell the stock ESC on eBay for around $120 so it only cost me $40 to upgrade.

RC Racer
    so fellow x-maxxers what is the hobbywing esc Part # that I need to order so I can upgrade my beast
    Fortenwinkler

RC Racer
    hello fellow x-maxxers. I want to purchase hobbywing esc so is there a specific part number I need?
    Fortenwinkler

RC Racer
    I would like to upgrade to hobbywing esc. what part number should I order? Thanks in advance
    Fortenwinkler

Quote Originally Posted by tnafe View Post
    I just ordered it from the HobbyWing North America site for $159 with free shipping.

http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/xerun-xr6-esc
    This is the link you want for the Hobbywing ESC.
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

RC Racer
    I was wrong about the Max 6 not needing it's fan. Today I geared up to 17/50 and managed to overheat the ESC in about 12 minutes of hamming the throttle on a 72 degree F day. So I installed a 60mm fan on top of the ESC and all seems to be well now. The fan fits perfectly between the rails once the tab is trimmed from the rail. Power is improved over the 16T pinion, almost to the point of being uncontrollable! Also, I went to to level 5 punch and I have found self-leveling to be very violent now. I probably won't use it much at this punch level because it's just begging to break something! On the plus side, self-leveling works very quickly now, requiring very few back-and-forths to flip itself over. I'm scared it's going to rip a tire off in the meantime though! Here's a picture with the second fan installed.

X-Maxx, Slash 4x4 LCG, ZMR250 Quadcopter

RC Champion
    Is the fan always on when battery is hook up?or u have on/off switch for it?

RC Racer
    Both fans are always on when the truck is powered. I went with a second 60mm fan because I can easily remove debris from it using compressed air. Debris trapped in the standard ESC fan/shroud assembly were impossible to get out without removing the entire fan/shroud, which was difficult given how tight the space is in that area.
    Last edited by Max6XMaxx; 03-08-2016 at 07:23 AM.

RC Champion
    Oh ok cool,just waiting on my fans to arrive before I run the truck and before weather gets too hot here,,a little concern of th esc when temp here hits 90's to triple digit weather...wonder if it's even safe to run the Xmaxx on summer time

RC Champion
    Well finally got to run the truck,,gotta say I'm impress even with the stock gearing,,did have a problem popping wheelie on pavement,,but I only got a 10-15 run time on lipo 5000mah 3s 25c but I think that battery was only half charge cuz I just pop it in right out of the box..but down side I accidentally hit the switch on the trx from 50/50 to 70/30 and truck just went uncontrollable and flip 5 times now it has some scratches now����

RC Champion
    Also truck kinda loss power and the esc is blinking slow red what does that mean?so I just went ahead and unplug the battery hope the esc is fine..

RC Competitor
    Slow red blink is low voltage cutoff.

RC Champion
    Oh ok cool I thought I fried my esc...

RC Racer
    looking for some info and tips on how to mount HW max 6 to my truck
    Fortenwinkler

RC Racer
    How did you mount your HWmax6 to your chassis?
    Fortenwinkler

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by classicchevy View Post
    How did you mount your HWmax6 to your chassis?
    I'm sure it was done with "servo tape" or 3M double sided tape. That's how most ESC and receivers are mounted.

RC Champion
    Should I get Maxx 6 ESC or a couple of extra batteries??can't decide.😏

RC Champion
    Looks like its a good esc, good features. Price is good. i'm not sure if the max 5 would be over kill, but it does offer 40amps more capacity, larger foot print and its 100$ more. But should run more efficient.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Racer
    For 8S use, I think the Max 5 is the way to go. For people content with 6S, I think the Max 6 is the winner, hands down because it mounts in the factory location. For those that think 6S isn't enough, come to Southern Louisiana and see my truck run. It's brutally powerful geared 17/50!

RC Racer
    For those that think 6S isn't enough, come to Southern Louisiana and see my truck run. It's brutally powerful geared 17/50!

I tried both 6s and 8s on my XMaxx with 29/54 gearing and I must say there's a night and day difference. All I'll write is, with 8s you don't know what you're missing until you try it. I'm sure 6s is good enough for most, it's tamed by comparison.

RC Racer
    I'm sure 8S is in a different league compared to 6S. However, in my opinion, people that think this truck needs 8S are the same folks that think the E-Revo needs 6S. I ran my E-Revo BL on 6S all of one time and never again. For me, there's nothing fun about having so much power that I can't ever hit full throttle. It's all a matter of preference, but I'm sure nobody's 8S X-Maxx is any faster than my truck running on any kind of off-road terrain.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast