Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Racer
    xboxice- I had a similar issue with debris in my Max6's fan. So I removed it altogether and ziptied an aftermarket fan above the ESC between the rails. It has worked excellent and never once have I had anything stuck underneath the fan that I couldn't easily blow out with light compressed air. Check out my post #65 earlier in this thread if you want to go that route.
    Last edited by Max6XMaxx; 09-21-2016 at 06:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Would like to try your fan set up,where did you get these fans on post #65,an where did you power them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Max6XMaxx View Post
    xboxice- I had a similar issue with debris in my Max6's fan. So I removed it altogether and ziptied an aftermarket fan above the ESC between the rails. It has worked excellent and never once have I had anything stuck underneath the fan that I couldn't easily blow out with light compressed air. Check out my post #65 earlier in this thread if you want to go that route.
    Nice,im gonna pull it out soon

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by steveomaxx517 View Post
    Would like to try your fan set up,where did you get these fans on post #65,an where did you power them.
    You can find them on ebay They're 60mmx60mm I'm running one on my leopard motor..if your going same as his u can just get y connector and plug it on the esc fan port..or one on esc fan port and the other one plug it in the available port inside the receiver.
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    You can find them on ebay They're 60mmx60mm I'm running one on my leopard motor..if your going same as his u can just get y connector and plug it on the esc fan port..or one on esc fan port and the other one plug it in the available port inside the receiver.
    OK, newb question. What voltage rating for the fan?
    Rustler VXL, Slash Ultimate, X Maxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetfeva2 View Post
    OK, newb question. What voltage rating for the fan?
    Get one that is 5-6v
    Last edited by Double G; 09-22-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Racer
    I have proline trenchers on my maxx and geared it to 26/46. Has great top end but seems to stuggle getting there. Front end hardly ever pulls up at all. Will an esc upgrade make a difference? And should i go with the hobbywing max5 or max6? Or should i just gear it back down a little bit. Really dont wanna lose that top end.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Qualifier
    Mine never did wheelies stock no matter what the gearing. Now that I got the Max6, even geared 21/50, it wheelies and flies. I'll probably gear down to 20/50 now that I have a 20t pinion, since temps were getting a bit hot (it's 100 degrees still in Texas).

Get the Max6 and don't look back!

RC Enthusiast
    That's odd because I couldn't keep the darn wheels down. It was always on its lid.
    Rustler VXL, Slash Ultimate, X Maxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetfeva2 View Post
    That's odd because I couldn't keep the darn wheels down. It was always on its lid.
    That is a true story. Clutch backed off 1/8 turn it was a wheelie machine until the imex tires.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by steveomaxx517 View Post
    Sorry, haven't logged in for several days. Here's the link to the fans I run. The fans are somewhat loud, but move a ton of air. Simply remove the yellow wire because it's not needed and add the proper connector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311311268439...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

RC Racer
    Thanks for posting that fan link. How do they fair against water? And before i did the gearing change on my truck it would stand up all the time. Fliping on its lid from half speed was kind of to easy. Yet i disable slipper clutches on all my rcs. I dont like them.

RC Racer
    I've never ran my X-Maxx in wet conditions, so I cannot comment about the fans in that regard.

RC Racer
    MAX6 is toast. Running on 8S for less than 6 weeks. You can read the rest to help determine the issue but the bottom line is I need suggestions on if this was a freak thing that happened and to just get another MAX6, should I get a MAX5 or something from castle, I'm sticking with the stock motor.

I was on my first set of batteries for the day, has a fresh set of front and rear diffs and bearings. Was running fine, then it just stopped like when the low voltage turns on only I just have steering and no low throttle for 10 seconds, steering works fine. Figured the batteries were dead. Put another set of 4S into it, same brand and size.

Swap out batteries, turn it on and got no beeps (looking for 8). No led on either (red or green) blue power light comes on, steering works. Plug in the LED programmer and it just gives me -- - on the screen. Fan spins but ESC appears dead.

ESC settings as follows, I got the LED program card, my setting were as follows; Item 1, value 2 forward brake/reverse; Item 2 value 6 8S; Item 3 value 3 Auto intermediate low voltage detect; Item 4 value 1 221f ESC temp; Item 5 value 1 disabled motor temp, Item 5 value 1 (I think) CCW; Item 7 value 2 7.4v to BEC servo; Item 8 value 4 max brake force 50%, Item 9 value 1 mac reverse force 25%, Item 10 value 1 punch level 1, Item 11 value 1 0% drag brake.

Setup is; V1 XMAXX, stock servo with metal gears, HD steel axles and out drives, ceramic bearings, MAX 6 ESC, 22/50 gearing, stock motor, some aluminum steering parts, J-7 tires & wheels, 50k front diff fluid, 80k rear diff fluid, 30w front shocks stock springs, 50w rear shocks with HR progressive black springs. Stock Traxxas receiver, Traxxas transmitter 6530. MAX6 is hard-mounted into the chassis. TRX plugs installed. Nothing was hot or even warm and the batteries were showing 15.70v when I plugged them into the charger so they were not discharged.

I'm taking this as a loss, not certain how to return it or claim warranty on it, think I got it through Amazon. Might go with the MAX5 next or something from castle, suggestions are welcome. Any suggestions on what the issue with my current MAX6 is would be helpful. My goal is to get a very fast, durable as possible XMAXX. We are going to make a video that involves some explosions and a MK44 that I think you will all enjoy but I need this thing running at it's peak to do it. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-06-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: banned brand names

RC Racer
    Have you tried changing to auto battery detect or recalibrating? Since you still have steering and able to get into settings with the programmer I wouldn't call it dead yet. Maybe the stock motor is fried? Just tossing ideas out there.

RC Qualifier
    22/50 on 8s?! That seems like insane gearing to me! I was running 21/50 with 6s and overheating in high grass (although also being 100 degrees in Texas).

Not sure if that means the motor or the ESC would be more likely to be fried, but that gearing seems too high to me (but I'm still a newb).

RC poster
    Hey guys. Just finished installing my max6. Total noob here. am I right in thinking the engine temp should work with the max6 installed? I may have messed up the wiring but nothing shows up on the heat dashboard on the transaction link app. I have a grey headed plug that the temp wires are in and I put them in the v/t slot on the receiver. There's a red plug coming off that that was connected to the old ecs that is just loose now. Sorry if this makes no sense I been working on this all day, but I started with out remembering how the wires were because I took the ecs out awhile ago and didn't take a pic beforehand i did.

Thanks guys

RC poster
    Just did some proper testing today, drove it around in the park but yeah no heat sensor on the app. I'm worried I've broken it during install because I had to change my receiver and I took the heatsink off the engine because I thought it was the wire going into the receiver lol, only to discover the wire from the receiver is the antenna (blew receiver so had to change that at same time as max6 install. Where does the heat sensor plug go? I'm not sure if it's maybe suppose to go in the 4pin spot that says traxxas link but thought I best check before I go any blow another receiver.

Cheers

RC Racer
    I finally got a max6 in mine. Still 26/46 gearing and still the proline trenchers that are a bit smaller than stock. And even on 6s that thing is a darn beast! And i still love the trenchers over stock because they just handle soooo much better. And dont baloon like crazy. I was thinkin of getting an 8s xmaxx but im so impressed with mine now i will just keep it 6s. Have the double fans on my motor and neither it or the esc get to hot to touch. Now i just need some better batteries as they get pretty hot. Thinking of getting a pair of smc 3s 9400mah. That should give some pretty killer run times.

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

I come here because I noticed two times issues with my Max6.

Sometimes for an unknown reason, my brake don't work. I have to stop the x-maxx when I can with my feet but it's a pain when this happens.

I already reset evertyhing (tx and esc).

The remote is set to 70/30.

Anyone faced this kind of issue ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zeflex View Post
    Hi,

Sometimes for an unknown reason, my brake don't work. I have to stop the x-maxx when I can with my feet but it's a pain when this happens.

Thanks.
    reset the radio to 50/50, this is a bigie, then reset everything once more. the esc is not sensing enough rev/brake travel.

Hi,

Thanks.
    Use the programming unit you should have with the max6 and adjust the brake force and you could even use drag brake force if needed if it doesn't help setting brake force higher.
    Living life.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    reset the radio to 50/50
    Why ? I really prefer to drive with 70/30.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    Use the programming unit you should have with the max6 and adjust the brake force and you could even use drag brake force if needed if it doesn't help setting brake force higher.
    Nop you don't get it. I mean, the x-maxx is able to break correctly times to times but sometimes, when I brake, it looks like the info received by the radio or esc is "no thottle, but no brake applied".

I hope I am more clear sorry if I didn't explain well first time.

RC poster
    How does the Max6 work with the stock 8S motor? What gearing should I use to avoid heat issues?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Why ? I really prefer to drive with 70/30.
    I'd try it, i don't drive with 70/30. All i can say is program on 50/50, then re program on 70/30. If that doesen't work, you might have a defective esc.

RC Qualifier
    Question, is it possible for the Max6 to make puff lipo batteries if they are at 25c ?

I have 2 packs of batteries, but one of the two 25c puffed today and one cell is dead.

It's possible it can puff from the ESC drawing so much amps but it could have happened from a bad balance charge or bad cell during discharge when using.
    Living life.

RC Racer
    how old was that battery and what brand?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by js1badsti View Post
    how old was that battery and what brand?
    Traxxas 5000 mah 25c, less than 4 months, used for around 20 runs.

Traxxas 5000 mah 25c, less than 4 months, used for around 20 runs.
    yes, ive sent back almost 3-5 traxxas batteries and they were on a vxl6s, so i would deffinately say the HW Max6 would also make them puff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    yes, ive sent back almost 3-5 traxxas batteries and they were on a vxl6s, so i would deffinately say the HW Max6 would also make them puff.
    Thanks for confirmation, I will buy another pack of smc batteries, I am happy with the current one I have.

RC Qualifier
    Does someone knows the LVD voltage when it's set to high ?

One cell of one of my SMC batt. went to 2.993v , others are 3.103v / 3.104v before the ESC stop to run...

Even on LVD detection set to high, I find the voltages pretty low...
    Last edited by zeflex; 01-28-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If your charger is capable, balance the battery before you charge it. I would set lvc to 3.4 if that is the highest it goes. I set mine to 3.6 if possible. Also, confitm that your charger is reading the battery voltage correctly. Get a good volt meter and compare the readings between the charger and the volt meter.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    If your charger is capable, balance the battery before you charge it. I would set lvc to 3.4 if that is the highest it goes. I set mine to 3.6 if possible. Also, confitm that your charger is reading the battery voltage correctly. Get a good volt meter and compare the readings between the charger and the volt meter.
    Yes it's a balanced charger but no lcd screen on it, I use the traxxas charger dual peak 8 amp.

I can't read the mesure on it, but once the battery are charged they are all around 4.2v.

My LVC is set to 3.4v and ESC auto calculate deactivated to manually set it to 3s.

Hey, I figured I'd post this for the people who have a hard time with programing the max 6: This should help anyone now or in the future.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Qualifier
    Yes at least this will avoid some guys to set the wrong cell detection (as I said in the previous post it was set on 3s...)... Should be definitely 6s settings...

RC poster
    When I plug my max 6 in it will only work in the second slot for channel 1 and with being said i go into calibration mode and I canít get it to go to the next step without turning the wheel so I tried another channel and I go into calibration mode it beeps and flashes red like itís supposed to then I hit set to set the neutral position and the blinking and beeping stops I donít get the green light and beep indicating it saved it I have no idea whatís going on any help

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsdothis710 View Post
    When I plug my max 6 in it will only work in the second slot for channel 1 and with being said i go into calibration mode and I can’t get it to go to the next step without turning the wheel so I tried another channel and I go into calibration mode it beeps and flashes red like it’s supposed to then I hit set to set the neutral position and the blinking and beeping stops I don’t get the green light and beep indicating it saved it I have no idea what’s going on any help
    1st & 2nd slot is for steering,you need to plug it in on the 3rd slot which is for throttle
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    1st & 2nd slot is for steering,you need to plug it in on the 3rd slot which is for throttle
    I try that and when I go into calibration I hit set to set neutral and it doesn’t give the one green blink and beep the red flashing and beeping just stops

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast