Thread: Sensored motor

RC poster

Sensored motor

Thinking of upgrading my esc and motor to a sensored setup. I now have the MM2 system. Does Castle Creations have a 1/8 sensored motor to use on the Mamba Monster X esc?
    Is there another make of a 1/8 waterproof esc that uses a sensored motor and a program box to change the settings instead of having to use a computer?
    Last edited by RichardD64; 02-24-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
    I'd rather be RC'ing!

Sensored motors are less waterproof than their sensorless counterparts by nature. They can be waterproofed though.

From what i understand, the mamba monster X is a sensored / sensorless esc that is also waterproof but dont quote me on that.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster

Sensored motor

I might go with a waterproof Hobbywing esc and sensored motor. It doesnt need a computer to change the settings on the esc!
    I'd rather be RC'ing!

Castle does not make a sensored motor nor will you ever see one from them.
    "RED"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD64 View Post
    I might go with a waterproof Hobbywing esc and sensored motor. It doesnt need a computer to change the settings on the esc!
    I too like waterproof things. I'm running a HobbyWing WPSC8 in my Maxx. More than enough power for me and after all Ive put it through, it's still kickin. It only supports sensorless though and I know you specifically wanted a sensored setup.

Also, I dont know of any sensored motor in production that is waterproof out of the box. Although I could be uninformed.
    Last edited by MaXXL; 02-24-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Champion
    http://teamnovak.com/products/index....roducts_id=612

"Highly water & dirt resistant design"
    3905 E-MAXX

Well there ya go. I feel good about Novaks products although ive never tried any. I didnt see anything mentioned about water resistance for the motor though? Just says the esc is sealed for protection from shock and the elements.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

I read your post wrong the first time and responded poorly. My bad.

Let me start over, what exactly are you looking to do? If you're looking for a waterproof ESC to drive through water with a sensored motor, you're going to mess your motor up. Brushless motors are only waterproof in the sense that water will not damage electronics inside. Since there is a sensor board inside that is subjected to that water, it will be damaged. There is no actual waterproof sensored motor.

But, again, I would ask you what your intend is and we can further recommend something that may work instead of steering you in the wrong direction and you throwing money down the drain. (water...drain....see what I did there?)
    "RED"

Yeah thats a good point. Tell us what you want to accomplish first. A race vehicle wont make a good waterproof basher and a waterproof basher isnt going to win any races. So its best, IMO, to choose one and stick with it.

I wanted a basher mainly so my Maxx is all waterproof and sensorless. I still take it to the track regularly and have a blast. I dont expect to keep up with the fast guys but i can still have fun whooping the rest of them.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I run sensored motors all through water. I want to coat the sensor board on my next one with conformal coating, but previously I've just smeared dielectric grease around the sensor port on the esc and the motor. And any small openings on the motor. I had one with a large slot cut in the can, which I covered with gorilla tape. Lol.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

That's one way to do it....yup yup.
    "RED"

RC poster
    I am looking for an all around basher. I like running in water,mud dry dirt tracks for both racing and crawling. I hear that sensored is a more efficient way of getting power to the motor. I will be adding Savox waterproof servos and am looking for an esc with enough volts and amps to run these servos.
    I'd rather be RC'ing!

Well what servos are they exactly? If its 2 high performance Savox servos, your prob gonna need an external BEC as you likely wont find an esc with enough output from the internal BEC.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Actually, sensored motor operation is a tad less efficient than sensorless. That's why Castle has Smart Sense, which uses sensors to get going, then switches to sensorless mode. They tend to be much smoother, though.

For my next sensorless, I want to conformal coating the Hall sensor, and still use grease on the sensor ports. Should really be good to go then!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    Teton, rustler vxl, summit; what's next?