Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC poster
    6s kershaw 8000mah. That truck is incredible now. I wish they came out of the box like this. Have quite a few bucks invested. But worth every penny. The rest of the truck is holding up great. Very impressed with the handling and durability of the truck. This thing gets attention everywhere it goes .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by boomshaka1 View Post
    I would suspect that that gearing configuration will give you heat related issues. With motor and esc. Assuming your maxx is running stock motor and esc.
    I'm going to run that gearing when I install my HWMax5 with stock motor

RC Racer
    Why does Traxxas say 18/50 is not recommended on 3S?

Sauce: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Gearing-Chart!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by magnosis View Post
    Why does Traxxas say 18/50 is not recommended on 3S?

Sauce: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Gearing-Chart!!
    It will overheat the ESC and it will cut power.

RC Racer
    ... which is why lots of people add the CC fans on? Oh no wait, that's on the motor not the ESC.

So what you're saying is that it's too much work for the stock engine which then asks too much power from the ESC, is that it? Just trying to understand and connect the dots because yeah, 18/54 is mentioned all over the place. Just curious.

RC Champion
    I'm running 18/50 gearing haven't had any heating issue besides decrease on runtime,with 5000mah 25c 3s with stock gearing I was able to run it 25-3min but with 18/50 15-20min.

RC poster
    Just got mine today. It's huge! I thought my Summit was a big boy. Anyway, I already have an 18t pinion, and 50t spur ready for upgrade. I will run the 18/54 first, and monitor temps before trying the 18/50 setup. In driving the truck for the first time today, I have a feeling alot of heat issues can come from braking this monster. I haven't taken any temps yet, but my motor was warmer to the touch on 4S and heavy braking, than 6S and coasting more.

I will be keeping tracking of speeds for all my different gearing setups, but for anyone interested:

15/54 Gearing (Stock) on pavement
    4S - 20.5 mph
    6S - 30.5 mph

I also have the Castle Dual Fan Cooler ready to go, for the gearing changes.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PC6uru View Post
    Just got mine today. It's huge! I thought my Summit was a big boy. Anyway, I already have an 18t pinion, and 50t spur ready for upgrade. I will run the 18/54 first, and monitor temps before trying the 18/50 setup. In driving the truck for the first time today, I have a feeling alot of heat issues can come from braking this monster. I haven't taken any temps yet, but my motor was warmer to the touch on 4S and heavy braking, than 6S and coasting more.

I will be keeping tracking of speeds for all my different gearing setups, but for anyone interested:

15/54 Gearing (Stock) on pavement
    4S - 20.5 mph
    6S - 30.5 mph

I also have the Castle Dual Fan Cooler ready to go, for the gearing changes.
    I was hitting 42.5mph on 18/50 gearing on 6s. And I'm going to try 23/50 gearing before I install my Max5 esc.

RC poster
    So, I installed my blower, secured zip tie around motor to increase contact on motor, and tried 18/54 and 18/50 gearing. Below you will find speed results. I don't know what some people do to get such high temps from the motor or ESC, but before the blower, running 18/54 with speed runs and hard braking, the motor was hitting 145 on the heatsink. ESC was around 80-90. With the blower, the heatsink felt barely warm to the touch! (i didn't have my temp gun), ESC still not above 90. Ambient temp today was around 65 and sunny.

With 18/50 gearing and 6S, I can't keep the thing in a straight line on the pavement, and expect some time to come to a stop, yeesh. (I have TSM turned off for now) I've gotten it to endo a few times, without flipping.

15/54 Gearing (SLOW)
    4S 20.5 mph
    6S 30.5 mph
    18/54 Gearing (Fun, best all around)
    4S 23.5 mph
    6S 38.5 mph
    18/50 Gearing (A bit nuts)
    4S
    6S - 43 mph

RC Racer
    I'm still on 2S and after switching from 15/54 to 18/54 I can barely tell the difference. Then again, my yard is pretty small and I can only hit top speed for about 2 seconds before I need to slow down and turn around :/ In terms of initial punch, going from 0 to full speed, to me it's about the same.

RC Enthusiast
    So, I installed my 18T pinion and kept my 54T spur. I will say that it is a BIG difference without being insane. For a big truck she can run. It's right at the edge of being too unstable on the road with stock suspension settings though for me. Now, it won't catch my Slash but we are talking two different animals. Can the Maxx go much faster, adsolutely BUT for how I'm driving it she is perfect.

Ambient temp was 92 and I did like 10 back to back speed runs with 5000mah 3s batteries.The highest temp I saw on the motor was 170 with my CC fan installed. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I typically don't drive it that hard anyway. Still had plenty of torque to climb the most intimidating inclines. Very happy with 18/54. I would say that it does make a good all- around gearing. Oh BTW, you can definitely tell the shorter run time on your batteries.
    Rustler VXL, Slash Ultimate, X Maxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetfeva2 View Post
    So, I installed my 18T pinion and kept my 54T spur. I will say that it is a BIG difference without being insane. For a big truck she can run. It's right at the edge of being too unstable on the road with stock suspension settings though for me. Now, it won't catch my Slash but we are talking two different animals. Can the Maxx go much faster, adsolutely BUT for how I'm driving it she is perfect.

Ambient temp was 92 and I did like 10 back to back speed runs with 5000mah 3s batteries.The highest temp I saw on the motor was 170 with my CC fan installed. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I typically don't drive it that hard anyway. Still had plenty of torque to climb the most intimidating inclines. Very happy with 18/54. I would say that it does make a good all- around gearing. Oh BTW, you can definitely tell the shorter run time on your batteries.
    Nice,wait ontill you see it on 8s my god i would say 50mph is too much for this truck,that's the kinda speed im getting very hard to control,self righting still works btw

RC Qualifier
    Slightly cooler ambient temps here in the UK, But with a Max 6 and Castle blower, I run 20/50 as everyday gearing. This is how the truck should've came out the box!

I hit a GPS'd 44mph on grass

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Slightly cooler ambient temps here in the UK, But with a Max 6 and Castle blower, I run 20/50 as everyday gearing. This is how the truck should've came out the box!

I hit a GPS'd 44mph on grass
    With stock suspension height or lowered? I think my next purchase is going to be the Max 6.

RC Qualifier
    With stock suspension height or lowered? I think my next purchase is going to be the Max 6.
    Just normal. I've done nothing to truck other than gearing, a Castle 2028 blower and a max 6.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Just normal. I've done nothing to truck other than gearing, a Castle 2028 blower and a max 6.
    Hmmmmm, 20/50 huh? I might just have to try it (after I get my Max 6).

RC Qualifier
    16/54 got boring,so now that I got 50 tooth spur,i may as well give it some run testing. Have run 17/54 with punch 5 but puffed 5000 mahs an hurt 8200spc with punch 5 on max 6. Running punch 2 right now.

RC Qualifier
    Switched to 16/50 .. ran 60% asfault time an grass hills the rest. Coolest run yet,150 on motor,119esc...25 min run,8200mah

RC Racer
    I've been running 23/46, Max5, stock motor, 2028 fan. Running on pavement and yard 50/50. 2 3S 8200 50c spc batts. Temps have been good. 30+ run time.

All Kershaw gears. With this setup I can't keep the front down. Definitely need better tires. Never hit thermal.
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

RC Qualifier
    For sure on the tires,got near 100 runs on one set,just replied some beads. Start gearing up an tires,an rims feel it 1st. Tires are for stock gearing for sure.

RC Enthusiast
    What gearing is best for some solid punch and speed but still able to keep the front end from always being in the air.

Speed is great but can't be fun if you can't keep it down to enjoy that additional speed it kinda loses the fun of this truck!

RC Racer
    Update

Changed to 21/50 from 23/46. First pull of the trigger (punch 2) and pop goes my rear diff gears. Never had any problems with heat or breaking drivetrain until now. Going back to 23/46. Yeah, top speed was useless with stock tires and pointless for yard bashing but I never had problems. Maybe i should have loosened my slipper, but it sounded like there was the right amount of slip.
    Stock motor/max5
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRivers View Post
    What gearing is best for some solid punch and speed but still able to keep the front end from always being in the air.

Speed is great but can't be fun if you can't keep it down to enjoy that additional speed it kinda loses the fun of this truck!
    I could not have said it better myself. Again, I really like the 18/54. Faster and controllable, at least at my skill level.

RC Enthusiast
    I could not have said it better myself. Again, I really like the 18/54. Faster and controllable, at least at my skill level.
    I've got an 18T, 20T and 22T coming in. Should arrive end of next week. I already have 24T on hand. I should have ordered lower tooth ones to start.

I have 46T and 50T spurs on hand as well to test various combos but after watching several vids it seems no one can keep the front end down on the higher combos.

I'll wait for 18T to arrive and test 18/54 and 18/50 to see how things respond.

I should also order a GPS unit or figure out all the parts numbers for telemetry setup so I can test speeds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12