Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California

Fourdubs 2wd VXL Evolving mods thread. Current Mods & Past

(be whatever I'm working on at the time, im trying to not make too many threads.)

Drag Slash! 2-27-2016!

Ordered:
    Traxxas Funny car wheels, front and rear
    Traxxas Bandit VXL Suspension set (axles, front and rear arms, the casters and carriers, steering/camber linkages.)
    STRC 14mm Hex adapters

(wheelie bar)
    Traxxas blue wheelie bar wheels/tires/ axles.
    GPM 1/5th scale blue alloy front piggyback shocks

------
    Planned:

Parma 66 Body

With this wheelie bar, blue traxxas wheelie bar wheels and instead of the stock slash shocks, have the gpm 1/5th scale blue shocks.

Trucks Setup:
    Traxxas 2wd VXL Slash
    Traxxas Ultra Shocks F&R
    Traxxas LCG
    Traxxas Velineon ESC Fan
    Integy Motor Heatsink & Fan
    Geniune JPV2015 products - vxl dual fan wire harness
    RPM Caster Blocks
    Proline Trenchers
    Panther Inc Sand Paddles
    Traxxas Rustler Front Bumper

I have 2 other slashes now, my pops 2wd and my 4wd, so temporarily turning this one into a drag slash. If I goto convert back I may do the dually in the back with 2 tires on eachside instead of switching a arms.

The tires got here first, so they are on, I don't have the front 4 bearings or the 14mm hexs on the rear yet. this is just mocked up.

What do you guys think so far?

edit:

will be messing with new mounting locations for the slash sct body until the parma one gets ordered. in the meanwhile, the slash body will look nice once those wheels are tucked.

4dub
    Last edited by fourdub; 02-27-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added pic

Looks nice! That Parma body will look amazing with that set up!
    Too much power is just enough

thanks traxxasfan21! this is phase 1, I will take pictures as the other parts go on, and hopefully follow up with some videos.

check this out, like one of thoe artist renderings of a sct truck.

I put the body on backwards, and it looks awesome!!!, I may run it backwards for a while.... I don't know why it looks cool, I like it lol (ediy: the concept of the backwards truck/car body, running a backwards fwd car. I wont be dragging in reverse lol)

Kind of wish I could find a bigger tunner car body like a fwd civic body or similar. 330mm wheelbase is hard to match lol

lol

Look up gt8 bodies and you will find a whole lot of bodies that should fit the wheelbase (maybe not the width)

gonna stick with the parma 66, going to try and do this paint job on it:

from an old MMORPG called Motor City Online. was an amazing game.

Should look good! post pics once you get the body and paint it!

I like the wheelie bar, but why are there no retainers on the bottoms of the shocks? Seems like you'd want to preload those as much as you can.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

thanks gs,

ahh didn't notice I didn't put them back on for the pic, it did have them when I was out using them LOL I know cuz I lost the one on the shock that broke lol

good eye greatscott. new shocks are these,

hope they are not too big, I will prolly have to move the mounting point higher. I am not trimming the top/back of the skidplate, as I plan to add a camera to the top of the wheelie bar hehe (let the truck do a wheelie on camera without it effecting the camera angle. hopefully)
    Last edited by fourdub; 02-28-2016 at 02:28 AM.

thinking about maybe replacing the skidplate/rearbumpersupport with these two plates, I'm not sure what they are (prolly an exceed rc part) or just reinforce the existing structure with the silver plates.

where the black tape is, is where I would most likely cut the silver plates. the wheelie bar would be even lower so the skidplate will be higher, that might make the new longer shocks not work. heh

replaced the gears in my servo again(couple broken teeth) have had to replace gears after almost every battery.... last time I went to hobby people I bought 4 kits at once.

I think the roll down the mountain a few weeks ago did more damage to my servo than just strip some gears, so today I went out and just bought a whole new Traxxas 2075, will drop that in later tonight, and test it tomarrow.

here is a video of what the servo is doing.

today when it broke I was descending a hill, and suddenly could turn, but the brake/reverse worked, so I got it to the bottom and picked it up, and was like "really, another set of servo gears?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCpDCpdidY

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

You do know that you can mod the 2075 servo with savox metal gears right?

yeah, but when I do that, I wanted it to be a fresh servo not a questionable one lol. got the new servo in, works great.

(oh like 2 months when I first bought my lcg chassis I stepped on it and broke one of the black steering linkage posts/holders. its just floating in there.... that might also have something to do with it... but truck has been a beast ever since I got it, not much has changed lol)
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Fourdubs 2wd VXL Evolving mods thread. Current Mods & Past

That happened with my slash 4x4 and you really can't tell it's broken because it makes barely any difference
    Last edited by traxxasfan21; 02-29-2016 at 12:57 AM.

cool, that's what I figured when I bolted it together and it was firm lol.

glad I'm not the only one who has this problem lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

I bought my slash used so it came like that and I had no idea that it was broken

lol that's awesome I let my friend borrow the slash 4x4 I just picked up. hes already eyeballing a stampede 4x4 vxl says this lil titan powered 4x4 isn't enough for him.

when I get it back I will for sure have to check to see the condition of those posts lol. might mean conversion to lcg. also thought about tearing out the front diff, and turning that into my 2wd dragster lol

mocked my 2wd as a 4wd with 4x funnycar tires... smells like broken servos

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

score!!

brand new 66 parma body for 12$ (I checked parma website to make sure it wasent a 1/16th scale body lol

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

sweetness.... day is getting better and better. My bandit arms, and vxl suspension kit arrived. I'm seeing a lack of linkages tho.... I may end up having to buy them, as I don't think I can make the stock slash linkages that short. we shall see. will start the conversion tonight.

Just waiting on the 14mm hexs, the gpm shocks, the wheelie bar wheels, and the new body. Its all coming together. got the parts delivered to work and spread them on my desk.

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

got stuck at toe linkage.

didn't make it out to the LHS before they closed, will have to hit them at lunchtime tomorrow

no big loss, the 14mm hex have not arrived yet.

before picture

a-arms comparison slash vs bandit

axle comparison slash vs bandit

half and half?

just need the toe link and than can reassemble the shock tower and shocks

lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

mocked up the tires and body. nice fit now for the slicks. after looking around on forums, I seen I bought the WRONG bandit rear arms. I bought the rear LONG a-arms. they have even shorter ones.... So I'm just going to try these for now.

picked up the camber links, both standard and vxl versions.

Will install them tonight, and post more pictures.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

both of these items are the wrong one for this application, way too long, by about 20mm. *sigh*

makes the axle stubs point down alot, even at their shortest setting. so I need something shorter.

well when I find something that actually works, i'll post a part number.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

The yellow tub lid, that I use as a work mat, I tripped in my house, and my arm caught the edge of it, and it catapulted my slash into the wall, and spent all my parts flying everywhere.

I haven't bothered to try and pick up the pieces yet, haven't even check for damages, I'm that depressed by it.

The rest of my items came in the mail today. hpi shocks, 14mm adapters, wheelie bar wheels, and my 66 parma muscle body.

So now... I need rear camber links to complete the build, depending on if nothing got broken in last nights accident.

not really in any mood, but maybe i'll tinker with it when I get home.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

That sucks... If you have a reasonably strong magnet you can pass it over the floor and it should pick up the screws on the floor

I just picked up some 100lb magnets for magnet fishing.... you lookin at my amazon cart? lol

thanks for that tip
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

The 3643 you have listed are 49mm, would the Bandit rear (2443) 36mm work?
    Or get some 8-32 threaded rod stock and make your own.
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 03-02-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

yeah, jerry - 36mm is what I asked, the guy at LHS asked what vehicle, I said bandit he sold me those. kinda crappy he didn't look at size and neither did I lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

ok, so I ghetto rigged the drag slash. used the non adjustable camber arms, in a higher hole on the shock tower, than ziptied them up to eliminate any travel. the rear suspension is semi locked in place, they have 1/8th inch movement. you can kinda see it in the picture of the rear.

Mocked up the body, found my bodymount spots, than cut the body. think it turned out ok. I got a date to paint it on sunday.

heres some pictures.

strc 14mm hex adapters (the funny car wheels are loose on it, like it should be a 13mm hex lol)

The shocks I ordered plus the wheelie bar wheels. lol @ size of the shocks. battery shown for scale

parma 66 muscle baja body

front wheels bearly hanging on by a few threads. had to use body washer to make the wheel sit flat on the hex nut. couldn't figure out how to tighten the wheelnut down on a front spindle without a hexnut, (it just spins and no way to tighten it to the front carrier.)

body cut and mocked. no body mount holes yet.

the tires are only 1-3mm from touching the sides of the body. should be just enough ground clearance for the wheelie bar.

I have planned to do 4 body mount holes in both the front and back. regular driving mode(SCT tires f&R), can be converted to dragslash by removing the 4 clips, moving the body slightly forward, and removing the bodymount extensions.

now to get the correct links.... but I think its good enough to go give its a test run with no body or the sct body..... if I do test it, promise to record it.... in case of fire

I got a refund for the shocks... just gonna throw a set of ultra shocks on the wheelie bar for now, and see if I cant mount up the wheels to the wheeliebar.

thanks for looking folks!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Can't wait till Sunday to see how that body turns out! Nice work tho

RC Qualifier
    Ya I'm excited to see the body when you are done painting it. I haven't seen a drag slash before so I will be following this thread to see how this turns out!
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

small update, I got the dragslash in my car, I plan to test it after work. only battery I have atm in a half charged 3s pack. so i'll try and get some video of the runs. left the bodies at home, so this will be a test of the suspension and stuff.

I'm assuming everything will work. I was worried about the tires tipping over (tilting towards the tranny, but the zipties, keep the rear tires flat.

This is defiantly not a jumper. I can see these non adjustable camber links breaking very easy.

I got the window masks and headlight taillight masks on. looking sharp, looking forward to sunday.

I got a friend who does tattoo design, and he said he wanted to do a little work to my truck too, so I may deviate from the rust stang paint job a little bit. maybe.... really depends on what he has planned.

well lunch break has come and gone, I went and tested the drivetrain... it is fishy and flimsy lol. the wheels want to tip over badly, you can see how badly they tilt when you hit the throttle and the rocks n junk on the street also cause the tires to come out of alignment.

enjoy the video.... the last bit of me burning up the gears, someone asked if it would burn out... answer is yes... of course when I tried to film it, it made a crazy gears burning noise lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1E9SuJgpSk

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

You sir need to set your gear mesh

you know it was fine the other day, i checked it right now, its only half way on the spur. good looking out traxxasfan21. the distance was good, just not aligned good. fixed now.

so i went to a different LHS and ask them for the same exact thing i ask the other hobby shop for.... and they gave me...

*drumroll*

36mm rear camber links for traxxas bandit.... traxxas part # 2443

lol

so ima rip apart the drag slash and install those new links, and hopefully it returns the suspension to the rear lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

links installed, full range of motion/travel is reestablished. will now have to re-test it... lol

also moved the pinion gear back out ont he shaft.

thanks, and more updates later!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Tested the rear, and it looks good. got to find a flatter surface to run on. the streets are pretty poor quality with debris. Rear end worked good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZOFckHVGmA

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Hey guys, so I was invited to a offroad outing, so I converted the dragslash to a duallyslash for the day. using just zip ties to hold em together, bringing the wire cutters with me incase I need to cut the zipties.

regular tire on the front with slick in the back

regular tire on the front with dually in the back

top down no body comparison

mustang body mock up with duallys

top down mustang body comparison

sct body front view, rdy to go

not too shabby, any questions comments concerns, please post!

4dub
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

12 seconds... is all the duallys on zipties lasted. bent out of shape real fast, and I cut them off to prevent axle damage. lol.

edit: offroaded ok with short rear a-arms, looked a little funny, but performed just fine.
    Last edited by fourdub; 03-05-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

so... after arriving at my friends house we proceed to drink... a lot... than painted my rc car.... it looks like a 6 year old painted my truck... but... I like it... I still haven't settled on a mounting spots, even tho I know it was supposed to be already done at this point.

I used a mixture of white plastidip, black plastidip, red rustolum rubber pasti, and grey rustolum rubber plasti... in the first picutres that red line is horrendous... used a razor and cut it out and removed it to paint it solid "rust" color...

painted dual red stripes

painted dual red stripes

new center stripe in rust on the sct tires

other angle

reconverted back to drag slash

front

rear

this was a lot of fun to build and paint.. I enjoyed it. I will mount the body and go take it for a run with this body on.

thanks for looking!!! updates coming
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

ok so got the body mounted. pretty good clearance, kinda proud of my custom adjustable body mount I created.

used grey foam over the shock tower to kinda support the front of the bumper so it dosent scrap on the body. its on there very solid.

rear mount at lowest spot. front just higher than the front body mount brace,

custom body mount using, a front body mount a turnbuckle and a spare hole in the chassis.

grey foam to keep body from rubbing and quiet also night stop some air from getting into body.

grey foam notched so it doesn't bend body

body mounted

body mounted

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

build up thread in a 3minute slideshow. Its pouring buckets here in so cali, but I still plan on running the drag slash after work. drag race in the rain video? soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDewgfWYnmc

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast