RC Enthusiast

Castle sidewinder suggestions

Hi,

I am planning on getting a Castle Creations Sidewinder for my Traxxas Slash, but I don't know which version will be the best. I know that the lower the kv, the more torque, but i want speed and power so i can go off-road and on-road.

Also, I have seen threads where people say that the Sidewinder is like a brushless version of the Titan 550 12t, as in it has the same power. How much more power does it have? I want a top speed of around 40-50 with a 2s lipo if possible, and enough torque for 1/8 wheels without a heat-sink (or whatever its called).

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Welcome to the site. I will say that I believe the Castle setup to be better than the brushed 12t... Like not even comparable..... The people that said that it was the same are definitely not correct.

As far as speed, there are many factors.... higher KV motors run higher RPMs, but they also heat up more.... And heat is what will kill the electronics..... You have to get a temperature gun, and gear as agressively as possible, while still keeping the motor/esc cool. Also you need to make sure your batteries can handle whatever motor/esc you run.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ncslash View Post
    Hi,

I am planning on getting a Castle Creations Sidewinder for my Traxxas Slash, but I don't know which version will be the best. I know that the lower the kv, the more torque, but i want speed and power so i can go off-road and on-road.

Also, I have seen threads where people say that the Sidewinder is like a brushless version of the Titan 550 12t, as in it has the same power. How much more power does it have? I want a top speed of around 40-50 with a 2s lipo if possible, and enough torque for 1/8 wheels without a heat-sink (or whatever its called).

Thanks
    Torque is king.

You gear up for speed. I'm not a top speed guy, but if I had to guess you want 3800kv or less. Wait for some of the speed demons to chime in with what they like. Just remember, (voltage) x (kv) = RPMs.

Anyone who thinks a Sidewinder is anything like a Titan 12t needs their head examined, twice. It's not even in the same ballpark, it's in another league.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Get the 3800kv, it is more torquey than the 4600, especially with your 1/8 scale tires. Lower kv is usually better because they have more torque, and in my opinion, allow for a lot more options. They wont heat up as fast, are bigger in size (usually), stay cooler, allow for more gearing, and have thicker more durable guage cables. The sct combo luckily for you, comes with a fan for free for the motor so your temps should actually be good.

RC Enthusiast
    Will I be able to connect the esc and motor straight into the car just like the Titan 12t or will I have to get adapters?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You are going to need to solder your own battery connectors on

RC Enthusiast
    will the 3800 be too much torque? i see that people are complaining that there 2wd slashes do backflips when they push the throttle to 75% on youtube. They said they were using 2s lips for the most part.

No. You can adjust the punch and many other parts of the Castle system and your finger control works wonders. I used to have a hard time getting a wheelie but found after I stiffened up the springs - which raised the height of the truck some - wheelies are on demand. I'll soften the suspension a bit and it should tame it down.
    The Super Derecho

If you want to kill wheelies just use punch control (a really good castle feature) or even lower your ride height. There really isn't such thing as too much torque especially in this case. It is a great motor, better quality imo simply because steve neu was the original designer, and I know he makes great stuff The esc and motor both come with 4mm bullets pre soldered and heat shrinked, but the battery connector is your choice

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a Castle Sidewinder SCT Combo system that will come with pre-soldered components so I can plug it straight into my Slash 2wd? If so can I have a link?

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    you will have to solder on a traxxas connector or whatever connector you use (the hobby shop that sells you the esc/motor combo will do this mod for you, normally under 10$ (includes price of 2 high grade connectors))

It should be plug and play after that. You MAY have to servo tape or doublesided tape the speed control down, if it dosent come with tie downs. (two screw down wire adaptors (eyelets) and a short piece of wire is what I use.)

(I was one of the people who upgraded from a titan 12t to a sidewinder 3/4600kv combo, and compared it to the titan. I got the sidewinder 3 over the sv3 sct speed control, cuz the sidewinder3 can take 3s, and the sct combo is 2s max.

Maybe I did something wrong, but its geared 16/86 48p, completely stock except the speed control and motor and proline trenchers on the rear, besides the noise it makes, its not much different than a titan12t and a lot slower than my vxl.)

That being said, I recommend the VXL brushless system. (I own the sct/3800 combo in the picture.... but I got it used and it cogs like crazy, so I haven't used it at all, so I cant tell you my opinion of it)
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

A castle system should never be any slower than a vxl. When it comes to brushless motors, theyre all very close. The only thing that sets then apart is quality, efficiency, and price. 80% of modern brushless motor systems are around 85% efficient or more, so saying a one motor is way slower than another means there is an issue. My 3800kv has a dangerous amount of power on 3s, so something may be wrong. A common problem I see with some peoples castle systems, is that the polarity is switched so that the default 50% reverse is really theyre throttle.

RC poster
    Your would have to run the numbers, but 16/86 gearing sounds very low. If your trenchers are sct size, they should be close to stock diameter. Stock vxl gearing is 23/86, which is much faster than 16/86 with a 3800kv motor. I run my slash on 3s on 23/86 and have no problems with temps. I would check your temps, and if they are low, like below 150 on motor, gear up.

RC Enthusiast
    I would have to get the 3800kv sv3 sidewinder sv3 1410 for max power, right? I want top speed, but also to be able to control it (i can get the castle link if needed). I will also want it to do mild off-roading and may be adding 1/8 tires soon. I use 2s 40c 5000mah lipos. this will be for a slash 2wd. and do i have to get the 3.2 mm motor shaft version? Will the motor fit straight into the slash with the stock enclosure that houses my current Titan 12t?
    Last edited by ncslash; 02-28-2016 at 07:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    I've run the castle sct combo in my slash.... Fits right in fine, easy to install. Stays super cool even after 14mins of hard running.... meaning I could gear for more speed without problem. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post
    You MAY have to servo tape or doublesided tape the speed control down, if it dosent come with tie downs. (two screw down wire adaptors (eyelets) and a short piece of wire is what I use.)
    I bought the RPM ESC Cage for mine.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry guys, I appreciate all the helpful and informative answers, but one more question that has nothing to do with the castle system. Where can I get the tracts connectors soldered on? I have a hobby town nearby but they are closed right now, I can go tomorrow but has anyone else been to hobbytown to get something maintained? I'm not sure if they do stuff like this even though its simple. I would rather spend some more money than buy a soldering machine myself.

Thx

Most hobby shops can solder for you, they also usually have traxxas male connectors if they carry traxxas parts. They are basically as common as deans. 3.2mm shaft is strong enough, and can be adapted to 5mm for special gearing, so imo it is more versatile and only should be not used in 1/8 scale systems where durability is more important

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    ncslash,

if you have a electrician shop, or appliance shop (check internet or yellow pages) call em and ask how much a single 2 point solder would cost if you brought it to them (you obviously have to have the connectors) shouldn't be more than 5-10$ for them to solder it for you...

Or you could check ebay I haven't seen it for a while but sometimes I see brand new castle systems for sale with a traxxas or dean conector on it. it is ebay tho so you cant be too sure.

if you goto a harbor freight or cheap hardware/tool shop you can get a solder gun + solder for around 10$ - lots of youtube videos on how to solder the connectors for the speed controls.

(I did your route and took mine to the hobbyshop and paid them to do it.)
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Enthusiast
    cool thx, ill go tomorrow. lionkev, you said get 5 mm for durability? will it make a huge difference?

RC Qualifier
    Lots of good info as always guys, thanks. I'm in the same boat looking for a castle system too, either a sct 3800 or the sidewinder 4600 for one of our trucks. Still torn between the two somewhat. Kind of looking more at the sct series with a 2s. The sidewinder 4600 would be great for race nights though.

RC Qualifier
    Knew I forgot something. Seen a few mentioned the rpm esc cage. Any one have any comments about the rpm esc cage, good or bad? Looks to be a good design and like the fact it also has a place for the off/on switch which is a nice feature.

RC Qualifier xXxXxverifiedxXxXx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    Knew I forgot something. Seen a few mentioned the rpm esc cage. Any one have any comments about the rpm esc cage, good or bad? Looks to be a good design and like the fact it also has a place for the off/on switch which is a nice feature.
    It's a pretty good design, I definately prefer it over double sided tape. Now if only they made one for the MMP...
    Just 1 mph more!

RC Competitor
    Upgraded my son's rustler from the XL-5 to the castle 3800 sidewinder setup. Wow what a difference! Gearing is key though as it was kind of disappointing at first as he was still running the stock low speed gearing 16/90 I believe and the new motor was running hot. He regeared it using the XL-5s optional 28/86 gearing and now it absolutely flies and the motor runs cool. We tried a couple more ratios and settled on 28/83. It has great mid range punch and isn't quite so prone to wheelie and still has great acceleration. Another great upgrade is switching out the wheel bushings to bearings. It increases speed,battery run time and makes the vehicle more stable as the wheels have less slop in them.
    Last edited by oldyeller; 02-29-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    4x4 Slash
    Slash carpet racer
    Slash mudboss

Quote Originally Posted by ncslash View Post
    cool thx, ill go tomorrow. lionkev, you said get 5 mm for durability? will it make a huge difference?
    Barely any, but for 1/8 scale systems sometimes the shafts do snap, or bend. Once the shaft is bent, your motor rotor is basically destroyed because it can't ever be as straight as it was once manufactured, causing your motor to work absolutely AWFUL.

RC Champion
    I figured I would chime in here eventually after reading all the posts.. A few things to know. A Titan 12 is ok when you are just starting out, but that quickly gets old if you want more speed and especially more torque. I have 2 current Slash setups.. one has a 3800 4pole SV3 running on 2 and 3S lipo.. The other is a 5700 4pole SV3... They are both geared for max efficiency, not necessarily speed or torque. You are not going to see 40-50 mph on a 2s pack unless you want to gear for 1 run and then I doubt it. On 2S, no problems... I almost forgot, I only run 1/8th buggy tires either street slicks or pins for off road. If you ask me I will tell you the 3800 is a better overall motor because it allows much more gear options than the 4600 or 5700 motors while running very cool. My 5700 has much tighter margin for gears, but mine never gets hot anyway. I do however run fans on my esc's.. Just an old habit that I never broke I guess. I was just looking at one of the other posts and yes, 5mm is more durable, but I've never had a motor bending issue. Your biggest issue will be making sure you can handle the speed and the torque of the system. It can and will get away from you quite easily. Mine are both lowered quite a bit and that really helps, but they will still wheelie if you punch them. I don't remember where my punch control is set, probably factory but I'm just careful on the throttle.. Sometimes.....Almost forgot... Top end running the same batteries.. On 2s they are both close.. around 40ish... On 3S we are seeing 50's in that area... Remember, these are not Rustlers and are quite a bit heavier and the body shell might as well be a wind sock... LOL
    Last edited by cenracer1; 03-01-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

I race 2 Slashes, my main racer Slash was built just to race, I had already put in the Castle SCT combo 3800 back at Christmas so that was the motor/esc i was stuck with. My other Slash is a Frankenstein (was a Rusty put on a LCG Slash chassis with all stock slash arms and mostly ALL slash parts, yes even shocks. I had more than enough parts around to build a second slash for the track for my boys.

The Castle SCT 3800 is an awesome combo for all around driving bashing and even speed in my opinion, but I quickly found out that the 4 pole Castle motor was way over powered and way over torqued for racing where I race. That being said, this is where the Castle link comes into play. I have the power set back to 65 percent, no reverse, and 30 percent braking. AND I STILL HAVE TOO MUCH POWER lol never thought I would say that.

As for the Frankenstein Slash, it has the VLX 2 pole setup from the rustler, like I said, all left over parts, just to have a nother truck in the SCT race. But check this out, last week I go to practice for the trophy race, and while having some fun I put my racing proline prime slicks, all sauced up on this beast and durn if i didnt turn a crazy fast time, and I cleared a table top to other jump (which is like 20+ feet) I have only ever seen the 4wd buggies do this jump. I was rather stoked to see just how well this throw together handled and holy cow was it fast unrestricted.

Both trucks are set up on 23/86 gears.

Castle Sidewinder SCT = awesome for the money. I dont regret buying it at all.

And so you know I will keep the Castle ESC in for now but drop down to a 2 pole motor with less torque and higher rpm's
    Drive It Like You Stole It

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    I would put the sv3 3800kv motor in it because you will be able to gear it higher and the temps will be lower. As many people said the titan and the sv3 are much different who ever said that has never seen a sv3 and has probably no idea what it is.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

RC Enthusiast
    @jcpede,
    yeah i was really confused and worried that I was getting the wrong idea about the castle motor when i read their comments, lol

RC poster
    so i have to solder it no matter what? There arent any connectors available for sale?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    You are going to need to solder your own battery connectors on
    so i have to solder it no matter what? There arent any connectors available for sale?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreMembrido View Post
    Unfortunately, yes! When you start messing around with aftermarket ESC's most of them do not come pre-wired with battery connector. The process is not hard and you can find an iron pretty cheap. Just make sure you use something around 60watts so it heats fast. If you try using something like a 30watt by the time the connectors get up to temp it starts melting the surrounding plastic. Also some suggest soldering with connectors plugged together to limit deformation.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreMembrido View Post
    AndreMembrido, welcome to the forum and the hobby. There are a great many tools necessary to repair and modify hobby grade RC trucks. A soldering iron is one of them. If you have a local hobby shop, perhaps someone there can do the soldering for you.
    Obstacle Magnet