Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I remember back in the day T A used a spring in their dogbones. It was put in the tranny's outdrives and pushed the dogbone toward the hub's. We used to use the spring's out of a pen. Maybe try two short springs, one in each cup.

T L uses a plastic cap on their end's of the center CVD's to keep dirt out, might be able to come up with something close for the bigbone.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    smogman, the bones actually use 2 o rings in each cup just for this... the problem he is running into, well not problem really, is just metal on metal contact, and there really is no way to crush that.... he could heat a piece of heatshring or stretch fuel tubing over the joint, if there is room.... but it is still a metal pin, in a slot

I just thought it might muffle it a bit. Kind of knock the tinny sound out of it a bit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    once it is actually moving, I don't even notice it anymore... it is jsut at low speeds you hear it clanking around a little bit

the rear you might be able to toss a boot on, but it is super tight in the front already, that's why I had to notch out my chassis

So I took the truck out again and geared 19/52 this thing is fast and it seem's more controllable with the new body. I had to trim it a bit more to line up the wheels with the body.

So far I am liking the new body and I still haven't rolled it yet.

Here is a pic all trimmed. I used a dremel then I used emory cloth wrapped around an old on road wheel to sand the wheelwells to perfection.

Looks very nice!
    "Gone racing"

Well, just to keep this going.....I had my first blow over yesterday, a nasty one at that. It floated up and did two barrel rolls in the air then it did a cartwheel or two. I don't know how but I didn't scratch the body.

I think I need to upgrade the axles now as I broke the rears three times in one battery pack. That is with a loose slipper that is slipping for about ten feet or more. I can't run it any looser. Maybe the crash had to do with one of them???

Oh well that is what you get when you upgrade!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    mip xduty... yes they are heavier, but they are beefy, and will keep the weight down low

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    mip xduty... yes they are heavier, but they are beefy, and will keep the weight down low
    No. Too heavy for me. Going to do the Tekno I think. But when funds are not available I have to stick to what I have for now. I think I have enough for about two more batteries worth of axles. Or I might have to lighten the lead finger a bit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    It's because of RPM a-arms is why those bent. Plus you had too much droop too if I remember right.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh that's not my car. Just one of the reasons in my hours of research why I decided against Teknos.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

So finally Jimbo got me off my rear to go to Norcal Hobbies in San Jose yesterday and we had a blast. We ran 4 packs and I broke in the new body pretty good. Here's a pic of my truck in the pit's

Finally after three packs I was getting into the rhythm of the track,and this is how the truck came off the track after the fourth. It was really clean for 12 min. of running.

The track was a little muddy but if you could keep the tires pointed down you didn't get that dirty. But...

You did get roost on the inside..They had just changed the track layout. It pretty technical and was a challange.
    All and all was a great time. Except the traffic on the way home was terrible, the MLS allstar game must of just finished as we left. Took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to go 30 miles.
    Last edited by thesmogman; 07-29-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: to get pic's to work

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    must have been that last 10 miles, I did my 20 in 40 minutes

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post

If you don't mind me asking.....how did you get those tires on the stock rims? I was told (and recently saw) that those tire foams (flat) will not work creating soft outer edge on the tire because of the taper on the stock rim. Did you use extra foam? or do you have soft outer edges?

I cut the foam from the old tires and glued them to the tapered part of the rim then I used the foam that came with them.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, do you notice any softness in that area. The only reason I ask is because I know the stock foam is a lot softer then the jconcepts tires.

I didn't cut the piece flat. I left a bit more of the stock foam so as to take up the space to make it more firm being it is the outer edge. I was glad I test fit it before gluing. Here is a drawing.

Nice, I had no idea Traxxas wheels had a different shape. I was checking out my friend's Slash at NCH Thursday and couldn't figure out why his tires (with same wheels) were so soft on the outside half of the tire. He didn't fill up the gap with foam.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Sorry we missed you at NCH on Thursday, I wanted to miss the traffic. I pre-fitted the tires on the rims and noticed the problem, and the MacGyver in me came up with that. Poor drawing but I guess you got it!!

RC Qualifier
    I didn't cut the piece flat. I left a bit more of the stock foam so as to take up the space to make it more firm being it is the outer edge. I was glad I test fit it before gluing. Here is a drawing.
    Thanks for the info!

Sorry we missed you at NCH on Thursday, I wanted to miss the traffic. I pre-fitted the tires on the rims and noticed the problem, and the MacGyver in me came up with that. Poor drawing but I guess you got it!!
    Drawing was good. Yeah, traffic is just a <female dog> nowadays, especially in that direction. Catch you guys next time.

If you're curious on tires, 2 sets is a good idea:

Damp track: proline primes (clay)
    Dry track: Jconcepts dirt webs (super soft)
    Muddy track: wait around 'til it's no longer wet

The track was good, had traction was reliable. It is just nice to get back on the track. I ran those tires on that track before. OK dirt before. I do need to make some small adjustments.

I need to make some adjustments too, this is what I was running Thursday:

Before I get banned for a non-Traxxas chassis, that is a Traxxas 2075 servo in there and it worked great!

I hope you at least had a traxxas sticker on the body!!! Grasshopper!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    he has a traxxas servo

So I am trying out the Traxxas blue springs. Shock oil is going to play a part. I just went to the pink springs in the rear and was loose but fun. Blue springs are going to get an honest try.

So I am trying out the Traxxas blue springs. Shock oil is going to play a part. I just went to the pink springs in the rear and was loose but fun. Blue springs are going to get an honest try.
    What surface are you running on and what tires?

Hey Razor, I am running on a parking lot and the street. The stuff I usually run on over the last 4 years.

Tires are the stock Traxxas ones, not the s1 compound the longer wearing ones. I use them to tune with as they are just about what I would expect the truck to feel like at the track. It does help me a bit believe it or not. I can tell what I do/did to the truck and adjust from there. I have fun doing the trial and error thing.

Hey Razor, I am running on a parking lot and the street. The stuff I usually run on over the last 4 years.

Tires are the stock Traxxas ones, not the s1 compound the longer wearing ones. I use them to tune with as they are just about what I would expect the truck to feel like at the track. It does help me a bit believe it or not. I can tell what I do/did to the truck and adjust from there. I have fun doing the trial and error thing.

That's cool, I thought maybe you were trying to tune for loose dirt, of which I'm not sure what springs people are going with. I'm curious what you find with the blue springs over pink though -- it's been so long since I've ran pink that I forgot how they work.

I usually run pink up front and black in the rear, thought I would try the pink's in rear. I also up'ed the shock oil from 32.5 to 35 in the rear. I am going back to the 32.5 for the rear as that is the sweet spot for my truck. I am thinking about 30wt with the blues and dropping the front to 45wt. from 47.5wt. I also went to the silver sway bars thinking that the springs would make up the difference from the black ones. We will see

When I went to NCH I changed the diff's and tires from my street set-up and that was it and the truck was working great there. I still wanna meet up at NCH with you and see how our trucks compare.

Sure, you're welcome to drive my truck anytime, if you like.

I'll be there today until about 2:30, Friday first half of the afternoon, and probably Saturday evening with my son for the Rookie races. So it's not hard to find me!

Let me know if you want to meet a certain day and I'll make sure I have my Slash. It's been sitting in my garage for a couple of months, rather lonely I'm sure.

Well the experiment went well. I put the blue spring's on front and rear. Went with 45wt in the front with the 1.6 piston's. And for the rear I used 32.5wt and the 1.5 pistons. I lowered the ride height a touch below the axles level. About 2mm. lower.

I have to say it worked great. Felt a little more responsive to the throttle and the turning was the same as my normal set-up.
    The speed bumps felt normal with a little more bounce to them. Overall very satisfied

I just realized that I don't have my diff set-up's for the street and track so....

Track set-up, 7k front, 10K center, and 2K rear. For the track I do recommend using a center diff.

Street set-up, 30K front, and 10K rear. For the street I have been using the revo slipper with the stock pad's so it will slip. The reason I want it to slip is for traction and to save the stock axles as much as I can. You can use the center diff for a street application on 2s only and I use 100K in the center diff when I am experimenting with it!

I do keep two complete set's of diff's, one set for racing and one for the track. I do use the XO-1 diff set-up for both.

Well after a couple of testing run's I have the truck set-up with the blue Traxxas springs the way I like it.

Front 40wt w/1.5 pistons GTR shocks!! I also am running the front with the bottom eyelet two threads showing on the shaft.
    Rear 30wt w/1.6 pistons GTR shocks!!
    Front lower shock mounting in the third from the outside, rear is 1st hole from outside. Top's I have in the middle hole.
    I have also dropped the diff oils too. Front is at 20k. and rear at 5k. for my street bashing.

Both front and rear axles level at ride height.

This has been a fun experiment. It has really livened up the suspension.

Well here we go again...

Last pass by then I was bringing it in. At least it lasted three pack's

I have found that 5k in the rear diff makes it harder to sustain a wheelie. Gonna try 7k.

Good thing my order has arrived.
    Last edited by thesmogman; 09-16-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Why aren't you just going for the MIP's or Tekno's?
    "Gone racing"

Because I can not spend that much at one time. I had a set of MIP's and I gave them away. At the time I thought they were too heavy for 2s. I am mostly just breaking the rears at this point.

Just got to loosen the slipper a tiny bit more and I am good. I think the problem was that I was wheeling with 5k in the rear diff and the rear tires were swapping back and forth too fast. I can usually make them last 5-6 packs which is OK with me.

Ok, I hear you.

Also, there is the fact that you could buy multiple Traxxas axles for the price of one set of MIP's.
    "Gone racing"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast