Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Awesome I will put it under the scope. I kept my 50 power portable.. I will PM you my address.

Hey Gunner,

Well looking at it after I removed it you can tell it is twisted. MIP was right.

So I spent yesterday putting the stock axles on and charged up a battery and....I have my old truck back. Ran it til the battery was slowing and had a great run.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

RC Qualifier
    Cool. Sometimes ya just gotta look up close to see.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    X duty time?

Nope, Sticking with the stock axles. I don't care how many I break now!! The truck is faster and more nimble with the stock axles.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post
    Nope, Sticking with the stock axles. I don't care how many I break now!! The truck is faster and more nimble with the stock axles.
    Makes me wonder if you could somehow reinforce them but without reinforcing the whole thing it probably won't work cause it'll just break elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    keep on upgradin

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That would add weight again....

I just received my order from Amain and I had ordered 1952x. These are the rear hub carriers and I was surprised that the kit included the hinge pin's. Not the screw in type but actual hinge pin's with the C-clips. Also it included a couple of set screws and countersink screws which I am wondering about. What are the screw's and the set screws for???

Here's a pic.

And here is a pic of the rest of the order.

I just received my order from Amain and I had ordered 1952x. These are the rear hub carriers and I was surprised that the kit included the hinge pin's. Not the screw in type but actual hinge pin's with the C-clips. Also it included a couple of set screws and countersink screws which I am wondering about. What are the screw's and the set screws for???
    Only other screws on that assembly would be the turnbuckle camber screws???
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I would think so but why the countersink? Also I can see a hole (See pic of the one carrier on the bottom) I think that is where the set screw's go to hold the hinge pin I guess?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The countersink is for the rod ends. It retains the older style hollow balls

Well the rear hub's are installed, those c-clips are a pain. The I installed the new sway bars and link's. While I charged up a battery I assembled the axles. I got a complete set F/R for when they break.

I pop'ed the battery in and went for a spin. WOW!!!!! no broken axles so I decided to press my luck and charged up another battery and did a couple of adjustments. I raised the rear ride height a touch and lowered the front a touch.

This time I ran it a little harder and WOW....no broken axles. It figures that when I have spares to replace them they don't break. I might be on to something!!!! It was a good day.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Vroom vroom

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Where have you been hiding?

Hiding??? who me? So... no broken axles over the last 4 run's. I got all my diff's serviced including the center diff's too. I went up in diff fluids to 30k front and 10k rear and went to the pink springs front and the stock black springs in the rear. Seems a little looser with these changes. Could be the colder weather.

It is funny that when I installed the rear hubs with new a-arms and it still has play. Boo. I even installed the grub screws but it didn't change anything.

What have you been up to?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just building cars with lipos and brushless motors

Well....Only broke 2 axles in one pack yesterday. I dropped diff fluid to 20k front and 7k rear. Truck drove beautiful.

I also worked on bump-steer, added washers then removed them. I flopped the ball end and that was all I had to do in the first place. Tinker tinker tinker and more tinkering.

Oh yeah I had to loosen the slipper a more bit too.

WI dropped diff fluid to 20k front and 7k rear. Truck drove beautiful.

I also worked on bump-steer, added washers then removed them. I flopped the ball end and that was all I had to do in the first place. Tinker tinker tinker and more tinkering.

Oh yeah I had to loosen the slipper a more bit too.
    I forget what diff fluid you used to run, but I remember thinking, ??? I found 20k F/10k R to be about right, never tried to do more fine tuning than that.

If you're still running stock bellcranks, that is the other area that will make the biggest difference -- stock servo saver is way too weak.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

I just went back through my thread and it showed me that I had tried 30K and 10K before and I didn't like it.

With the breakage of the axles I have been trying things that would loosen up the truck like this. Just making too big of an adjustment.

The next purchase (with the agreement of my wallet) is going to be the STRC bell cranks along with more axle parts. My 1:1 car took any extra $$$ I had to play with this month.

Here's a new update... Camber link testing.

So I was sitting there looking at my truck while charging a battery and thought let's play with the camber links.

So I put the inner screw in the bottom hole farthest in and re-adjusted the links to 1 degree negative all around at ride height.

With doing this it changed the angle of the steering links, had a lot of bump steer. So I adjusted the outer link on the carrier with 2 washers. ( the washers are like the ones on top of the bell cranks) That fixed it.

So I take the truck out for a spin and results..... This was the best the truck has handled doing high speed turns.

It still amazes me that I still find something to test and the results were great. And no broken axles!!!

Glad to hear!

If you're not learning, you're not living.

I'm always worried about tweaking the camber and toe and steering links too much to where I'm lost trying to recover it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What work's in one condition might not work in another. This was purely street running and it might not work elsewhere.

I have a standard setting that I will go back to if I get too far from it. I print out the set-up sheet and make notes on the changes I do. I have a pile of them now, all dated and what they improved or not improved.

RC Qualifier
    What work's in one condition might not work in another. This was purely street running and it might not work elsewhere.

I have a standard setting that I will go back to if I get too far from it. I print out the set-up sheet and make notes on the changes I do. I have a pile of them now, all dated and what they improved or not improved.
    Thats what they do in 1 to 1 racing. At least the good teams.

Hey there Smog, I see that you have moved away from the MIP axles. I can't believe the Race Duty bent like that on you! Running 3S and STOCK axles, on both my Platinums, I have not had an issue one. They aren't half bad for a factory piece. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if you happen to know what the actual weight is/was for 1 corner of those Race Duty MIPs you were running? The X-Duty are beast, but HEAVY, so I thought the Race Duty MIP would be a great balance. Uh, maybe not. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the MIP's Race Duty but after reading your posts, I thought otherwise. Bought the PL Pro-Spline HD Axles instead and like what I see! As for durability, time will tell. Got a Castle 2200 sensored on the way so we'll see real quick "if"... LOL!... something's gonna break.

I'll see if I can weigh them over the next couple of days. I'll get back to you on your request, plus I want to know too

I still am surprised about them bending. I still can not believe that my truck running 2s with a gearing of 19/52 would have enough torque to bend them. MIP has always had great quality in my book and I have been using their products for years.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I told you they were going to break. We drive to aggressively for these toy cars

Thanks Smog, sounds good. Like others have said, it looks like compression killed the bone... but did it? I know you know your stuff... and know it well... so just curious, did you notice any bending of the pin or a surface defect on the outdrive that might indicate it bottomed out, some kind of evidence of what truly caused the damage? I see your MIPs have long since been removed but do you happen to recall how close the cross pin on the bone got to the bottom of the outdrive slot when at its lowest point? The reason for asking is that we were trying to determine the amount of flex in other components that could allow for this to occur and maybe figure out how it might be averted when running MIPS RD or any other similar CVD setup. Since nothing else was reportedly broken or was even bent at the same time the bone "flexed", it is indeed unusual. Would be nice to know why such a revered part as this would fail so easily. BTW, did Gunner ever get a chance to check out the axle under the scope? The devil is always in the details!
    Last edited by shack351; 02-08-2017 at 02:24 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Would be nice to know why such a revered part as this would fail so easily. BTW, did Gunner ever get a chance to check out the axle under the scope? The devil is always in the details!

actually the race duties are not a revered part... the x duties are legendary

Was 3am in the morning when I wrote that but what I was meaning to imply is the MIP name, not a specific part. MIP does make some legendary products, this isn't one of them!

RC Qualifier
    I would still love to look at them.

I tried to get MIP to replace the part's that were bent. MIP has stopped making them for some reason?????? Does not matter to me.
    As for the cross pins... Had over 1mm. Clearance when the suspension was fully compressed.
    Race duty's have been discontinued. I might exchange them for x duty's but haven't made up my mind.

Get it and forget it!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any Updates?

No, but one thing I haven't broke anything in 3 packs. I have something coming that I have been wanting.... You are going to have to wait for it!!

I just went back through my thread and it showed me that I had tried 30K and 10K before and I didn't like it.

With the breakage of the axles I have been trying things that would loosen up the truck like this. Just making too big of an adjustment.

The next purchase (with the agreement of my wallet) is going to be the STRC bell cranks along with more axle parts. My 1:1 car took any extra $$$ I had to play with this month.
    Well I found a little extra cash so....

Yes, I think I am done with upgrades, just gotta keep the axle parts coming.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I need to make mine back into an sct. For a monster, I need to buy myself a yeti xl

So I installed the STRC bellcranks yesterday and overall the install went smoothly.

Make sure you adjust the tension screw enough so that it doesn't rub on the chassis.

The only other adjustment I had to do was lengthen the turnbuckle that connect's the servo to the bellcranks 4 turns to line up the servo's center to the bellcranks. The bellcranks were off to one side and the wheels were pointed to the right without the adjustment.

I also installed new shoulder screw's that I did grease along with the servo saver parts. The servo saver feel's a touch tighter than the stock one which is what I wanted. Overall I am pleased with it.

Looks great!

Agreed... I haven't had any problems with mine.
    Quality assembly!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast