RC poster

Installing a LRP ZR.30x engine into Revo 3.3

Hello all,

Will a LRP ZR.30x engine fit with the Traxxas big block conversion kit?

Thank you,
    Odindris

RC Enthusiast
    I think ive seen it done before
    Traxxas aton, losi dbxl, axial yeti

RC Champion
    yes it will fit but I don't think you can upgrade to the 1/8 scale clutch using that mount without slotting the transmission mounting holes and moving the trans forward a little bit. Get a big block pipe for it. The 30x is a beast of a motor and drinks fuel and is hard to get to idle well. At mid to full throttle your revo will be hard pressed to keep the tires on the ground. It's about as close as you can get to brushless power in a nitro revo. Oh, and parts will break. Lot's of them. I did it and went back to the OS TM because I got tired of fixing it.
    I have an RC problem...

RC poster
    can someone confirm if the LRP with pull start will fit? I bought my truck used & came with offset hot racing alloy rear arms. I also have a dead LRP z28R to dummy it up with.

but the only mount available now is the traxxas mount. I may not necessarily use a new z28R but if it will fit most other engines will. it was a tight squeeze in my hyper 7 which was factory big block. the SH21 that's in the hyper now is about 7mm shorter in overall length.

if I can confirm it will fit it will open up the engine options

Any progress on this?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    yes it will fit but I don't think you can upgrade to the 1/8 scale clutch using that mount without slotting the transmission mounting holes and moving the trans forward a little bit. Get a big block pipe for it. The 30x is a beast of a motor and drinks fuel and is hard to get to idle well. At mid to full throttle your revo will be hard pressed to keep the tires on the ground. It's about as close as you can get to brushless power in a nitro revo. Oh, and parts will break. Lot's of them. I did it and went back to the OS TM because I got tired of fixing it.
    I was thinking about getting the LRP Electronics 32820 ZR.32 Specification 2 for the Revo, can you not slip it so it's gradually into the power without breaking parts? Did you upgrade the parts as they broke?

RC Champion
    The transmission is the weak point. I started carrying a spare trans to swap out at the track if I broke one. Sure you can go easy on the throttle but what fun is that?
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    The transmission is the weak point. I started carrying a spare trans to swap out at the track if I broke one. Sure you can go easy on the throttle but what fun is that?
    I'm talking about being easy on the start, I see no reason to do burnouts in the dirt. Did you upgrade the parts as they broke? In that sense, upgrade from plastic to metal and such. Is there no way that you can build that tranny so it will be reliable? I am just trying to get a sense of it all before making the decision whether to go or nogo. If it is possible to strengthen the tranny to make it as reliable with the 3.3 I would like to try it. If it cannot be done I believe you are the man that would know, being your experience with it. Thanks r-r

RC Enthusiast
    How much larger is the LRP ZR compared to the Traxxas 3.3?

RC Champion
    I am by no means the first to put a high power motor into a revo. I wanted the big power and thought it would be fun and sure it was for a while. But, the constant fixing of transmissions got old not to mention the drive-ability takes a big hit - at least on the track. I like to race my truck on a track and the big block is just too much. The TM works way better in pretty much any situation. It's the right size power upgrade, you keep the outstanding fuel economy and the engine is just stupid easy to tune. Not trying to sway you away, but my experience with a big block was just like the other 99% of people who have done the swap. Almost everyone goes back to a small block and all that money dumped into a revo chassis in a attempt to get it to hold the power is money you will never get back.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    I use the lrp .30 spec 2. It's a real beast of a motor. Now due to having previous motors more powerful than the 3.3 (TM523, Sirio S27, Axial .28 and .32) I have rrp tranny gears and of course erevo diffs. It's pretty much undestructable driveline wise. I have the buku clutch installed and after a season of using I'm now starting to do some more indepth tuning to tame the instantaneous wheelies. The powerband on this thing is rediculous.
    Revo3.3 - LRP ZR.30 Spec 2/BUKU Pipe

REVO K'os what mount are you using? Is there a build thread somewhere?

RC Qualifier
    No build thread but it's an old new era mount.

RC Qualifier
    No build thread but it's an old new era mount.

I was afraid you'd say that. Lol. Those are hard to come by. I wondered if the Traxxas BB mount would work.

RC Champion
    the traxxas BB mount will work as long as you don't try to use a pull/roto start. the ofna t-start box works great for spinning over big blocks
    I have an RC problem...