RC Enthusiast

Old Traxxas Rustler - Transmitter only works to about 20 feet?

Hey guys, I have the old Traxxas Rustler from around 2006 (not the original from the 1990s). It sat on my porch and was slightly exposed to the elements for, oh, only about 3-4 years or so. I temporarily got out of the hobby and it just lay there, all sad and alone.

Then, a few months ago I bought a Stampede VXL, then bought another Stampede VXL (one of them was used and very cheap). So I then set my eyes on a Rustler VXL which I'd always wanted, before remembering I HAVE A RUSTLER!

So I got it out, cleaned it (sort of), fired it up and the old Titan 550 was completely gone (sounded like one of those screaming goats). I bought the Velioneon system, some Slash tires for it, put oil in the old dry shocks, and fired it up. That torque! But, it hadn't got twenty feet away before everything stopped responding from the transmitter, and the VXL-3s ESC started blinking green quickly (it had been red as I was running the 7-cell NIMH battery). I know that light usually means to put the throttle trim to 0, which I did, but nothing changed. Pretty sure I need a new transmitter/receiver. Any way to tell which one it is? Also, is there a cheaper receiver/transmitter set that would work for casual use than the new TQi? I just spent $150 on the Velineon system and $50 on four new tires, I really don't want to put another $100 for the TQi system.

I made a very short video showing the blinking LED, as well as how far away the transmitter was when everything stopped. Thanks everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqU15lp80VU

Poor rustler At least it got a nice upgrade though. I would scrap that receiver and transmitter and buy a cheap 2.4ghz system. See what flysky has, they're really affordable and come with lots of cool features.

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    On your porch? Don't understand why it sat on yor porch but thats beside the point. I would get the Tq system used since it is cheap but a flysky system will be better.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet, thanks man. They're having a sale on this guy right now:http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct3c-3...lcd-green.html Looks pretty solid, I may go with that. I've never bought an aftermarket electronic part before, just A-Arms etc, so I'm a little paranoid about compatibility with the plugs that connect the esc/servo to the receiver, and getting the receiver to fit into the chassis, etc. Any reason to be worried or do I just suffer from aftermarkaphobia?

RC Enthusiast
    jcpede, yeah I'm not proud of it. Haha I actually gave it to my dad hoping he'd get into the hobby and I don't remember which one of us actually put it out there but either way it wasn't the greatest idea. We have a fully covered porch, but when it rains really hard sometimes rain blows onto the porch so I'd say moisture exposure is the reason for the receiver/transmitter failures.

RC Racer
    If you dont need to drive all your trucks at the same time you can just upgrade the RX to Tqi and bind to an existing TQi remote. Looks like they are under $30. Although the FlySky you linked to looks like a good option too. I have the GT3B and have to supply it with 8 AA's.

RC Qualifier
    Jennys Rc is my new go to chop shop. New parts, decent prices.

RC Enthusiast
    Chet I love that idea. I'd say at most I'd be driving two trucks at once with my girlfriend and I racing, so if I got a TQi receiver I'd be good to go. Thanks much!

Don't worry about compatability. The esc plug for the receiver is still the same 3 pin futaba style. The servo and esc are the same connector/pin. You can put the small rx into the waterproof box as well, and they include an antenna tube that fits. Aftermarket is always better! (mostly)