RC poster

Is the Slash 4x4 the right rc for me?

Hey everybody new to the forum

Before I start asking questions I might as well introduce myself and my situation

Ever since I was little, I always was interested when it came to rc cars/trucks. But the thing is I never had the time or the money to get into the hobby. ever since then I never thought about buying one...but that changed about a week ago. My good friend told me he got a Stampede VXL for his birthday and wouldnt stop talking about it. so I finally got the chance to go over and try it out. Instantly, I found out how fun it was ripping it around
    So the thing is I dont know which rc I should get. I dont really want a stampede cause I wanna try something different. I was looking at the slash 4x4 and I am kinda leaning towards getting one. I will be riding on my quad trails which includes grass, and hard compact dirt. I most likely wont be doing any crazy jumps or anything. mostly just bashing around. my budget would be around $300. I would also like a 1/10 scale. Once again Ive been researching for a while but I am still a noob.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider7884 View Post
    Hey everybody new to the forum

Before I start asking questions I might as well introduce myself and my situation

Ever since I was little, I always was interested when it came to rc cars/trucks. But the thing is I never had the time or the money to get into the hobby. ever since then I never thought about buying one...but that changed about a week ago. My good friend told me he got a Stampede VXL for his birthday and wouldnt stop talking about it. so I finally got the chance to go over and try it out. Instantly, I found out how fun it was ripping it around
    So the thing is I dont know which rc I should get. I dont really want a stampede cause I wanna try something different. I was looking at the slash 4x4 and I am kinda leaning towards getting one. I will be riding on my quad trails which includes grass, and hard compact dirt. I most likely wont be doing any crazy jumps or anything. mostly just bashing around. my budget would be around $300. I would also like a 1/10 scale. Once again Ive been researching for a while but I am still a noob.

Thanks
    I think the Slash 4x4's are yelling pick me at you! You will absolutely love the Slash 4x4! It is a very durable truck. It is also heavily supported by several aftermarket companies. I am going to give you my greeting for new members

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. remember we are here to help!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

A Slash 4x4 would be great, but a $300 budget would be very tight.
    Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide.
    Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I struggled with the same decision. I went with the Slash 4x4 TSM OBA. My son-in-law & grandson went with the Stampede VXL. The On Board Audio of the Slash makes the truck a lot of fun to drive and it's not something that can be added easily.

Comparing the Stampede VXL to the Slash 4x4 with Vemileon 3500 is easy. They basically have the same parts. Same motor, ESC, TSM receiver, shocks, A-arms, drive axels, steering servo and many other parts are the same.

The difference is the larger tires on the Stampede and the body. The Slash body collects a lot more grass and dirt than the Stampede. After running the same area, the Stampede is fairly clean compared to the Slash. The chassis of the Slash fills up with debris while the Stampede stays fairly clean.

The larger tires on the Stampede handle rough terrain better. The added diameter gives the truck an extra cushion to absorb hits.

The Slash has a lower center of gravity and tends to flip over less. It's battery compartment is larger and accepts a wider variety of battery sizes. There seems to be more customizable parts available of the Slash. In a head to head race, they are about the same speed. Sometimes I wish I had the Stampede and vice versa. They're both fun trucks. On a budget, go for he Stampede VXL.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forum!
    I have both a 2wd Stampede and a 4wd Slash and they are totally different beasts, for sure! Is there any chance that your friend has some other friends who have a 4WD R/C for you to try?
    If you're going to bash with your buddy very regularly, you might find it nice to have similar-performing trucks. It really ups the fun factor when everybody's running similar trucks.
    Also, I think that a 2wd truck will be cheaper and easier to fix/maintain.

But, the 4WD Slash handles beautifully and is quite stout. Way better acceleration and cornering with a 4WD truck.

All that being said, you won't find a new Sl4sh for $300. You'll have to settle for used if you go that route. A new 2WD Stampede can be had for $200 if you get the xl-5 version. If you're even a little bit mechanically inclined, I'd buy used off craigslist or eBay. Used R/Cs sell for about 40% of new price, FYI.

Good luck on your decision but you're in an admirable position, having to choose the best of two good options!

RC Racer
    There's so many good things about the Slash! It's fast, fun, can be driven or raced anywhere, and easy to get get parts and work on! A Slash will be a great choice!
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Competitor
    Welcome. I think the slash would be great for what your looking for. I am a relative newbie as well and love my slash for just general ripping around on different surfaces. It is fast and tough. For $300 bucks look for a nice used unit and you can probably even find one with several upgrades already. Lipo batteries and a lipo charger are great additions to the deal as well if you can get them.
    4x4 Slash
    Slash carpet racer
    Slash mudboss

RC Qualifier
    I myself stay away from used. A lot of times it's someone's else's problems. Stripped out bolts, bad electronics. That's just my 2 cents. Anyways I know you have a budget but try and go brushless right away. You will save in the long run. ..

RC Racer
    Welcome. I would say that a slash and a stampede are both great options. The stampede is great a rough terrain with it's ground clearance and big tires and wheelies are cool. I picked the slash because it's easier to drive hard without flipping it. 4wd is really nice when you're off roading. But if you must have something now a brushed 2wd version is in your budget.

I would suggest saving a little longer and getting the brushless 4x4 if possible of look on different forums and craigslist for some used deals.

RC poster
    I must thank you for all the advice. I am definitely getting a slash 4x4. Ill see if I can convince my old man on the budget lol. But once again a huge thank you to everyone for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider7884 View Post
    I must thank you for all the advice. I am definitely getting a slash 4x4. Ill see if I can convince my old man on the budget lol. But once again a huge thank you to everyone for the advice.
    You are very welcome! Send him our way if you need help with convincing him. You can also get a good used Slash 4x4. I have been in the Slash 4x4 game for six years. Santa just brought me my first new one good luck! Keep us posted
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Someone told me to pick up a slash as a goto truck. I have yet to touch any other truck i have. In fact I could sell everything except my slash tomorrow and wouldnt even blink.

RC poster
    i have had experience with my sons driving a stampede, a rustler, and now we have 2 slash 4x4's. Go with the slash. most durable by far. The pede breaks every time we take it out. The rustler has broke a wheel and a front bumper. The slash has been most abused by far and i haven't had anything break on it at all. Check offer up or let go and you can get a good deal. I bought my slash at a local hobby shop for $450 but my son just picked up the same model on offer up for $370 with a lot of upgrades and extras that i am planning to work into mine. I was going to upgrade as things broke, but i can't break it!!!