RC Racer

Aluminum axle carriers, which ones are these?

Picked up this ERBE and it's got some mods. There is something wrong, when it's hooked up there is some grinding so I'm thinking its transmission or diff gears. In the mean time, the boots for all the pivot balls are junk or close to. Which axle carriers are these? What's the trick for the pivot ball caps? I know some of the pivot ball retainers are missing as well.

RC poster
    Those look like the STRC aluminum steering knuckles. On this point, has anyone else had problems with these knuckles rubbing the RPM lower arms when set to max travel? I will post this as a separate thread on the erbe section.

Looks to me like the pivot balls are screwed in way too much. I run mine in just until the threads disappear into the end of the A arm flush with where the shank on the pivot ball starts. I can't remember but the instructions that come with the RPM arms say not to screw the pivot balls in too far or it could damage the arms.

Also to help keep the pivot ball boots from tearing, I put some silicone shock oil on the shank (non threaded portion) of the pivot ball then slip the boot on over the shank. It will help keep the boot from twisting when you are screwing in the pivot balls into the a arms.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-05-2016 at 08:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Looks to me like the pivot balls are screwed in way too much. I run mine in just until the threads disappear into the end of the A arm flush with where the shank on the pivot ball starts. I can't remember but the instructions that come with the RPM arms say not to screw the pivot balls in too far or it could damage the arms.

Also to help keep the pivot ball boots from tearing, I put some silicone shock oil on the shank (non threaded portion) of the pivot ball then slip the boot on over the shank. It will help keep the boot from twisting when you are screwing in the pivot balls into the a arms.
    Thanks. I received it this way and just gonna go through it and make sure things are up to snuff. I remember such phrasing with my 1/16 E-Revo arms so I'll have to see what the bigger arms suggest and change to that. Also that tip for the boots sounds awesome.
    What I noticed is the back one are all fine, but they have black retaining rings whereas the front have blue and seem to be weaker. Was thinking about seeing if I could install all black rings on them.