Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks guys. I'd have had a video already but the weather is supposed to get back into the 60s later this week, for now we went back to snow and 30F.

Also, someone previously rolled a quad on that same hill climb (the small one in pictures, the video one so far is dirtbike only), and if I filmed myself trying to make it up after the truck got stuck on a tree, it's definitely a bit more understandable lol.
    Last edited by Sneetches; 04-06-2016 at 10:57 AM.

RC Competitor
    I know you have a picture of the rear mount shown, could you post a pic of the front cage mount please?

I really like the tread patterns and flat "blocky" scale looks of the Axial Trepadors and Pro-Line Flat Irons.
    If going 2.2 wheels, what tires would you recommend? Either of the above?

I currently have 2.8 Trenchers on my rig.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Squeegie; 04-07-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I think either should be fine, but I'd take the r35 Trepadors first. I just prefer the looks + Pro-Line's tires don't always mount up to some wheels because of the beads. I can slap Trenchers on this thing and see how they do lol, I'm sure the high speed handling might be a bit better because they're much shorter.

I know you have a picture of the rear mount shown, could you post a pic of the front cage mount please?
    I can a bit later here.

---

Unfortunately, the weather is looking crappy for this weekend as well. I might just do some preventive maintenance and pretty the thing up, as well as waterproof the new electronics. Balancing the tires is up there as well since I taped them.

I was leaning towards the Trepadors (I like the way they look on yours), but decided to go with the Flat Irons. Why? They have 2 different diameters to choose from, 5.5 or 4.87 (I chose the 4.87) and I already have Pro-Line 2.2 Titus wheels... might as well go with Pro-Line tires. I figure they will mate up nicely. I need a good fit because I'm still running my 2200kV motor. One of these days I'll switch to a sensored Tekin!

Once I'm all done, I'll post up some pics. This is a long time build pile. Hopefully I'll get all the parts together by the end of this month. Still got to figure out how I want to mount the cage (mine did not come with the piece that you have mounted to the rear shock tower). Lots to figure out (build and design), but I'm in no rush for this conversion.

Thanks again!

RC poster
    Subscribed for this...I'm torn between going Summit or building a Slash like this!

RC poster
    Any chance getting a video of this running?

See post #40 of this thread.

Here:
    http://vid300.photobucket.com/albums...psk3lngrvd.mp4

Yeah that was a short teaser video that I shot with my cell phone. I have two vids on my Youtube (MegaSneetch) of a friend and I both attempting the same hills that I'm trying to make with this truck. Here's one of the friend's Slash, he was only running 2S in the video, otherwise 3S is pretty much necessary to have enough speed for the hills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE1RUituTBk

---

Otherwise, just bear with me because I'm waiting to make the video as well...forecast for this weekend is freaking 32F w/ Snow showers on Saturday and 42F on Sunday. At least Easter was 75F and I got to run the Summit and entertain everyone.

Here's my "well designed" front body mount...the 2 screws go into the shock tower. The body posts are from a Losi XXL and are screwed in from the bottom plate. My first plate was only 1mm ABS and broke after 5 runs of abusing hill climbs, so this second plate is made of 3mm ABS. The 2nd 1mm piece on top just kind of acts as a washer for the shock tower screws.

---

Also, I woke up this morning and was disgusted to see 2 inches of snow outside...It's mostly melted now by 5 PM of course but still 30F outside. Ugggh.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
    Here's my "well designed" front body mount...the 2 screws go into the shock tower. The body posts are from a Losi XXL and are screwed in from the bottom plate. My first plate was only 1mm ABS and broke after 5 runs of abusing hill climbs, so this second plate is made of 3mm ABS. The 2nd 1mm piece on top just kind of acts as a washer for the shock tower screws.

---

Also, I woke up this morning and was disgusted to see 2 inches of snow outside...It's mostly melted now by 5 PM of course but still 30F outside. Ugggh.
    thanks for the pic

Went ahead and did a couple things today. Balanced the tires and starting waterproof the Tekin Pro4 and the MMP.

I also put 2 orders in. I rounded off the hex on the rear right axle, which was from when it got loose and the wheel flew off last time I was hill climbing. I ordered the Tekno aluminum hexes for their m6 axles and I'll see how those do, since my wheel hex also got a bit chewed up there.

I also decided to order a new servo. I took a chance and for $55 I picked up the "RC Gear Shop" HV Ultra torque servo. Supposedly this has titanium gears, and is supposed to be rated for a whopping 425 oz-in at 7.4v. I will do a teardown to waterproof it and will see if I can test these claims for sure, but for the price it was hard to pass up compared to the next $100 option.

RC Qualifier

I also decided to order a new servo. I took a chance and for $55 I picked up the "RC Gear Shop" HV Ultra torque servo. Supposedly this has titanium gears, and is supposed to be rated for a whopping 425 oz-in at 7.4v. I will do a teardown to waterproof it and will see if I can test these claims for sure, but for the price it was hard to pass up compared to the next $100 option.
    I wonder if you will brown out your receiver with this new servo ?

Nope, I installed a CC BEC set to 7.4v to power the new servo. It most likely would stump the Mamba Max even with a capacitor on it without the BEC.

Unfortunately I didn't get to tear down the servo because I couldn't find my super-tiny phillips screw driver, but either way I got it installed yesterday and reinstalled the electronics. On first impressions, I don't think the servo is reaching that 425 oz-in mark, it just doesn't feel like it compared to my Xpert servos, but I will have to conduct a legitimate pull test to actually confirm that.

Otherwise the truck is ready for action this weekend, hopefully video as well.

RC Qualifier
    Put a go pro onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know how well on-board would work honestly...it would fall off way too much and I couldn't keep it on because it would outright break something. Plus, I would if I had Adobe Premeire Pro's Warp stabilizer, but I don't have that with Premeire Elements.

RC Qualifier
    My Go Pro has outlived a couple RCs now...the mounts however, well, I've gone through a few of them, lol.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Shot a ton of footage today of bashing at some slate dumps, so I'm editing and should have the video up on Monday. Not at the spot you guys have been seeing in the pics, but my friend told me about it today (he'll be in the video) and honestly it was a lot of fun for a new spot to drive in.

The truck worked well today but I had a couple kinks that I was at least able to drive through. One was my servo horn loosening but luckily I was able to tighten the screw and keep going. The second was that my ESC actually came undone from its double-sided tape mount and I was able to duck tape that back down and continue going. I also lost a lens in the rear light bucket unfortunately after some violent crashes.

Otherwise, the Tekin Pro4 / MMP combo did very well today. Didn't get to take temps but I only started getting up in temps during 3S and full throttle continuously. 2S had both easily below 130F the whole time. Plenty of power to kill some hills but smooth enough for trail driving back to the house.

Video is up. Let me know what you guys think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68PMNQ7C6uY

Looks like you had a great time!
    I wish I had the time and location to run like that.

One of these days...

Have fun!

Thanks, I will get a video up of me trying the hill climbs in the woods some time here as well. That spot is quite a ways out so we probably won't get there too often, it's about a mile hike or so. The hill climbs I've been referring to are only a quarter mile into the woods so they're easier to get to, but way harder on the trucks because we roll a LOT trying to make them lol.

RC Competitor
    Excellent video, can't wait to do a similar build

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Awesome build!!! Was in the middle of converting my slash 4x4 HGC to a LCG when I came upon this thread and decided to ditch the short course and go full Slash Yeti.

Not trying to derail anything...but does anyone have a link to this build?

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDee View Post
    Awesome build!!! Was in the middle of converting my slash 4x4 HGC to a LCG when I came upon this thread and decided to ditch the short course and go full Slash Yeti.
    That looks great, do the Super Swampers rub at all on the body though?

Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    Not trying to derail anything...but does anyone have a link to this build?

Couldn't find that one, but it reminds me of Michaelsjo's Slash Trail Thingy:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5993327

Yeah I saw that one...oh well...the search continues.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDee View Post
    Awsome car! Could you give a link to your build?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinii View Post
    Post 106 at the bottom of the last pic.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    I have a cage that I'd be willing to part with since my slash isn't the stock size anymore. I have a similar cage as the vgracing cage.
    1/6 slash 4x4 R34 GT-R mamba max x sys

RC poster
    That looks great, do the Super Swampers rub at all on the body though?
    Yeah, I had to cut up the body about to make it rub less.. I'm thinking about chopping up the rear of the body to make the body hug the roll cage more.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinii
    I don't have a build thread. :C

RC Racer
    Sneetches I love this build, and that video has me pumped to build something very similar, do you think a HCG chassis would work with the yeti cage? I believe the LCG chassis is narrower like the stampede chassis. Maybe I could cut the HCG chassis down on the sides to make it work?

Yeah I had to trim the inner beads off. The nerf bars are counter-intuitive to crawling of course but I'm using them as a bump stop for the cage, otherwise there'd be nothing limiting the down travel on it, so they work out great for the big roll overs to stop the cage from going too far. So far no real rubbing on the cage with the new tires but it's pretty close, especially in the rear.
    Do you think the 2.8 Proline Badlands wheels would clear the suspension?
    And speaking of the Badlands...how was the performance compared to the Trepadors?
    Another couple I'm considering are the Axial BFG T/A Krawler 2.2 or the TSL SX Super Swamper 2.2" G8 trimmed for a sct wheel... but not sure about the performance of those either.

I know the 1.9 TSL XL Super Swamper performs great on my SCX10,but they aren't cut on the back for a 3.0 wheel either.
    Last edited by dcfox; 04-20-2016 at 12:04 AM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

Quote Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
    Sneetches I love this build, and that video has me pumped to build something very similar, do you think a HCG chassis would work with the yeti cage? I believe the LCG chassis is narrower like the stampede chassis. Maybe I could cut the HCG chassis down on the sides to make it work?
    I would have to look but I believe they'd be pretty similar in width because they both mount nerf bars, but the LCG may be a bit narrower with bigger nerf bars to compensate. Otherwise, the cage mounting is only dependent on the shock towers and the way you mount it from there.

Do you think the 2.8 Proline Badlands wheels would clear the suspension?
    And speaking of the Badlands...how was the performance compared to the Trepadors?
    Another couple I'm considering are the Axial BFG T/A Krawler 2.2 or the TSL SX Super Swamper 2.2" G8 trimmed for a sct wheel... but not sure about the performance of those either.

I know the 1.9 TSL XL Super Swamper performs great on my SCX10,but they aren't cut on the back for a 3.0 wheel either.
    Yeah the 2.8s clear fine, that's what I was using beforehand. I only switched because of the additional .5" clearance from the Trepadors. I can't comment on the exact performance differences, I will have to try them both in the same places at the same time one day. Otherwise, I have a feeling they're pretty close in overall performance, but of course my Treps are pretty modified from the original design...

I'd probably consider the 2.2" Super Swamper SX, because I think any tire over 5.5" might create rubbing issues, however I don't have any to test at the moment so I can't officially say it will, only that I can see my Trepadors just barely touch the cage at full suspension articulation.

I'm guessing 2.8 Badlands would probably be my easiest/most economical choice.

Next question...
    You've run both the HCG and LCG chassis on this build correct?
    My Slash is currently a LCG. Is it worthwhile to switch to the HCG chassis or should I be happy the way it is?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just kinda OCD and I like researching all I can to avoid wasting money on trial and error.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

I haven't tested the HCG chassis yet. I may have to one day but I just don't feel like switching everything onto the new chassis, then possibly back to the LCG. The only thing the HCG will help with is ground clearance and the crawling aspect, which to me isn't nearly important as going fast/hill climbs.

RC Racer
    I'm guessing 2.8 Badlands would probably be my easiest/most economical choice.

Next question...
    You've run both the HCG and LCG chassis on this build correct?
    My Slash is currently a LCG. Is it worthwhile to switch to the HCG chassis or should I be happy the way it is?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just kinda OCD and I like researching all I can to avoid wasting money on trial and error.
    Hcg is better. Been using it for 5 years and I've run the LCG, and just am not a fan. Hcg gets more ground clearance in hill climbing and bashing and lcg is more for a racer, and besides, you can always go back if you don't like it

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Did you use the axial screw to hold the panels on?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Awesome job! I've been exploring(obsessing) my options for cages for a while now and I'm trying to decide if I should go with the 1/10 yeti cage which was love at first sight via this thread or go with the economical option of a SC8 cage which would be significantly cheaper (-+$40 for the entire cage assembly). I already decided I want to stay with the nylon plastic construction.
    Has anyone had similar issues in deciding what cage to fit?
    #RcProblems

Thanks!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast