RC poster

Exclamation Repairing an old Bandit! Need help!

Hey there folks,

New to the community.

I've had an old Traxxas Bandit for many years, got it when i was young, and it's been sitting around for a while.

Recently, I've decided to get it back up and running.

I knew it needed a new battery, so that was the first thing I went out and got.

When I plug the battery in, the wheels just spin at max speed, I get no response from the remote controller. I remember that it used to do this if the remote controller wasn't on, or if it got out of range it would just take off.

So naturally I assumed it has to have something to do with the receiver.

I purchased a new 2015 BEC receiver, as well as a new set of crystals for the receiver and the controller.

BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!

I'm not sure what to check next. I really have no experience in this sort of thing and thought it would be interesting to learn, but I'm at a dead end, so I turn to you kind people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I've tried taking it to some local hobby shops only to find they all have gone out of business...

20160305_114430 by Sir Novak, on Flickr

20160305_114436 by Sir Novak, on Flickr

20160305_114546 by Sir Novak, on Flickr

RC Racer
    You could get a new XL-5 motor for real cheap ($15-$20) on eBay. If that doesn't help, replace the TX and RX with the basic TQ set or upgrade to the TQi. In the market place here, there is someone selling the TQi set for $65 and someone else selling than XL-5 for $35.

RC poster
    Would a new motor really help? I mean that seems to be the only thing working as far as I can tell.
    As I said, the back wheels spin at top speed when the battery is plugged in, figured that means the motor atleast works... guess I was wrong? haha.

I think Fahrvergkevin meant the XL-5 ESC. You have the old MSC (mechanical speed control) which is as old as I am and is driven by a servo under neath the esc that sits in the chassis. The servo may be bad, you could pull it apart and check/replace if you wish to keep it original or just upgrade to the XL5, You can get one cheap off the internet or go brushless which would mean a few more things would need to be up graded.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Racer
    Don't take my word for it, I'm fairly new to the hobby. I just thought it could be an easy thing to try given how cheap the used parts are today. Many people swap the XL-5 out for the VXL motor or something like that, so if all you want to do is get it running, it might be easier and cheaper to replace the suspect parts. Maybe the RX and TX are the first things to swap out. But it's hard to tell if it's that combo or the motors ESC that is telling it to run full speed.

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    I would put a xl5 set up with a new servo and a 2.4 gigahertz (hope I spelled that right) radio also you you should regrease the tranny and berings with traxxas grease and the diff. I would refill the shocks to. Hope this helps.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

Wow that thing is ancient lol. I would highly recommend an ESC, lipo battery, and a 2.4ghz radio system. Your new rig will be a totally different animal.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    I think Fahrvergkevin meant the XL-5 ESC. You have the old MSC (mechanical speed control) which is as old as I am and is driven by a servo under neath the esc that sits in the chassis. The servo may be bad, you could pull it apart and check/replace if you wish to keep it original or just upgrade to the XL5, You can get one cheap off the internet or go brushless which would mean a few more things would need to be up graded.
    This is likely the culprit. Old MSC with a bad servo. It's likely stuck in a throttled position. You could take it apart as suggested or replace the MSC with a newer XL5 electronic speed controller.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Enthusiast
    Definitely lose the Tx, Rx and esc, even if they were more or less working. That will get you off and running.
    Your steering servo will also suffer from age. evilBay can cheeeply supply all this stuff if you shop carefully.

RC poster
    Okay so if I upgrade to the XL-5 ESC, would I need to replace anything else?

I really just want to get it running so I can use it around the backyard.

I have no qualms about replacing anything, but I'm not trying to drop alot of cash on this.

And yeah this thing is old as **** if you can't tell. Haha.

Also thanks to everyone for the responses!

I agree with the issue being a froze throttle servo and or the MSC. The steering is working is it not?

If your just looking to get away cheap and run it as it sits, You can just replace the MSC with the XL-5 ESC which can be found for pretty much $20-$30 all day long. And would hook right up to the Stinger motor. You would want to get the ESC mounting plate also, or you could just mount it to the chassis with some servo tape. (3m double back heavy duty)

That Bandit dates back to about 1995 when they were first offered, They had model number 2410 which was the RTR version or model number 2401 which was a unassembled kit. Both came with the Stinger motor and the rotary speed control.

Theres tons of other upgrades, but the ESC should get you up and running.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 03-06-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    I agree with the issue being a froze throttle servo and or the MSC. The steering is working is it not?
    The steering is not working. I get no response with anything between the remote controller and the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNovak View Post
    The steering is not working. I get no response with anything between the remote controller and the car.
    Did you perhaps leave batteries in it over all that time and they leaked? If so your problem would lie in the tx (radio).
    I had one do the same and cleaning it will not work, they do have replacement springs for the batteries but if it leaked into the tx as mine did it is done. You may need to get another tx/rx which can be found from $30.00 to $500.00.
    You already know the motor works so the problem lies in the two servo's or the radio.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Is the receiver getting power? You can find out using a multimeter and probing the wires plugged into the "batt" port on the receiver.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Ok..... Is the red light glowing when you turn the transmitter to the on position? Are the new crystals you bought both 27mhz. You said you also bought a new receiver so I doubt that's it. You can check for juice with a meter. Or a known good servo.

It's possible the steering servo is toast, but most of the time you would get atleast some response. Are you sure you have the servos and MSC in the correct ports? Just trying to eliminate a few things.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Sounds like the MSC is not feeding power to the receiver.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC poster
    Honestly, me being a bandit owner too I think that the esc is gone.i recommend that you get a xl5 esc and motor. With decent gears i got it to 32mph even everyone looks down on that system