RC poster

Traxxas Summit 1/10 Castle Creations Motor/ESC Combo Help

Ok, so I know this question has been asked probably millions of times, but I'm just too lazy to scroll thru hundreds of threads in search of the answer, thus I'm asking the same question again lol. I found a person locally who is parting out his Team Associated t4.2 which had a Castle Creations Combo on it. He is willing to sell me a 5700kv motor (1406 series) and a sidewinder 3 ESC which have 2 runs on both. Would this work on my summit? Would it be more or less "Plug-and-play"? If it would work for me, what pinion would I need? Fans, heatsinks, etc? It states that it can run 3s lipos. Does this mean one 3s, or two 3s in parallel? Anything else I need to know before I dive into the Brushless World? Thanks for all the help.

If you try to run that 5700 motor and sidewinder esc in your summit you will completely destroy the esc and motor because it is meant for way smaller vehicles (1/12 I think). The mamba monster x and 2200 kv motor and esc combo are probably the best drop in combo that you can get (6s lipo max)
    Too much power is just enough

Don't buy it. That's meant for 2WD Rustlers, Stampedes, Slashes. It will burn up.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Even in a Rustler I have to be careful with that motor.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    You can not run that in the summit without burning it up. I would upgrade to mamba monster or the sidewinder 8th castle creations is doing a power up program for the summit right now. It's $135 for the sidewinder 8th combo or $170 for the mamba monster 2 combo.

RC poster
    Ok. Thanks alot folks. Just saved me alot of money. The person wanted to screw me over I guess because he said it would be totally ok to run it, and he has already tried it in "his summit" which I guess does not exist lol. Thanks again.

With modifications you might be able to run that in the mini Summit but never in the full size Summit!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

I mean if you hear it really low it will work fine, but that's just giving up the fun. Get a 2200 or 2650, both are powerful indeed.

RC Champion
    I've tried the 3800kv and mmp in the summit, it did work. didn't over heat (2s geared 9/72) and had just enough power to do normal trail stuff. but the power felt lack probably since I had it geared so low and running 2s. that to run it up a hill or snow bank just felt wrong.... like having your foot on the floor trying to go up a hill and rolling backwards
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    I have the sidewinder 3 and 5700kv motor in my MERV. It would work for the 1/16 summit. I would definitely not use it in a full size summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionkev55 View Post
    I mean if you hear it really low it will work fine, but that's just giving up the fun. Get a 2200 or 2650, both are powerful indeed.
    I honestly don't think you gear it low enough. It simply wasn't made to move an 11 lb 4WD 1/8 scale truck. The lowest you could maybe gear is what 9/68? And you'd have to run 2S parallel to the ESC, which I'd bet would be fried in pretty short order.

On the other hand, with a 1/10 motor mount adapter in a MERV it'd prob be a perfect fit and a blast to drive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    I've tried the 3800kv and mmp in the summit, it did work. didn't over heat (2s geared 9/72) and had just enough power to do normal trail stuff. but the power felt lack probably since I had it geared so low and running 2s. that to run it up a hill or snow bank just felt wrong.... like having your foot on the floor trying to go up a hill and rolling backwards
    There's quite a bit of diff btwn the 3800 and the 5700 though. Interesting to know the 3800 will work. Should've read your post closer b4 my other post. 72/9 huh? That'd be some torque on a stock setup!