RC Racer

Upgrade options from stock velineon motor.

Ok in my last thread we were talking about my really nasty cogging issue and the motor is likely blown. I have tried putting the 11t pinion back in with no luck. So what motors are a good upgrade from the 4 Pole velineon motor? I'm looking for more speed, less heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Everborn128 View Post
    Ok in my last thread we were talking about my really nasty cogging issue and the motor is likely blown. I have tried putting the 11t pinion back in with no luck. So what motors are a good upgrade from the 4 Pole velineon motor? I'm looking for more speed, less heat.
    I fear the same happened here :-( mine started doing the same just a little bit ago. I have on order kershaw 2700 kv motor. Which I've heard good things about. Excited for it to get here.
    Last edited by Briber; 03-07-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    I fear the same happened here :-( mine started doing the same just a little bit ago. I have on order kershaw 2700 kv motor. Which I've heard good things about. Excited for it to get here.
    Hmm, maybe I'll order one. Can you use the stock vxl3, can you pretty much just drop it in?

RC Qualifier
    I highly recommend upgrading the esc. It has plenty of power but after using one with ANY programming options (for turbo, drag brake, punch control, etc) I can't see myself every being happy with the three presets the vxl comes with. The wp sc8 is a popular choice.

But you can "drop-in" a new motor and it will work.

Hmm, maybe I'll order one. Can you use the stock vxl3, can you pretty much just drop it in?
    Idk yet...
    Im assuming...
    Drop it in.... yes
    Work with vxl3... don't see why not

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneSparks View Post
    I highly recommend upgrading the esc. It has plenty of power but after using one with ANY programming options (for turbo, drag brake, punch control, etc) I can't see myself every being happy with the three presets the vxl comes with. The wp sc8 is a popular choice.

But you can "drop-in" a new motor and it will work.
    I understand there's allot of better options out there for an ESC but I just want my car running normal. I blew my motor in under a month.. I just want a good motor that I can drop in so this **** car works correctly. This Kershaw 2700kv sounds good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Idk yet...
    Im assuming...
    Drop it in.... yes
    Work with vxl3... don't see why not
    The only thing I'm seeing is a different pinion for the 5mm shaft.

I understand there's allot of better options out there for an ESC but I just want my car running normal. I blew my motor in under a month.. I just want a good motor that I can drop in so this **** car works correctly. This Kershaw 2700kv sounds good.
    I was running my castle 3800kv motor on 3s today and esc temps were 151 on my wp sc8 at one point, not good!... I wish now I would've went with the 150a esc...

I already picked up a 15t 5mm pinion from lhs, I forgot yes that's a 5mm shaft, good catch there!

Does anyone know if the 2700kv will make esc run cooler?
    Last edited by Briber; 03-07-2016 at 08:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    This one also has a 5mm shaft but is the one I am currently using and I LOVE it. Noticeably more torque, stays cooler, no problems with it yet. I feel it is a nice upgrade from stock and it fits nicely.
    3190kv

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...321285&alt=web
    You can find it cheaper on the hk site.
    Last edited by ShaneSparks; 03-07-2016 at 08:16 PM.

RC Racer
    I have to imagine these two motors aren't waterproof like the velineon?

Unless the motor has sensors on it most motors don't mind water. There isn't enough voltage to short them out and there aren't any electronics in them. It just a bunch of copper wire.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Enthusiast
    I have the Kershaw on the sc8, runs good, motor is strong. its all good in the water. Get ready for new shafts and remember when ordering gears...its a 5mm outpost...may or may not have ordered the wrong size once with out paying attention.

RC Racer
    Is getting the velineon 3500 4 pole stock motor a bad idea?

RC Racer
    Fwiw I have the 4pole 3500 now and I can tell you that it rocks. I am getting greedy and planning on an upgrade but....have hit 70 easy but kinda hot there.

RC Qualifier
    The only thing that is a problem with water is the bearings, in any brushless motor. I try not to get mine wet but it snows here, warm motors melt snow, I can't help it......

RC Enthusiast
    In my experience, the Caste Sidewinder ESC's are not a good choice. I have burned them up, the Pede is just too heavy.

If you are going to upgrade, I would not go with anything other than this: Mamba Monster 2 with 2650Kv motor

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXDAVK&P=K

Tower has it for 3 payments of $80. Hard to beat that. You can run anywhere from 3-6s and will not have any issues with heat. 4s with this setup is a sweet spot, plenty fast and very reliable.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLgator View Post
    In my experience, the Caste Sidewinder ESC's are not a good choice. I have burned them up, the Pede is just too heavy.

If you are going to upgrade, I would not go with anything other than this: Mamba Monster 2 with 2650Kv motor

Tower has it for 3 payments of $80. Hard to beat that. You can run anywhere from 3-6s and will not have any issues with heat. 4s with this setup is a sweet spot, plenty fast and very reliable.
    As awesome as that likely is that's really expensive, that's half the price of the car I just bought less then 2 months ago. So that kind of purchase just doesn't make sense to me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    As awesome as that likely is that's really expensive, that's half the price of the car I just bought less then 2 months ago. So that kind of purchase just doesn't make sense to me.
    Look up hobbywing wpsc8 its 120a esc up to 4s or their 150a esc that's water proof. It's like the wpsc8 but more amps can go up to 6s. And look up kershaw 2700 or 2400 motors both are pretty cheap. There's a few that runs the sc8/2700 and are very happy with them. I would suggest a neewer 2650 motor but I can't find them cheap like $30 cheap. I have 3 of them and very happy with those motors.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Look up hobbywing wpsc8 its 120a esc up to 4s or their 150a esc that's water proof. It's like the wpsc8 but more amps can go up to 6s. And look up kershaw 2700 or 2400 motors both are pretty cheap. There's a few that runs the sc8/2700 and are very happy with them. I would suggest a neewer 2650 motor but I can't find them cheap like $30 cheap. I have 3 of them and very happy with those motors.
    Nice, thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    I can respect that. So I would say to just be careful with your ESC choice. I started with a 1/10th Sidewinder SV3 combo because of the price ($110 for motor and ESC) and it was nothing but headaches and heat made it unworkable. Castle makes a 3800kv 4-pole motor that is a good replacement/upgrade from the Velineon for about $110 by itself, if you just want to replace the motor (or 2 payments of $55):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKDV&P=ML

Reason I mentioned the 2650 combo is because of the easy pay deal with Tower, no credit required, $80 gets it delivered and gives you 30 and 60 days to come up with the other payments. They have a lot of combos that have easy pay.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

I run that HW/Kershaw 2700kv in my Slash...love it! However the 2400kv has disappeared and the 2700 is listed as clearance. I emailed Kershaw to see if they planned on continuing them...so far no reply. It's a great package on 3s and stupid fast on 4s..mine is currently geared 20/54 for winter. I'll probably go back to 17t pinion in the summer. I can beat a 3s SMC through it and temps stay under 150f.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I run that HW/Kershaw 2700kv in my Slash...love it! However the 2400kv has disappeared and the 2700 is listed as clearance. I emailed Kershaw to see if they planned on continuing them...so far no reply. It's a great package on 3s and stupid fast on 4s..mine is currently geared 20/54 for winter. I'll probably go back to 17t pinion in the summer. I can beat a 3s SMC through it and temps stay under 150f.
    I noticed that too about the 2400 when I was looking for it. Bummer I was thinking about getting that 2400 since it has a 5mm shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I noticed that too about the 2400 when I was looking for it. Bummer I was thinking about getting that 2400 since it has a 5mm shaft
    I told them in my email that these motors were generating lots of interest on the forums(not just here). I had a Castle(Traxxas) 2400kv in my Slash when I bought this 2700kv as a backup after hearing talk of the 2400 breaking the 3mm shaft. I threw this thing in just to make sure all was OK....my 2400 never went back in, it now takes up space in my spare parts bin. This thing performs every bit as good,if not better, than the Castle at a fraction of the price.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I told them in my email that these motors were generating lots of interest on the forums(not just here). I had a Castle(Traxxas) 2400kv in my Slash when I bought this 2700kv as a backup after hearing talk of the 2400 breaking the 3mm shaft. I threw this thing in just to make sure all was OK....my 2400 never went back in, it now takes up space in my spare parts bin. This thing performs every bit as good,if not better, than the Castle at a fraction of the price.
    Sounds like my neewer 2650. Looks like the castle but black and still running after ur and half.
    That's one reason why I haven't bought the 2400 castle or traxxas style is after going to a 5mm shaft I can't see myself going back down to a 3mm. I'm very happy with all my 2650 motors. If needing another motor for some small build I'll probably get that 2700 it's close to the 2650. For speed though I'll take a poseidon

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLgator View Post

For what it's worth, my sidewinder 1/8 has been going strong for over a year and I'm running a slash chassis. Quite a bit heavier than the stampede.
    Chances make champions!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magstang1 View Post
    For what it's worth, my sidewinder 1/8 has been going strong for over a year and I'm running a slash chassis. Quite a bit heavier than the stampede.
    I have read that those are good, but I was referring to the SV3 1/10th model. I think anything designed for 1/8th should be sufficient. But that one is still at a relatively high price point right? Either way my experience with the 1/10th ESCs has been dicey unless you go to Mamba Max (and even that had its issues with a 2200kv) when it comes to Castle at least.

RC Qualifier
    Seems like I paid about $180 for my motor and ESC. If you can afford the upgrade, it makes the truck a totally different animal. It will require some other parts be upgraded as well. Driveshafts likely won't live long. Outside of that, the usual drive till it breaks, then upgrade applies.
    Chances make champions!

RC poster
    i am new to the electric thing and have been doin a ton of upgrades. i found the taser 4000 kv to be a killer set for the money. it is not water resistant but it comes with a esc and motor. my brother put it in his slash 2wd and is close to 70 mph.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jophis82 View Post
    i am new to the electric thing and have been doin a ton of upgrades. i found the taser 4000 kv to be a killer set for the money. it is not water resistant but it comes with a esc and motor. my brother put it in his slash 2wd and is close to 70 mph.
    How long can you push it on 3s before it gets hot? I feel that 4000kv is too high, especially because I like to put 4s in mine, rarely. I run a 3190kv and if I ever change it out I figured I'd go lower kv. What gearing are you running?