Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    We're up to Lipos now, no reason not to if the trucks are set up right in Lipo mode. I had them run the Nickel packs for a few months though. Only 2s though obviously, but even if they could take a 3s pack I wouldn't allow it yet. Too much power and speed and our budget is strained enough replacing parts for one truck, let alone 3. And I use SPC and Venom packs and been very happy with both.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CounterTrey View Post
    We're up to Lipos now, no reason not to if the trucks are set up right in Lipo mode. I had them run the Nickel packs for a few months though. Only 2s though obviously, but even if they could take a 3s pack I wouldn't allow it yet. Too much power and speed and our budget is strained enough replacing parts for one truck, let alone 3. And I use SPC and Venom packs and been very happy with both.
    It's nice to run on lipos compared to nimhs, I bet the boys enjoy the trucks more that way, I remember my first lipo blew my mind lol

RC Racer
    Only had time to get one coat of the metallic blue on the inside of my raptor stampede thus far.. Had to leave for another busy day. So one more coat of blue, then Gunmetal, then off with the masking and a black gets layed down.

This time I think I'm just going with a small bit of carpet tape and shoe goo around the mount holes only.

The rest is getting covered with Gorilla Tape I think.

Gonna save a bit of weight, and hopefully be a little easier this way too.
    Last edited by Stanleybb50; 03-27-2016 at 04:24 PM.

RC Racer
    Well I wussed out and went full tilt with the shoe goo and carpet tape... Lol. Added all that weight and made a mess..! Used 2 and a half Shoe Goo's! Gotta be one of the most annoying things to do in RC. I deem that I'm officially doing the gorilla tape and/or other strong tape next time... Haha

I hope it cuts well tomorrow, or whenever I deem it's had enough time to cure.

RC Racer
    2.5? You're using way too much. I use about 3/4 of one tube to do an entire body. If you want it more bullet proof then finish it off with spray leak seal, the undercoating stuff you buy for your vehicle or leak seals around the house. One coat of that to finish it off is incredible and it doesn't weight as much as all that shoe goo.

RC Racer
    2.5? You're using way too much. I use about 3/4 of one tube to do an entire body. If you want it more bullet proof then finish it off with spray leak seal, the undercoating stuff you buy for your vehicle or leak seals around the house. One coat of that to finish it off is incredible and it doesn't weight as much as all that shoe goo.
    Yeah - it was like I had to use that much to get the carpet tape to stick and stay down properly. I'm having regrets and wish I just used gorilla tape. Haha

RC Racer
    Here's what it looks like. Been sitting since around midnight last night. I might let it cure til tomorrow before cutting.

RC Racer
    I do the goo mod for all of our bodies but I have a slightly different way of doing it based on what yours looks like. I'm betting yours took a lot longer, you have a lot of strips cut there. I'll post my procedure later and try to add a few pics if I can. I use drywall tape, not carpet tape, maybe the adhesive is better? Also I've found when you use a ton of goo it actually makes it tougher to get things to seal down, the tape starts to become a mess and too malleable. Last but not least make sure you have a little cup of water for a rinse when doing this. I use my finger to spread it instead of a card or anything else. It's the fastest, I can dip it in that water to prevent sticking and a wet finger helps spread that good easily. Fingers are also easy to push goo into corners and crannies with.

RC Racer
    Oh and FWIW I've found it's easier to trim the body and get it fully cut out before I paint it.

RC Racer
    I do the goo mod for all of our bodies but I have a slightly different way of doing it based on what yours looks like. I'm betting yours took a lot longer, you have a lot of strips cut there. I'll post my procedure later and try to add a few pics if I can. I use drywall tape, not carpet tape, maybe the adhesive is better? Also I've found when you use a ton of goo it actually makes it tougher to get things to seal down, the tape starts to become a mess and too malleable. Last but not least make sure you have a little cup of water for a rinse when doing this. I use my finger to spread it instead of a card or anything else. It's the fastest, I can dip it in that water to prevent sticking and a wet finger helps spread that good easily. Fingers are also easy to push goo into corners and crannies with.
    Good idea on the water! And maybe drywall tape is more malleable. Hmm.. Oh well - at least I know my brick of a body is strong. Haha

RC Racer
    Now I'm regretting the extra weight. If i take another afternoon to paint another body, my wife will kill me.... Haha. Guess I gotta live with it.

Between this and the widest basher bumper and servo protector I got, I'm driving a little brick. Haha.

Someone make me feel better about it please :-)

RC Racer
    Another body ordered. Hahaha. This one I'll do with tape gorilla tape mostly.

I didn't install the decals yet and they're all cut out. That's half the battle, so I'll just proceed with them. The actual painting doesn't take all that long.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanleybb50 View Post
    Another body ordered. Hahaha. This one I'll do with tape gorilla tape mostly.

I didn't install the decals yet and they're all cut out. That's half the battle, so I'll just proceed with them. The actual painting doesn't take all that long.
    So this body will just be a straight basher body? no decals or nothing you can just beat the crap out of it lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
    So this body will just be a straight basher body? no decals or nothing you can just beat the crap out of it lol
    Haha that's true! We'll see how this first one holds up.

I was shocked at how much the front wide basher weight changed the driving dynamics. Almost for the good in a way though I guess. It made it more prone to oversteer (I like).

Still waiting on the T-bone rear bumper though. Once that's installed and I have the body I'll be sticking with, I'll decode on suspension. For now a couple extra spacers up front helped level it back out.

I guess with extra weight (and) the Trenchers I'll go ahead and install the 10t pinion. Temps seemed fine with Trenchers and stock weight, but might be a bit much for Trenchers + extra weight.

RC Racer
    Maybe I will toll with this body.... Haha. Might forego the front bumper, or run a lighter one (RPM maybe). I have the Wide Basher from T-bone, but it's pretty heavy...

RC Racer
    I run the RPM wide front bumper and it's pretty light and strong, you would like it. The paint looks amazing on that body, that metallic blue really pops, I would be proud of that body!

RC Racer
    I run the RPM wide front bumper and it's pretty light and strong, you would like it. The paint looks amazing on that body, that metallic blue really pops, I would be proud of that body!
    Thanks much! I just ordered the RPM wide front bumper from Amazon. Can't wait! Haha paid the $3.99 extra to receive it tomorrow.

I'm still waiting in the T-bone rear + wheelie bar. I think I'll stick with that when it comes in.

I really dislike that body!

*giggles and points at his avatar*
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Me too.

RC Racer
    Me too.

Nice!! Like a cross between the ops color and mine.

Not sure, but I think I had 5 of these bodies.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Not sure, but I think I had 5 of these bodies.
    Very nice! What tires and wheels are those? And the offset/etc?

RC Racer
    What I'm looking for is essentially Trenchers with a harder compound. And wheels with a little wider offset. Although... I might go with the 17mm (or is it 18) conversion.

It's so hard to figure out these offsets because no wheel companies seem to actually give the real offsets. They just say "for this truck or thst truck...."

Haha it's not like wheel and tire shopping for real cars! I want actual offsets and rubber wear numbers. :-)

I should just go back to the Talons as they seem to suit what I'm after perfectly, but they just don't "look" the part. Haha.

RC poster
    Nice paint job, that Pede looks tuff!

RC Racer
    One thing I will say for sure is that I absolutely love my Stampede. The Merv (my first rc that I bought only a couple weeks earlier than the Stampede here) doesn't have that same "fun factor" for me at least. Likely due to the fact that most of the easy places to bash (my yard) is mostly grass. Then a 70ft or so two car width driveway.

Hopefully I can hold off until Xmas to f etc something else! Haha. Brushless E-Maxx maybe? Brushless E-revo? Slash VXL? Another Stampede? Lol

Maybe a roller that will be a fun little project? We'll see... All I know is this Stampede is incredible.

Very nice! What tires and wheels are those? And the offset/etc?
    Super Swampers on F11 wheels.

You can find all the info in this thread.

RC Racer

Thanks much!

RC Racer

Fantastic thread. Thanks again.

Most welcome!

RC Racer
    As a follow up, I weighed the carpet tape and the like 2.5 tuves of shoe goo body and it weighed 7.5oz, while the Jconcepts raptor body alone (I got another) unpainted and no decals, it clocked in weighing 4.7oz. So we're talking about less than 3 oz of weight up high and is as strong as a dang tank!

No regrets. :-)

RC Racer
    I put on a an extra layer of spray on leak seal as a last finishing coat and it's the same deal. The extra durability is worth it.

RC Racer
    So what's the concensus here on wheel wideners? I originally wanted to get rid of the (slight) rubbing of the Trenchers on the Raptor body and add some stability.... But am I creating a greater risk of breaking something in hard core bashing due to the extra leverage impacts can have from the wider offset?

Here's what I got. They seem like nice quality metal and installed perfectly.

RC4WD Z-S0407 Mini 12mm Wheel Widener (4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4O1PGQ..._h3DbxbH1G1MFM

Yes or no to spacers in general on a Stampede? Here's pics of them installed on mine. In all honesty, I feel it "looks" better without the spacers myself.

Sometimes widening just goes too far. In general it helps preventing your car tipping over sideways and it improves cornering, but too wide kills the looks IMO.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Sometimes widening just goes too far. In general it helps preventing your car tipping over sideways and it improves cornering, but too wide kills the looks IMO.
    I believe I may be in that category here soon lol. I just installed the protrac kit on my p4de which look great, but I just bought a set of ofna mt3 split wheels which have zero offset so my p4de will be extremely wide. I'm running hot racing 17mm adapters with 6mm offset, but when the 10mm offset comes back in stock I will be swapping to those.

RC Racer
    So stretched the chassis out lol

RC Racer
    So stretched the chassis out lol

Very nice! That just a Slash chassis? Lot more stability? Any regrets?

If I ever get another RC, it'll be a Slash VXL 4x4 or an E-Maxx Brushless or maybe even an E-Revo Brushless.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    If you don't like the chassis sticking out past the body since swapping chassis's check out this tread.https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...tended-Chassis

Member of the triple digit club 100mph p4de

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    If you don't like the chassis sticking out past the body since swapping chassis's check out this tread.https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...tended-Chassis

Member of the triple digit club 100mph p4de
    GP, yea I've seen that thread awhile back, I might have to try it, I like the look of that aluminum on the sides, should be easy enough to do.

RC Racer
    Very nice! That just a Slash chassis? Lot more stability? Any regrets?

If I ever get another RC, it'll be a Slash VXL 4x4 or an E-Maxx Brushless or maybe even an E-Revo Brushless.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Yea I've ran the slash chassis before as a stampede. It does change the handling of the truck, definitely cuts down on wheelies, and there plenty more space for the electronics and lipos. I may cut the sides down like GP posted and make it look more like a stampede with an extended chassis.

So for general bashing on dirt/grass what kind of life can we expect from a body that has the shoe goo and drywall tape mod done to it?

I got my pede sometime in January and immediately put gorilla tape around the mounting holes and a few other places and it's holding up pretty well so far. I've noticed that the rear holes have started to widen a bit lately, but I'll likely just replace the tape with new and maybe add in a couple of those plastic washers they send with the trucks.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done shoe goo and gorilla tape similar to mine and compared the durability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast