Brushless combo for summit?

What would be the best brushless system that's most effective. If possible 40 mph or over(doubt it though). And will I have to make any tranny changes?
    Last edited by chris337; 03-12-2016 at 03:14 PM.

RC Competitor
    Well running mamba monster 2 combo with 2200kv motor and a 18t pinion. Stock spur gear and it's faster than I ever imagined. Castle creations have a power program going on now for $175 you can get the mamba monster pro setup. Or the sidewinder 8th for $135. They even send you a coupon for a free usb link to program the esc

Tekin RX8 & T8 sensored combo.

For Cells in Series - Motor
    4S - 2250V / 2000kV
    5S - 1700kV / 1550kV
    6S - 1350kv

40mph will not be a problem. No transmission changes are necessary but with great power comes great breakage.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

4S - 2250V / 2000kV
    5S - 1700kV / 1550kV
    6S - 1350kv

40mph will not be a problem. No transmission changes are necessary but with great power comes great breakage.
    Ok, thanks. What motor would I get the most speed out of. 70 is not necessary But which would be my best bang for my buck
    With you saying 40 is not a problem I'm interested.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris337 View Post
    Ok, thanks. What motor would I get the most speed out of. 70 is not necessary But which would be my best bang for my buck
    With you saying 40 is not a problem I'm interested.
    Thanks
    What battery combo are you going to run?
    4s or 6s. 6s is in my opinion too much for this truck
    4s is plenty of power.
    That will dictate your motor choice.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor

4S - 2250V / 2000kV
    5S - 1700kV / 1550kV
    6S - 1350kv

I hear the Tekin system also has an awesome crawl. How is it if you've tried it?

Yes it does. Not sure if I like the brushed crawling better. But sensored is far better crawling than any sensorless system I've used.

RC Competitor
    Yes it does. Not sure if I like the brushed crawling better. But sensored is far better crawling than any sensorless system I've used.
    Cool, thanks for the feedback

RC Competitor
    I wouldn't recommend the tekin esc. I've had one for years and it's just sitting in a box on a shelf. Everything is fine with it except the reverse delay......there is a long delay after coming to a full stop(at least 5 seconds). So your parked for 5 seconds before you go into reverse, it gets very annoying after a while. There is no way to program the rx8 otherwise....I tried many times...and researched all over different forums on the web and found many others with the same complaint.

For the last 2 years I've had my sensored tekin 2000kv truggy motor paired with a mamba max pro esc. With the mmp I can go into reverse as soon as the truck comes to a full stop. In my experience the mmp is the way to go. I think it's cheaper too?

That being said, I have the old tekin RX8.... Version 1, the red/black colored one. The new white version may have different programming capabilities. I have no experience with the new tekin esc.
    Last edited by NewUsername; 03-13-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Personally I love my Tekin. Smooth as butter even going up obstacles. Yes there is a delay. Its not quite 5 seconds, more like 1.5 seconds. But compared to the instant reverse of Castle systems you will notice it. BUT the inability to slam it into reverse from forward may actually save you some parts breakage.

Ps I have just the opposite, I have a tekin in my truck and an mmp system somwhere in the drawer.

Both are excellent, especially for crawling slow. But 40mph in a true 1:8 BIG and HEAVY vehicle I would feel safer with the 1:8 Tekin rather than the 1:10 designed mmp. But yes the mmp CAN run a 1:8 truck reliably.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    MMX combo does 40mph in my Summit geared 18/68 with a light weight set of tires. Best part about this combo is it's waterproof out of the box. It's surprisingly smooth for a sensorless system, and you can go very slow in low gear. If you want to go even slower and want something smoother for crawling, you can pair the MMX ESC with a sensored motor such as a Tekin T8. However the Tekin motors are not waterproof, but they are pretty simple to make waterproof by plastidipping the sensorboard

The CC MMPro can indeed run a Tekin truggy motor. I know it can get a Summit to impressive velocities, but it can also give you problems due to its weaker BEC, something I denied for a long time.

RC Racer
    Here is mine with Mamba Monster X and sensored Xerun 2200kv motor + 18/68 on 6s. Not perfect to crawl with higher gearing like that, but it works. Trencher X wheels.

I was out doing some trailing yesterday wit this exact setup and it works But I will probably drop back to 14/68 again. Its fast enough anyway.
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

RC Racer
    I love my hobbywing 150 amp xerun esc and sensored 2200kv hobbywing motor. I'm running 18 tooth pinion and stock spur with 2 2s 8200mah batteries and it is more than enough. It's scary to try and go full throttle. And it still crawls great.

I've switched in a Castle SW8 / 2200kv combo and I have no problems with the crawling...yes brushed is better control but despite being sensorless I was surprised to see minimal cogging all around, even crawling over some more technical rock piles. It got me the speed I wanted, aka 35+ mph. The combo doesn't even sweat on 4S with stock gearing, and it's way easier on the wallet in general.

RC Qualifier
    went brush-less with mine used the mm2 with a 2200kv and went with the erevo gearing which is like 18/65 i believe? id have to look but it is plenty fast and grenaded my rear diff already
    I love the smell of nitro in the morning

RC poster
    Just got MMX with 2200 motor, running Traxxas 7600 2c Lipo and Robinson 60 tooth spur gear Must say it easily does 40 with pinion gear Castle supplies. If ya got the cash it's the way to go if you wanna go fast and/or climb!