RC Champion

Rebuild or buy new

Hey guys I have an old 3906 emaxx with lots of up grades now is it worth it to try an rebuild it with brushless and lipo? Or just buy a new brushless. I have upgraded the radio to the tqi cvds aluminum bulkheads and big bore shocks still runs on brushed water proof evx2 I have the trans upgraded to the gorilla MAXX single speed. Not looking for speed but would like more run times. What do you all think I should do.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

I would buy new. There have been far too many upgrades since the 3906
    "RED"

If you convert it to brushless, be ready to upgrade driveline parts. Your slipper will be the first to go, then axles, then diffs, then hexes.

I converted a 3906 to brushless. After upgrading all of the things i mentioned + tranny, i ended up with a 3908.

That was fine with me though. I slowly upgraded things as i broke them which allowed me to keep bashing / upgrading until i had a 3908.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Since there has been so much design advancements over the past few years, I would recommend going with a new one. Perhaps buying a 3908 roller off an online auction site and build it from there. May end up cheaper in the long run.
    "RED"

^ Yup def would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 3908 roller. Even a high powered brushed system might start tearing apart your driveline, but you might consider it an option as well.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    ^ Yup def would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 3908 roller. Even a high powered brushed system might start tearing apart your driveline, but you might consider it an option as well.
    If you can find a roller!! There's new Chassis's to buy every where but a New e-maxx & E-Revo roller's might be hard to find,iv'e been trying to find a New E-Revo roller with no luck and have settled on buying a new aluminum chassis from kershaw Spendy but nice.And if you find one plan on buying lot's of upgrade part's,RPM arm's steel drive shaft's aluminum skid plate's aluminum chassis brace's a Brushless E-Maxx isn't the toughest kid onthe block.I'd buy a new one with some of the part i listed,don't get me wrong, I Love my E-Maxx (brushless)!!!
    Last edited by jon v; 03-13-2016 at 01:08 PM.

RC Champion
    Thanks guys now just need to convince the wife to let me drop the hammer on a 700+ new rig. I mean she did spend 500 on a gaming chair ...

RC Enthusiast
    If you're wondering on the cost to upgrade to a 3908.. here you go

Trans will cost you ATLEAST $80. You will need new center driveshafts, steering bellcrank slipper clutch, motor mount... i have spent about $150 on the conversion. I shoulda just bought a new brushless emaxx. That 150 doesnt include the 150 i spent on the sidewinder 8 or the 60 i spent on the new rx/tx or the $150 im gonna have to spend on new steel driveshafts, or the $150ish on rpm upgrades. Just buy a new one and save a ton of money and time... oh yeah, and headaches.

RC Competitor
    If the trans is already upgraded as well as your drive shafts I'd say go for a budget brushless setup. Your diffs might blow out but you can get the brushless emaxx diffs and they drop right in.

I extended the wheelbase on my 3906 and it'll still pull the wheels off the ground at speed from half throttle so the shorter wheelbase of the stock 3906 is something to keep in mind. I used a t-maxx 3.3 chassis for my build. I also did the mod for the new style slipper clutch on my transmission. I kept the 2 speed setup but haven't put in the steel idler for 1st gear yet. I don't need 1st much so I just try to be careful with it.
    X-Maxx/TRX4/Rustler/Stampede

RC Enthusiast
    Do what ever pleases YOU. You have something with lots of upgrades, why not keep going with it. I have an old 3906 (so old it was before the ESC recall that made them go to the Novaks) and just started goofing with it again after about 10 years. The EVX went bad and I put it up. Now I decided to play again. Swapped the chassis for the 3905. Just that is less than a new truck. But it will get up there. If I bought another, then I would have two. One in use, one collecting dust.

RC Champion
    making me ponder it i do have the old HV maxx brushless system from novak but the motor went bad thats why i have the old brushed system in it. i tried to find a replacment motor for the HV 6.5 motor but they dont make it any more. maybe i can get a motor that will work with my old HVmaxx esc? its running on 7 cells right now maybe i dont even need to go lipo yet ... but then again i wanted water proof so i just dont know. how about this is there an upgraded brushed motor(s) that will wotk with my evx2 esc? i think that will be the ticket there.

i have enough parts to build 2 maxxs in fact i was thinking of makeing a light weight 2wd maxx with brushless power (hv maxx if i can find a motor to work with it) and lipos i already have the carbon fiber chassie and single speed trans just need a arms and knuckles to make it a roller.

the second maxx i have i can do brushed with the 2 7 cells if i can get some better 550 brushed motors for it that way its all water proof to run in the snow(inlaws live in the snow some times we go there)

i just havent played with them since i be came an adult but now that i have had my first child i took everything out of storage to get it ready for when he is older lol everything i have is just so out dated tech has come up fast with this stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    I was already an adult when I got my e maxx back in 2000, hahaha
    It had all gotten packed away for about 10 years. I decided to mess around with it again. I shop on Amazon and think the prices from sellers are pretty good. You can find many brushed 550 motors there. I did not replace my dead EVX with an EVX2 so I dont know what kind of motor limitations it has.

If you do start shopping, look for LiquidRC. They have good prices and been shipping usps priority. I have been getting my stuff from New Hamster to Sacramento real fast.

RC Competitor
    Check out the dewalt motors for a brushed conversion. Thats the way I was going to go until I found a 1/8 brushless combo for $47 on sale (yes, motor and esc) at one of the big online RC places. The EVX2 will be good with the 14.4v dewalt motor though. My truck had the original EVX so I sold it on ebay for $45 and bought the brushless combo.
    Last edited by capflya; 03-23-2016 at 11:49 PM.
    X-Maxx/TRX4/Rustler/Stampede

Def brushless. Any 8th scale motor should work with that novak esc as long as the esc is rated for the voltage and kv.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Racer
    I got a good deal on my brushless emaxx roller last year after putting a brushless motor in my old emaxx and busting both rear axles the first time I punched it.

Honestly, don't waste your time or money putting money into an old 3906. I have 2 of them sitting in my garage right now. 1 I am getting ready to sell on ebay. The other one I am considering building into a snowmobile conversion for next winter.

Just had my Brushless with RPM arms and bulkheads out at a construction site hill climbing. I must have flipped it over or cartwheeled it down the hills 50 times and it didn't skip a beat. I am still planning on installing steel drive shafts in it because the eclips on the stock 3.3 driveshafts keep falling off.

RC Competitor
    Newer generation Emaxx trucks are a dime a dozen. I say to keep the 3906 and modify it to your liking.

The 2spd transmission can be made brushless ready for around $125. That alone was the best mod I did to my 3906. You maintain the crawling capability with 1st gear, and you have a high 2nd gear for speed runs and bashing around.

I've had my 3906 since the early 2000's. It has a nice mixture of 3903/3905/3908 parts in it.

Mix in some RPM parts, brushless drivetrain, Robinson Racing parts, and you've just about created a bulletproof rig.

I use mine to pull my kids up and down the street in a pair of homemade trailers. They enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/XICLMB27vVc

The 3908 transmission can be made 2 speed for about 40$. Then the 3908 has crawling/pulling/towing capabilities that are simply amazing an is brushless ready. The added benefit of going with the 3908 over the 3906 is longer wheelbase, wider track width, better differentials with oil tuning capabilities, newer steering components, better servos, better knuckles, better axles, better drive-shafts, better balance, better handling, brushless power, 2 speed capable, 17mm hex wheels capable of many aftermarket options 3.8" tires (less weight from rubber reducing rotational mass).

With all that said, if you are happy with the 3906 as is, change nothing! Bash the ever living heck out of it and smile all the way back to the house!!
    "RED"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    The 3908 transmission can be made 2 speed for about 40$. Then the 3908 has crawling/pulling/towing capabilities that are simply amazing an is brushless ready. The added benefit of going with the 3908 over the 3906 is longer wheelbase, wider track width, better differentials with oil tuning capabilities, newer steering components, better servos, better knuckles, better axles, better drive-shafts, better balance, better handling, brushless power, 2 speed capable, 17mm hex wheels capable of many aftermarket options 3.8" tires (less weight from rubber reducing rotational mass).

With all that said, if you are happy with the 3906 as is, change nothing! Bash the ever living heck out of it and smile all the way back to the house!!
    If you make the 3908 a 2spd, you'll have to add the servo for shifting.

Which means you'll have to get a transmitter with the additional channel for shifting.

And you'll lose the second steering servo. Cutting your steering strength in half.

So you'd have to get a stronger steering servo to make up for the loss of that.

Seems like a lot more than $40.

But I'm interested in seeing a write up on that. Seems doable if the modifications are made for the single speed tranny to be converted.
    E-Maxx/E-Revo/Slash/Pede/EXT2/MT8E/8ight-T

RC Competitor
    I do agree that it'll cost more in the long run to make a 3906 "brushless ready" as opposed to purchasing a 3903/05/08 outright.

But I really enjoyed building my 3906 to what it has become today. I wouldn't choose any of the other models over what I've built.

Building it is half the fun!

I will 150% agree with you on the building is fun part! That's what I spend 80% of my time doing anymore. Once you put time and effort into a rig and you make it "your own" then it becomes "your baby" and there is so much pride in the work you did to ever want to buy something new or already built from someone else...I do my own work and when I sell my cars, I want a mint for them because of sentimental value. I rarely get what I think it is worth. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhthmn114 View Post
    If you make the 3908 a 2spd, you'll have to add the servo for shifting.

Which means you'll have to get a transmitter with the additional channel for shifting.

And you'll lose the second steering servo. Cutting your steering strength in half.

So you'd have to get a stronger steering servo to make up for the loss of that.

Seems like a lot more than $40.

But I'm interested in seeing a write up on that. Seems doable if the modifications are made for the single speed tranny to be converted.

Actually, not true. The 2 speed kit comes with the shift servo and that servo mounts on the Chassis behind the transmission. You still get to use both front servos for steering. If you have the older version 2.4 radio, most were capable of 5 channels modifications, just have to install the switches and solder the wires to the board. I have personally modified 4 radios to give them channels 3-5 like the summit radio.

All in all, a great upgrade and very cost effective. I installed a summit 2 speed transmission in my E-Maxx years back, installed a 775 summit motor and used the summit tires and wheels to pull my kids around the yard in a cozy coupe! LOL! I used the same truck to pull myself in a radio flyer wagon up and down the street in front of my house! RC cars are so much fun aren't they?!?!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 04-07-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    "RED"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I will 150% agree with you on the building is fun part! That's what I spend 80% of my time doing anymore. Once you put time and effort into a rig and you make it "your own" then it becomes "your baby" and there is so much pride in the work you did to ever want to buy something new or already built from someone else...I do my own work and when I sell my cars, I want a mint for them because of sentimental value. I rarely get what I think it is worth. LOL!

Actually, not true. The 2 speed kit comes with the shift servo and that servo mounts on the Chassis behind the transmission. You still get to use both front servos for steering. If you have the older version 2.4 radio, most were capable of 5 channels modifications, just have to install the switches and solder the wires to the board. I have personally modified 4 radios to give them channels 3-5 like the summit radio.

All in all, a great upgrade and very cost effective. I installed a summit 2 speed transmission in my E-Maxx years back, installed a 775 summit motor and used the summit tires and wheels to pull my kids around the yard in a cozy coupe! LOL! I used the same truck to pull myself in a radio flyer wagon up and down the street in front of my house! RC cars are so much fun aren't they?!?!
    So the conversion relocates the servo behind the transmission so that you can retain dual-servo steering?

That's convenient. I've never seen this done on the newer models.

I just purchased all steel internals for my stock 2-spd, took it apart, and installed them.

Also used a high-torque Ofna servo for my steering needs since dual steering on the 3906 cannot be done without the elimination of the shift-servo.

My 3906 is far from what it was back in the day.

-3906 Chassis - modified for Revo-spec center shafts
    -3908 Bulkheads
    -3908 Differentials
    -Revo Spec driveshafts/centershafts
    -2spd factory transmission rebuilt with all-steel internals
    -Robinson Racing Steel Spur
    -RPM Widemaxx Kit with Tru-Trac Rear Arms
    -RPM Shock Towers (F&R)
    -Integy Aluminum Chassis Braces
    -Integy Aluminum Center Skid
    -Integy Aluminum Resi Shocks
    -VG Racing 12PPI Springs
    -Ofna High Torque Steering Servo
    -HPI E-Savage factory take-off wheel/tire combo
    -Waterproof EVX2
    -Twin Titan 550's

Truck is really wide and still maintains the shorter 3906 length.* Which I personally prefer.* It's 100% brushless ready, but I just haven't gotten around to purchasing a system for it.* Plus I need to hunt down a motor plate for a 1/8 BL motor to work with the 2spd transmission without spacing issues.*

About two years ago I put two brand new Titans in it since the originals were showing their age.* So with all the upgrades I've done, it's still only being pushed around by a pair of 550 Titans, this truck may live forever.* Haha.
    Last edited by Dhthmn114; 04-07-2016 at 12:47 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I do agree that it'll cost more in the long run to make a 3906 "brushless ready" as opposed to purchasing a 3903/05/08 outright.

But I really enjoyed building my 3906 to what it has become today. I wouldn't choose any of the other models over what I've built.

Building it is half the fun!
    You got that right. Building IS half the fun.
    You dont go out and buy a brand new car because you old one needs tires and an oil change. And you buy a new maxx and want to upgrade it. You're really not saving money. I have always liked doing hybrids. Used to take two or three car models and build one from them all. Monte Carlo LS/ Caprice headlights in my camaro. 3905 chassis on my 3906 maxx. And just swapping chassis does not cost that much to make it go. You dont consider the other upgrades because those are optional.
    Like walking on eggshells in here
    FTW v.1980

So the conversion relocates the servo behind the transmission so that you can retain dual-servo steering?

That's convenient. I've never seen this done on the newer models.

I just purchased all steel internals for my stock 2-spd, took it apart, and installed them.

Also used a high-torque Ofna servo for my steering needs since dual steering on the 3906 cannot be done without the elimination of the shift-servo.

My 3906 is far from what it was back in the day.

-3906 Chassis - modified for Revo-spec center shafts
    -3908 Bulkheads
    -3908 Differentials
    -Revo Spec driveshafts/centershafts
    -2spd factory transmission rebuilt with all-steel internals
    -Robinson Racing Steel Spur
    -RPM Widemaxx Kit with Tru-Trac Rear Arms
    -RPM Shock Towers (F&R)
    -Integy Aluminum Chassis Braces
    -Integy Aluminum Center Skid
    -Integy Aluminum Resi Shocks
    -VG Racing 12PPI Springs
    -Ofna High Torque Steering Servo
    -HPI E-Savage factory take-off wheel/tire combo
    -Waterproof EVX2
    -Twin Titan 550's

Truck is really wide and still maintains the shorter 3906 length.* Which I personally prefer.* It's 100% brushless ready, but I just haven't gotten around to purchasing a system for it.* Plus I need to hunt down a motor plate for a 1/8 BL motor to work with the 2spd transmission without spacing issues.*

About two years ago I put two brand new Titans in it since the originals were showing their age.* So with all the upgrades I've done, it's still only being pushed around by a pair of 550 Titans, this truck may live forever.* Haha.
    You, my friend, have a 3903 with a 3906 chassis lol.

Why not get the 3908 chassis and tranny? Batteries are MUCH easier to remove and install and you get a nice 3.3 spec slipper along with a brushless ready tranny.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    You, my friend, have a 3903 with a 3906 chassis lol.

Why not get the 3908 chassis and tranny? Batteries are MUCH easier to remove and install and you get a nice 3.3 spec slipper along with a brushless ready tranny.
    I like the shorter wheelbase. Just a personal preference I have.

Plus, the money has already been invested in my 2spd to make it BL ready. Plus the RR Steel Spur gear. I'm very satisfied with it thusfar. Just have to get around to putting in a 1/8 BL system in it.