Thread: Special Tires?

RC Enthusiast

Special Tires?

Hi,
    my Slash 2wd has a castle creations sv3 3800kv sct sidewinder motor/ esc combo, and i run it with a 5000mah 40c 2s lipo. It is geared for speed at 23/86, but it still get wheel spin when i am at half throttle and i go full throttle. That means my tires are fully stripped after around 5 runs with the stock tires (they were already pretty worn). I want tires that can do everything decently (grass, dirt and maybe mud, really bumpy terrain, and a whole lot of pavement). I want a medium to hard compound, whichever the stock tire is made of (which compound is the stock Slash 2wd tire? put in answer plz). I was looking at the Proline Gladiators, they look semi-knobby but good for pavement. I don't know about the wear on them though. Any recommendations? I want under $23 per pair of tires, good wear on them (medium to hard compound), and a little bit of knobs.

P.S.
    My Slash tops out at around 40-50 mph, and does a whole lot of wheel spin.

If you don't want that much wheel spin, you can either loosen the slipper clutch or (the better option) program the castle sv3 esc to have punch control so it limits your acceleration just a little so you don't just ruin your tires. People seem to like proline trenchers and badlands.

RC Enthusiast
    how long to the badlands last on pavement?
    I want them to have a lot of runs and last AT LEAST as much as the stock tires.
    The trenchers look a little too monster truck-ey so ill stay away from them. I want high-speed runs and some nice bashing and off-road action.

RC Enthusiast
    I looked at the Pro Line Dirt Hawgs. Any really bad flaws in them (bad wear or something like that).
    Also, on an unrelated note, if I'm at 23/86 gearing, how far down will my temps go if i move to 20/86 gearing?

RC Qualifier
    You want too many things.

A tire that lasts a long time, by nature of it's design (harder rubber) will not grip as well as a softer one, and visa versa. So a hard tire will spin more. Further, tires that excel at off road ability, by nature of their design will be less than ideal on road at high speeds.

Lionkev55 nailed it, adjust your slipper, adjust the punch control on your SV3...and I might add that you do not have to go full throttle all the time, lol. He is also right about the tires, Badlands and Trenchers are the "go to, do anything" tire of choice for many people.

If you just want to go out, do burnouts and burn through tires, get a set of these. http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Course-...t+course+tires
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

RC Enthusiast
    Fair enough, i think my decision is Dirt Hawgs.
    But can someone answer my question about the gearing temperatures question?

Quote Originally Posted by ncslash View Post
    Fair enough, i think my decision is Dirt Hawgs.
    But can someone answer my question about the gearing temperatures question?
    I think the best we can say is that your temps will go down, but giving your ballpark numbers really isn't possible. Gear down, run it, take temps every 5 minutes and see what happens.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I run a 2150kv motor geared 20/58 on duratrax lockups. I top out at 50mph. The tires are the best. Great traction on grass and loose dirt( I drive on a baseball field/soccer field) and on pavement they are like I'm glued to the road. I've run about 20 packs on the tires and haven't noticed any wear at all.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt