RC Racer

Nimh to lipo performance

This may be a dumb question but how much of a performance boost will i expect, when i switch to lipo on my sv3 4600kv combo? I am geared 16/90 and get about 25 mph on my nimh, and about 25 min run time, motor has not gotten hotter than 125f. Also i realize i will have to buy a decent charger when i decide to switch to lipo. That being said i am thinking of buying a charger first and lipos down the road. I dont exactly know when i will be able to get to switch to lipo but it will be before summer.

Thanks, Jesse
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

RC Qualifier
    2s well see a little better speed 3s will be a whole new world. I just went from nimh to 2s lipo and I will never! Go back to nimh.
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

You shoulb be able to gear up a few tooth on the pinion to say a 19 tooth pinion the truck will top out at around 35 mph on 2 s lipo. The stuttering when you mash the throttle should go away too. Also your punch should go up a Ton
    smooth is fast

RC Qualifier
    Yup night and day difference in the two. I think your on the right track on buying a charger first. You may want to get one that can handle at least two batteries at the same time. A decent charger should be able to charge and balance lipo's as well as charge nimh or nicad. Do you homework on the lipo's if you don't have experience with them. They can be nasty little devils.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    Yup night and day difference in the two. I think your on the right track on buying a charger first. You may want to get one that can handle at least two batteries at the same time. A decent charger should be able to charge and balance lipo's as well as charge nimh or nicad. Do you homework on the lipo's if you don't have experience with them. They can be nasty little devils.
    I run a 19/54 on a 2wd slash and am around 42mph on 2s.....

Probably a lot. I don't know if my old nimh was just dying but a 2s lipo woke it up. Not only does it have more punch, it lasted twice as long, and they can be charged faster and it was a weight reduction.

Also, if you do get a lipo get it from a trusted brand like smc or spc. Sorry for double post :I

RC Racer
    Awesome thank you guys for the advice, and i have been looking at the smc batteries they look good and decently priced. As i am in canada they will cost a little more for me but should be under 50 bucks still per battery. now i just have to research a good charger.
    Well for two decent batteries it will cost me 120 canadian, because you cant just have one lol. Hopefully i can convince the wife to let me make said purchase sooner than later lol.
    Last edited by JP24RC; 03-17-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionkev55 View Post
    Probably a lot. I don't know if my old nimh was just dying but a 2s lipo woke it up. Not only does it have more punch, it lasted twice as long, and they can be charged faster and it was a weight reduction.
    The lipo's just give max power to the end. Even my best nimh bats could not compare to my worst lipo. I don't think I even have any more nimh batteries remaining.