Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Whats every one running for batteries in these?

Seems like the 3s lipo market is lacking these days. I cant find a traxxas pack over 25c. There are some dynamite packs out there I am considering. And some very expensive trinity packs. But the usual guys I go to either smc or spc are out of stock. So what are you guys all running?
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    I've had the best luck with SPC, but I just picked up a set of these:
    Lectron Pro 3S5200-50D 11.1V 3S 5200mAH 50C Lipo Battery w/ Deans Connector
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lectron-Pro-...kAAOSwe7BW028y

Don't have much long term experience with them, but I have about 10 cycles on them and so far so good.

RC Champion
    Yea I should of specified. I'm looking for hard case lipos.

Whats every one running for batteries in these?

SPC makes some high quality hard case batteries
    Too much power is just enough

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasfan21 View Post
    SPC makes some high quality hard case batteries
    Problem is they're always out of stock

RC Champion
    Yes I have bought from them before, smc as well. Both out of stock on the high discharge rate high capacity packs.

RC Champion
    I run trackpower for all of my race packs and they have been superb. No 3s packs though.

Traxxas doesn't make anything over 25c.

I use Venom 50c 5000 - about 25 minutes makes me super happy!
    "RED"

I would personally prefer to run SPC, I have yet to find a company that has better people, or try any other battery that is better, and I've worked at my LHS for the last 3 1/2 years. SPC FTW!

I'm running Lectron Pro 3s 5200 mah 50c batteries in mine, it's what my LHS sells.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Qualifier
    wolfslash16: How are the Lectron's holding up for you?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    wolfslash16: How are the Lectron's holding up for you?
    Great actually, I have 4 of them and I've had no issues with them. I prefer the SPC's mainly due to the lower price.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Qualifier
    Agreed, I got mine pretty cheap on EBAY, but would have went with the SPC's if they were in stock. I have larger SPC 3s packs, but was looking for 3s lipos that would fit in my savage flux.

RC Enthusiast
    I have all SPC 8200mah. 4 of the 2s, 4 3s. We get bored or broke before the first set runs out, 45-60 minutes.
    Xmaxx1- mine
    Xmaxx2- daughters

RC Racer
    I use MaxAmps 9000xlmah 3s 11.1v true 100c. These are awesome batteries for the Xmaxx, on average 45+ minutes run time and real incredible fun power the entire time....
    Last edited by 2skills25; 03-20-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Open every day....

RC Competitor
    I'm running SMC Factory Spec 3S 11.1V 9000mAh 60C. I received them a couple weeks ago. Even though it says pre-order on their website, they shipped right away.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tnafe View Post
    I'm running SMC Factory Spec 3S 11.1V 9000mAh 60C. I received them a couple weeks ago. Even though it says pre-order on their website, they shipped right away.

Thanks thats great info. Maybe i will send them an email and see whats what.

RC Racer
    I'm running the Traxxas 84s, 64s for the walk and change. Having problems with my voltage monitor on my link.

RC Enthusiast
    SMC 3s 11.1 9000mah 60c. Great for the price.

RC Racer
    what problems are you having with voltage monitor on your link?
    Fortenwinkler

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DirTyy View Post
    What's your average run time with those packs? I love the crazy power 8s produces but sometimes I just want hit jumps and be out as long as I can. I've been eyeing those SMC batteries.

4 Traxxas 3s 5000

RC Champion
    I have an email out to smc to see when they expect packs to be in. I will probably go with them, as thats what i use in my 1/8 buggies.

RC Racer
    I run square V* battery packs. They are 60C, 7.4V 5200mAh, last about 20-25 minutes top and take 85 minutes to charge.

I made two foam blocks yo hold them in place and fitted a velcro strap on top, they don't move a bit and I've flipped and crashed the truck a bunch. This is far from a clean setup (I used 3M blue insulation foam) but it serves its purpose just fine. I'll post pics later when I get the chance.

I didn't expect that but they are heavy enough to tip the truck forward when I jump (3-4 feet in the air and the truck lands on its front wheels when I'm lucky, sometimes on the bumper or front hood). I'll move them around tonight and see if it tends to backflip a bit more.

RC Racer
    Would I really notice a difference between a 25C and a 50C?

25 or 35C are easy to find and available on short order for much much cheaper than 50-60-100C packs. I just wonder if it's really worth the extra cost to get higher C rating.

Would the difference between a 25C and 50C be that noticeable or would I be wiser to put the $ down for either more batteries or higher capacity ones?

Edit: Also, is it me or Traxxas batteries require Traxxas charger? They don't seem to have a balance port on them, at least not those available on amazon.ca.
    Last edited by magnosis; 03-24-2016 at 10:54 AM.

RC Champion
    You will most definitely see the difference, lack of punch, electronics heating up. I wouldnt use under 50c on a Emaxx. Let alone a truck this big.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by magnosis View Post
    Would I really notice a difference between a 25C and a 50C?

25 or 35C are easy to find and available on short order for much much cheaper than 50-60-100C packs. I just wonder if it's really worth the extra cost to get higher C rating.

Would the difference between a 25C and 50C be that noticeable or would I be wiser to put the $ down for either more batteries or higher capacity ones?

Edit: Also, is it me or Traxxas batteries require Traxxas charger? They don't seem to have a balance port on them, at least not those available on amazon.ca.

I just picked up some 60c 5800mah 3s lipos. I'll pick up some better 4s down the line when my xmaxx is ready to handle it on a daily basis. Trust us, you'll always want the highest "C" rating you can afford.

Yes, Traxxas batteries equipped with the "ID" terminals require a specific charger which as of now only Traxxas makes. There are ways around that though.

RC Racer
    Electronics heating up? Really? Traxxas only makes 25C's, I would hope the electronics could handle it just fine. I've ordered some 35C 3S because I'm too impatient waiting for my SMCs 60C 7200mAh. Maybe I should cancel that order, better waiting another week or two than being disappointed forever down the road. What do you think? I only have 2 batteries now and the low run time is killing me :x

Would a 2S 50C pack as much punch as a 3S 25C?

RC Champion
    Yes really your car is going to ask for more amps then the batteries will able to supply, and when the voltage fluctuates because of this your truck will not run efficiently which will cause heat and lack of performance. Buying a 800$ truck and then buying subpar packs is the equivalent of getting the cheap Chinese tires for a sports car.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnosis View Post
    Electronics heating up? Really? Traxxas only makes 25C's, I would hope the electronics could handle it just fine. I've ordered some 35C 3S because I'm too impatient waiting for my SMCs 60C 7200mAh. Maybe I should cancel that order, better waiting another week or two than being disappointed forever down the road. What do you think? I only have 2 batteries now and the low run time is killing me :x

Would a 2S 50C pack as much punch as a 3S 25C?
    The correct-sized Traxxas battery packs will work in Traxxas vehicles.

RC Racer
    @Jakey and @Apex you seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Traxxas are fine on one side, low C Rating (e.g. Traxxas) is bad on the other.

Lots of people using Traxxas. Even Traxxas designed and recommend their own. And I'm told that this will create problems. I am even more confused than I was before asking lol. Welcome to the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing
    Buying a 800$ truck and then buying subpar packs is the equivalent of getting the cheap Chinese tires for a sports car.
    Tru dat. And buying a 800$ truck and spending 800$ on batteries is like buying a Volkswagen and putting F1 rubbers on it

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, the 3s 40c and up lipo supply is severely lacking right now. It's all in stock until you get to the 5ah packs.

RC poster
    I've been running SPC 3s 50C 5000mah as they are the packs that I use in my ERBE when I go 6S which is not very often. SPC makes a 3s 50C 8200mah and they are in stock. These will probably be the next packs I order.
    X Maxx ERBE MERV

RC Champion
    The c rating is the amperage that the battery is going to be able to supply. The higher the number the higher the performance. Also on systems and rcs that demand high amperage it is best to go with what you need vs what you can get by with. Also a battery with a higher c rating is more likely to last, rather then a low c rating pack getting taxed to death. If you don't believe me the data is out there. Just google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    The c rating is the amperage that the battery is going to be able to supply. The higher the number the higher the performance. Also on systems and rcs that demand high amperage it is best to go with what you need vs what you can get by with. Also a battery with a higher c rating is more likely to last, rather then a low c rating pack getting taxed to death. If you don't believe me the data is out there. Just google it.
    I agree with this, dont buy batteries that get taxed close to its maximum for youre usecase.
    Generally speaking higher C rating and or higher MAH capacity will be better.

I find the Traxxas 3s 5000 MAH ID batteries to be a bit on the weak side for the xmaax, i would go for the 6400 or 8400 batteries.

RC Competitor
    are you running stock gearing?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZMAN1974 View Post
    are you running stock gearing?

My truck isn't even here yet sadly. But i will probably run the 18/54. Or whatever most people are running with the stock setup.

RC Qualifier
    Kershaw 14.8V 8000mah 45C

RC Competitor
    I run Traxxas 3s 5000. I have 2 sets. Get about 20 min out of one set, this works perfect for me, If I want to run it again, it gets a chance to cool down, sometimes on the bigger packs I have found with other vehicles, I might not want to run for 45 min at a time, or I'll break before the batteries run out, 2 sets of 5000 work great.!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DirTyy View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. Can I charge these with the traxxas dual Es peak id charger? And I will also have to buy adapters right? Thanks.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloSRT8 View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. Can I charge these with the traxxas dual Es peak id charger? And I will also have to buy adapters right? Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure you can buy smc packs with traxxas connectors. Check their website.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast