Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Racer
    I work in Ottawa (Ontario,Canada) but live across the river near Gatineau (Quebec).

My first (and only set in my possession) is a pair of square Venom packs, 2S/60C/5600. It only required 20 minutes of hacking to fit them tightly in the battery compartments. Got em for 60$ cash (about 45$USD)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by magnosis View Post
    I don't think anyone said or suggested it was the whole story but thanks for pitching in.

Assumptions aside, may I ask what are you running for batteries in your XMaxx?
    I run 3s 5000mah 50c batteries. I have two sets, I charge in parallel so they charge all at once, and I get over an hour of run time typically out of those two sets.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDerpz View Post
    Actually, it is. You even go on to prove that in your statement.

Just because the C rating on say, a 10000mah battery, doesn't have to be as high as on a 3000mah battery pack to achieve a equal amperage discharge rate doesn't mean it's not something to place in the forefront when making a decision to buy a battery pack.

There are many benefits in buying a high discharge rated battery even when your application doesn't require it but no one here claimed it's an absolute must in any event.
    C rating isn't the whole story. You have to include capacity in your decision. Capacity is just as important as C rating. You want higher C rating on lower capacity packs, and you can get away with a little less C rating as your capacity increases.

Trust me, I understand the concept of over-engineering. I have been building computers for twenty years and you do the same with power supplies. You get more power supply than you need so that you get a higher quality product and longer life out of it. That comes at a price though, and you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get a good product that will do what you need.

If your truck only pulls 130 amps average, a 200 amp battery will be more than enough to handle the peaks that truck might hit under load. I was just trying to explain how C rating relates to capacity and why you do not need a 75C 10,000mah battery. The Traxxas 5000mah 25C battery is enough to run the truck, but it is right on the edge of what the truck actually needs. A battery with double or triple C rating is good, but not required. I have 5000mah 50C packs because that was all that SPC had available in that capacity. I would gladly take a 30-40C battery or even the Traxxas 25C, but only because TRX under rates their batteries a bit and stand behind them if they fail early.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoknight View Post
    C rating isn't the whole story. You have to include capacity in your decision. Capacity is just as important as C rating. You want higher C rating on lower capacity packs, and you can get away with a little less C rating as your capacity increases.

Trust me, I understand the concept of over-engineering. I have been building computers for twenty years and you do the same with power supplies. You get more power supply than you need so that you get a higher quality product and longer life out of it. That comes at a price though, and you don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get a good product that will do what you need.

If your truck only pulls 130 amps average, a 200 amp battery will be more than enough to handle the peaks that truck might hit under load. I was just trying to explain how C rating relates to capacity and why you do not need a 75C 10,000mah battery. The Traxxas 5000mah 25C battery is enough to run the truck, but it is right on the edge of what the truck actually needs. A battery with double or triple C rating is good, but not required. I have 5000mah 50C packs because that was all that SPC had available in that capacity. I would gladly take a 30-40C battery or even the Traxxas 25C, but only because TRX under rates their batteries a bit and stand behind them if they fail early.
    But who here is running packs with that capacity? I would suggest that most are running 5000-7200 mah packs. In that range of a pack I would still argue you would want a 50c or higher pack, it's just going to perform better for longer. I've seen it before in other monster trucks, and my 4wd short course trucks, and in dirt oval. I don't mean to sound ignorant, its just personal experience. You can run 25c packs all you want. I will get better performance from a 50c plus pack.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Racer
    it is right on the edge of what the truck actually needs.
    Do you know what it actually is? How much Amps do the VXL-6 draw (continuous & peak)?

FWIW here's how my two sets compare:

a) 2S/7.4V/60C/5600mAh can safely draw 336Amps continuously @ 7.4V = 2,486W power
    Less speed (lower voltage) but more torque (higher Amp output) and more sustainability (higher power output).

b) 3S/11.1V/35C/5000mAh can safely draw 175Amps continuously @ 11.1V = 1,943W power
    More speed (higher voltage) less torque (lower Amp output) less sustainability (lower power output)

Since I can't put all the torque down to the ground anyways (it spins a lot, would require more weight or smooth surface + sticky tires) I figured it was worth sacrificing torque for speed. That's just me, I live in the countryside, driving mostly on dirt mud and snow at the moment.

This is what I've come to understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

RC Racer
    Time for more n00b questions!

- Beside feel to the touch, is there any difference between Hard Case and Soft Case packs?

- Does anyone have experience / feedback on Bias and/or Onyx brands? LHS carries them. I have seen Bias on amazon I think they are made by Venom but I'm not sure if they are cheap knock-offs or whatnot.

- What other brand do you like beside those mentioned above? (Traxxas, SMC, SPC, MaxAmps, Venom, Trackpower, Lectron)

RC Champion
    Time for more n00b questions!

- Beside feel to the touch, is there any difference between Hard Case and Soft Case packs?

- Does anyone have experience / feedback on Bias and/or Onyx brands? LHS carries them. I have seen Bias on amazon I think they are made by Venom but I'm not sure if they are cheap knock-offs or whatnot.

- What other brand do you like beside those mentioned above? (Traxxas, SMC, SPC, MaxAmps, Venom, Trackpower, Lectron)
    The difference between the soft and hard case is one is soft and one is hard

RC Champion
    I prefer trakpower, trinity, smc, spc in that order. Hardcase lipos are safer as its less likely the cells get deformed in a crash. Because if the cells get damaged the battery could ignite.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    Do you know what it actually is? How much Amps do the VXL-6 draw (continuous & peak)?
    I seem to remember someone posting logs of an aftermarket ESC with stock motor and gearing showing amp draw was averaging between 100-130 and peaking at less than 200. It was a post in this forum. I can try to dig it up. It was early February I think.

RC Racer
    I seem to remember someone posting logs of an aftermarket ESC with stock motor and gearing showing amp draw was averaging between 100-130 and peaking at less than 200. It was a post in this forum. I can try to dig it up. It was early February I think.
    I recall reading on this forum someone posted that they were pulling 195 amps according to their log. I can't find it, don't recall what thread it was in.

RC Racer
    I recall reading on this forum someone posted that they were pulling 195 amps according to their log. I can't find it, don't recall what thread it was in.
    There's got to be a Traxxas rep on these forums we can shout out to, ya? They should be able to provide that number.

Unless, wait... is this solely dependant on the ESC (i.e. does the ESC max out at a certain point) or does it also depend on the motor, gearing, throttle, torque applied, load, etc?

RC Racer
    There's got to be a Traxxas rep on these forums we can shout out to, ya? They should be able to provide that number.
    I should note that the information on amp draw was based off the Castle XLX ESC.

Unless, wait... is this solely dependant on the ESC (i.e. does the ESC max out at a certain point) or does it also depend on the motor, gearing, throttle, torque applied, load, etc?
    While the motor would have a specified rating, ultimately amp draw is based on all those factors you mentioned. The XMaxx is a power hungry rig but that's to be expected given the size and weight. I guess those that only stuck to 1/10th or 1/8th (4s in particular) might find it crazy. This truck is an animal!

RC Racer
    ... that's why I bought it I just wanted the biggest meanest electric-powered RC truck money could buy (and mass produced so I could easily find spare parts).

I wasn't prepared to spend as much on batteries as I did on the truck, which is why I ask so many questions here o_O

RC Competitor
    195 was the max amp draw hard acceleration from dead stop is what I remember. Which is why I said less than 200 amps peak. I really doubt the truck pulls 200 amps while rolling.

RC Competitor
    Here is the only log I could find easily. It shows an 8S rig on a 2028 motor pulling less than 200 amps at peak and averaging between 100 and 150 amps rolling. A bit of apples and oranges, but I am pretty sure this is the log I was recalling.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6172221

RC Qualifier
    That was me. I'm pulling 195 amps peak running the castle xlx, leopard 1340, 32t pinion/54t spur on 6s. I also pulled about the same running the castle 2028.

RC Competitor
    Sounds like a pretty good case to me. Thanks for chiming in, Bigtim.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtim1985 View Post
    That was me. I'm pulling 195 amps peak running the castle xlx, leopard 1340, 32t pinion/54t spur on 6s. I also pulled about the same running the castle 2028.
    That's who it was!

RC Racer
    Awesome info, thanks!!

Can we infer that, for a 3S 5000mAh pack, there'd be little to no benefits (for the XMaxx) having a C rating beyond 40?

I understand that the batteries will better hold voltage under load with higher C ratings, but as far as power delivered to the wheels, there'd be no significant gain in spending $ on a 60-100C pack // might as well invest on an ESC and Motor instead. Ya?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome info, thanks!!

Can we infer that, for a 3S 5000mAh pack, there'd be little to no benefits (for the XMaxx) having a C rating beyond 40?
    If the higher C-rated pack relates to lower cell IR's - than there are definite benefits.

I understand that the batteries will better hold voltage under load with higher C ratings, but as far as power delivered to the wheels, there'd be no significant gain in spending $ on a 60-100C pack // might as well invest on an ESC and Motor instead. Ya?
    Power (Watts) = Volts x Amps
    So for any given Amp discharge, if the battery pack voltage is higher there is more power available for the motor to do work. Lower cell resistance is always a win-win with respect to vehicle performance.

RC Racer
    Here are the foam pads I made to fit the square battery packs. It's far from clean but it gets the job done.
    Q: is a bad to put insulation foam on top of batteries, for temperature?

This is with the conventional batteries in place:

RC Qualifier
    I love my spc lipos they have tons of power they are fast and pretty cheap as for price but not quality.

RC poster
    I bought my Xmaxx a few weeks ago, ran fine for the first two charges then she shuts down after 10 minutes runtime and ESC module flashes red. I'm running two Lectron Pro 6S 22.2 volt 5200mAh 50C LiPo Battery 6S5200-50.

Guessing maybe they are not 100% compatible with my ESC unit? If I damaged it I'm going to go with the Ezrun MAX6 ESC (3-8S)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf1 View Post
    I bought my Xmaxx a few weeks ago, ran fine for the first two charges then she shuts down after 10 minutes runtime and ESC module flashes red. I'm running two Lectron Pro 6S 22.2 volt 5200mAh 50C LiPo Battery 6S5200-50.

Guessing maybe they are not 100% compatible with my ESC unit? If I damaged it I'm going to go with the Ezrun MAX6 ESC (3-8S)
    I am running 8s SMC 5200 mah 70C lipos and only getting about 10-15min runtime but that's mostly with full throttle and my gearing is 23/46 and running with Max5 esc stock motor. And ya flashing esc red is your lvc.

RC Racer

Wait, are you running two 6S packs or two 3s packs?
    I don't think that esc is built for 12S / 44.4v

RC poster
    Running two...that's what they recommended at the store. Taking it back today to see how we're going to handle it.

RC Champion

Whats every one running for batteries in these?

Wait, are you running two 6S packs or two 3s packs?
    I don't think that esc is built for 12S / 44.4v
    I really hope that he means 2 3s..or he'll set that truck on fireeee!!!!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-03-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Racer
    Running two...that's what they recommended at the store. Taking it back today to see how we're going to handle it.
    Two what? Two 3S or Two 6S?

RC Enthusiast
    I use Venom 20C 3S 6400mAh 11.1 LiPO Battery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-20C-3S...4AAOSw37tWAw4b

they are good but I'm not sure what is the difference that 20C or more can make?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doha787 View Post
    I'm not sure what is the difference that 20C or more can make?
    This has been discussed here. Scroll up to post # 83 - 85
    Last edited by magnosis; 05-03-2016 at 01:38 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Doha787 View Post
    I use Venom 20C 3S 6400mAh 11.1 LiPO Battery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-20C-3S...4AAOSw37tWAw4b

they are good but I'm not sure what is the difference that 20C or more can make?
    Isn't the minimum is 25Cor higher.

RC Enthusiast
    This has been discussed here. Scroll up to post # 83 - 85
    that means I have 128A,

Is that a high power batt, or just normal?

Today i will collect a package with 2 of these
    http://stockholm.reservdelsrc.com/pr...25c-trx-x-maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    Seems like the 3s lipo market is lacking these days. I cant find a traxxas pack over 25c. There are some dynamite packs out there I am considering. And some very expensive trinity packs. But the usual guys I go to either smc or spc are out of stock. So what are you guys all running?
    I am running Traxxas 5000 MAH 3 cell 25C Lipo's I have 4 total pack's I also use the same packs in my XO-1... LOVE-EM Good Packs.... I also have a set of Venom 5000MAH 3 cell 50C Hard case Packs but I don't like the adaptor plug setup there hard to unplug from the truck...SO I dont run them that much...

Quote Originally Posted by grave75 View Post
    I am running Traxxas 5000 MAH 3 cell 25C Lipo's I have 4 total pack's I also use the same packs in my XO-1... LOVE-EM Good Packs.... I also have a set of Venom 5000MAH 3 cell 50C Hard case Packs but I don't like the adaptor plug setup there hard to unplug from the truck...SO I dont run them that much...
    be careful, me and others here in forum have gotten our Traxxas 5000 MAH 3 cell 25C Lipo's puffed/swollen. Dont gear up the X-Maax with these batteries.

I just had these delivered yesterday. I will be using them with my xlx setup. Has anybody had any experience with them?
    I have been using venom 5000 3cell 50c

*This brand name as well as the site it can be purchased from (as well as the other brands for sale there) are banned from being mentioned here in Traxxas forums.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-04-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I just had these delivered yesterday. I will be using them with my xlx setup. Has anybody had any experience with them?
    I have been using venom 5000 3cell 50c
    Looks like very good packs, you gonna use those and the venom packs?
    The 5000 mah packs (My Traxxas 3s 5000 mah 25c ID batteries) doesnt give long runtimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Looks like very good packs, you gonna use those and the venom packs?
    The 5000 mah packs (My Traxxas 3s 5000 mah 25c ID batteries) doesnt give long runtimes.
    Hi cazrack, Yes I plan on using the venom packs as well. I spoke to a castle tech before I purchased the Momba xl X. He told me that I should not use the Traxxas 3S 25c ID packs for the xl X. He said they are fine for the X maxx stock setup but the xl X needs a minimum of 40c. I use the two sets of traxxas packs for my e revo

RC poster
    I'm running two Lectron Pro 6S 22.2 volt 5200mAh 50C LiPo Battery 6S5200-50.

I'm running two Lectron Pro 6S 22.2 volt 5200mAh 50C LiPo Battery 6S5200-50.
    you running 12S?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast