Thread: Fpv

RC Racer

Fpv

Anyone FPVing their traxxas surface vehicles? I'm starting to get interested in quadcopters but the high price of fpv gear has me looking for additional ways to use it. Everyone says flying is way better fpv so why not driving too, right?? I have a couple pretty gnarly trucks that I think would be awesome to run that way.

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    The ground is cool but there will be lots of shaking and it might be hard to use nixhex32 hs done it I would pm him and ask him how it went.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

Quote Originally Posted by jcpede View Post
    The ground is cool but there will be lots of shaking and it might be hard to use nixhex32 hs done it I would pm him and ask him how it went.
    That would really be for slower RCs like the Summit and Telly. Trying to FPV a fast offroad RC would be almost impossible, to say nothing about making the operator sick. If the fast RC was on pavement, there might be a chance.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have used my FPV on a E-maxx in a field it's kinda like using a VR headset but in reality.
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

I think it would be cool to have an fpv rally racing group. Just imagine a half mile long rally course and having a buddy watching and co-driving!
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

I always wanted to do this but ive ruled it personally impractical.

Using 5.8ghz transmission frequency, you would get lots of interference driving on the ground as every little object will block the signal.

To mitigate this you could use lower frequencies for the video link but unless you use 2.4ghz (which interferes with your 2.4 radio) you would likely need a ham license to operate legally, depending on which frequency and where you live.

Soo for now im leaving all the fpv goodness with my quad.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    Soo for now im leaving all the fpv goodness with my quad.
    Details on your setup? Fpv gear and quad?

My quad is a spedix s250. It was the cheapest option that my LHS supports.

Camera is a Run Cam pz0420m.
    Video Tx is a lumenier tx5g6r
    Antennas are generic circular polarized from LHS
    Goggles are fat shark teleporters
    These are the only things (along with a power source) you need to run an fpv system.

My power comes from an open 12v regulated port on my power distribution board. You would have to find another way to supply regulated power. You could hook up a regulator / filter to your existing battery supply or find a video transmitter that has a built-in regulator and filter.

Those cameras and transmitters are great and relatively cheap. The goggles are the expensive part. I got the cheapest set and I'm regretting it. I used a friends skyzone goggles and was blown away by the difference in quality.

You dont have to use goggles though. In fact there are benefits to using a screen, like the flexibility you have with your video Rx and antennas and stuff.
    Last edited by MaXXL; 03-26-2016 at 06:12 PM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Racer
    Thanks. I'm building a <250g quad and am baulking on FPV for now because i don't really like any of the options. Fatshark stuff seems underwhelming and expensive and the formfactor of headplay is silly and coming on a year old. I think I'm going to fly line of sight for a little while and see what boils up.