Thread: ring and pinion

RC Qualifier

ring and pinion

so blew my ring and pinion the other day big surprise right!? anyways was scrolling through fleebay and saw a hot racing spiral diff gear set has anyone used them? are they any stronger? link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Summ...MAAOSw37tWD~ez
    I love the smell of nitro in the morning

RC Qualifier
    Quieter and theoretically capable of handling more power, although I have seen debate about this (because more tooth surface area is in contact at one time).

The down sides, they will create more lateral thrust against the bearings due to the design which could shorten bearing life. If they become dry, could add more friction and possible biding to your driveline (because more surface area is in contact at one time).

Those are generalities on my part, I have not ran the gears you are referencing. I suspect the real reason straight cut gears are used is due to cost, though I can imagine a set of bone dry helical cuts eating themselves after they have slung off the grease. Remember in auto motive applications helical cut R&P are sitting in a bath of oil.
    Last edited by elDax; 03-20-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

RC Qualifier
    true did not think about it in that aspect was wanting someine to comment their experience if anyone has used them

RC Racer
    I've been dealing with this issue for a good 4 years, after going brushless. I place the order tonight. I'll post some results when I receive them.

I've sold them through my LHS, and they're great. I know of at least 3 people running them on 6s with big tires like mudslingers with no issues. Heck my coworker's brushless Summit literally doesn't have a slipper clutch (he deleted it) and they've held up great over the last 3-4 months.

Let us know what you think!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 03-20-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Qualifier
    sounds like what i will be getting then are you guys shimming them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jodowii2 View Post
    sounds like what i will be getting then are you guys shimming them as well?
    None of them are shimmed that I know of; all of them are installed just as the stock parts would be.

RC Racer
    Good to hear, hadn't seen any good reviews so I'm waiting to order a set for the front. Are they running the hr diff cups as well?

Quote Originally Posted by roachtron View Post
    Good to hear, hadn't seen any good reviews so I'm waiting to order a set for the front. Are they running the hr diff cups as well?
    They're running the stock diff cups, the aluminum ones aren't so great, the outer bushing area where the diff output shaft rides on wears out rather quick, faster than the plastic. That and none of them have had any issues with the stock diff cup.

RC Racer
    Interesting I may have went overboard in that case. I've always shredded the ring/pinion. Seen alot of comments about the spider gears breaking though supposedly cause by the cup.
    Last edited by roachtron; 03-21-2016 at 12:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    well i got on here to fully bash the HR spiral cut gears i got mine today and installed it ran 10 or 15 minutes just fine and it started clicking and bam before i knew it it was out just tore it apart and come to find out my inner pinion bearing took a dump!!!!!! well that was a nice 38 bucks but i did like the quality of it and before the pinion went out it took a beating on 4s with the momba monster 2 on 4 s with a 2200kv geared 18/65 standing backflips with ease guess i need to get some quality bearings. whats the bearings to get boca?

RC Racer
    Standing back flips with a summit? Wow I thought I was hard on my truck. Was wishing this was the answer I guess it's not totally bulletproof. If I was getting bearings and had some cash to spare I'd just get a set from avid for $40 and have plenty of spares.

RC Racer
    We're you running the diff cups along with the gears?

RC Qualifier
    stock plastic diff cups

RC Racer
    I recently just installed avid bearings in my diffs and wheel bearings due to so many ruined ring gears from bad pinion bearings I also got the avid grease and greased all the bearings on my truck
    Xmaxx, Summit, Villain ex, Aton, Alias, 4 tec 2.0

RC Racer
    Boom Racing offers a Helical gear now for about half the cost as Hot Racing. Any updates/reviews on the helical gears?
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC Racer
    Well I received mine and destroyed it. It lasted 2 sets of batteries before this happened to the diff case. The ring gear is still fine but the pinion shredded. I rebuilt today with the hot racing aluminum diff case as well as shimming the diff. This diff is turning into that pit I throw money into, hopefully it holds up.

RC Racer
    If this doesn't hold I think I am going to part out my summit.

RC Racer
    Any updates
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole