RC Enthusiast

Picked up a cheap Pede and have a few questions. Help with upgrades please.

I have a custom slash platinum but am brand new to stampedes. I needed something to race my kids around the yard in their 2wd monster trucks and they are obviously no match for the slash, so I grabbed this for 100. It didn't have more than some dust on the body, any scratches or dirt in the pic is from me. The only problem I found is the previious owner switched the pinion and didn't properly set the mesh and chewed the spur a little.

So I want to keep it mostly stock for now but a few things need addressed. What upgrades are recommended? I've got a wheelie bar rear bumper and a tbone front bumper on the way. The biggest issue I have is the shocks are not smooth. What are most of you running? Did I read somewhere the gtr shocks work? I love my modded piston gtrs.

Another question I have is with the phillips head screws. Is it because mine is a couple years old or do all stampedes not use hex hardware? My model number is 36054. Can I swap it over with a hardware kit?

Any other recommendations are welcome. Possibly tires... although I want some classic looking monster truck tires to build it into either gravedigger or a mad max looking monster truck car.

Only VXL models come with hex screws. Best upgrades, bearings, aluminum castor blocks, the rest upgrade as they break or as you wish.
    Badlands are great in grass and dirt.
    If you want to replace the screws check out Tony's screws. They are great.
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 03-21-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    Strc king pins in castor blocks
    Adjustable camberlinks
    Bearings in wheels
    Traxxas bigbores
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

Bearings,
    Traxxas big bores,
    Bearings,
    RPM anything that breaks,
    Bearings,
    Lipo,
    Oh and did I mention bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooky78 View Post
    Bearings,
    Traxxas big bores,
    Bearings,
    RPM anything that breaks,
    Bearings,
    Lipo,
    Oh and did I mention bearings?
    I would buy the GTR shocks the ones for the slash 4x4 work great on the stampede http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products...-volume-shocks
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_summit757 View Post
    I would buy the GTR shocks the ones for the slash 4x4 work great on the stampede http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/products...-volume-shocks
    SOLD OUT! as usual everyone wants them.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Proline protrac kit made a world of difference for me. Run it till it breaks then up grade.

RC Competitor
    Hey there,

Well you said you have an upgraded slash premium and the two trucks are very similar, apart form the chassis and the steering set up. On stampedes the front corners tend to be a bit weak, the steering block and pin and the hub carriers. I upgraded those once they broke. Also bearings all around. If you really just want something to drive around I suggest that you just upgrade as you break. Tires maybe. But I don't think you need too much more. You know what to do on the slash, most of the same you'd want to do on your pede.

Have a good time!!
    -Kyle
    It's fast, expensive, & off limits! :)

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the advice. I don't know how I missed this thing doesn't have bearings. I pulled the wheels to clean it and noticed the color didn't look right. What I thought was dirty bearings is brass bushings. So that just became first priority.

I threw a wheelie bar on the other day and what a world of difference, I can actually let the kids drive it without ending up on its lid. Such a fun truck. So different from the slash. Now I want a 4wd too.

The wheelie bar is a nice motor guard by the way. I also have it zip tied so that it doesn not move arround.

I like the strc hinge pins as stated already and camber links if they are not already in....much stronger then the aluminum ones on the pedes. Changed all my screws to the camber and steering links to be locked with a lock nut.

If the caster blocks are plastc, do get aluminum ones, the carriers not so bad, only as they break and in aluminum also it becomes more or less bulletproof.
    Live life to the fullest