Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    NICE! I wish I had the 36 gallon tank. I have weather techs and have no complaints, but I learned about "Maxliner" matts after buying mine. At one time they were a good bit cheaper, and I haven't read a bad review yet.

I've found that my truck performs very well off road for being on road tires with the locker and 4wd.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Well, it has been just over a week and still liking it. I did notice that the gas mileage sucked until it hit around 500 miles or so. From what I have been able to research on it, the gas mileage will fluctuate while the motor is being broken in, and really doesn't settle out until after 3000 miles or so.

I do wish I could rearrange the controls a little bit, but for the most part like them better than those that were in my XTerra. It is nice having in-dash navigation, plus I like having a digital speedometer. Plus, it has an outside thermometer, something my XTerra did not have, which, for the kind of vehicle the Xterra is, I find very odd.

Funny story...

My F-150 came with cheesy cloth floor mats, so I did some searching around and found a 4 Wheel Parts store locally that had Weather Tech mats in stock. It was the end of the day last Thursday when I went to pick them up, and there were only three other customers there, so the place was pretty quite.

So, I am looking at their air suspension offerings and I overhear one of the counter guys talking to a customer on the phone. The counter guy is explaining that they installed the wrong suspension kit on the customers Jeep, the customer wanted a 2" chassis lift, and they somehow mistakenly installed a 3" suspension lift. Apparently the customer did not notice the wrong lift when he drove his Jeep away. The counter guy was explaining to the customer that the lift he bought was around $300 with labor, and the lift they put on was around $800 before labor, and the counter guy was wanting the customer to bring the Jeep back in so they could "make it right". Then the conversation turned and the counter guy was telling the customer that he didn't think the shocks they put on would void the factory warranty, but he was not sure about the rest of the lift kit. About this time I had paid for my mats and was going out the door.

I know this kind of stuff happens, but I have never heard of a place like this making such a big mistake. I am wondering what exactly the counter guy meant by "make it right", where they going to put the chassis lift on for free, try to get the customer to pay the difference, or do something in between. Of course there is the whole warranty issue they'd have to deal with. When I was first looking at the air suspension stuff I was thinking they I might have these guys install it, but now I am thinking that is is not such a good idea. On the other hand, if they screw up like this all of the time I have a good chance of dropping off my F-150 and them giving my back a Platinum F-350...

Anyways, back to the truck. I think the first major thing I am going to do to is to install a bed cover that I can haul my ATVs on. After that will likely be air suspension. I also want to install a multi-band radio that can transmit on CB and ham radio frequencies.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Well, it has been just over a week and still liking it. I did notice that the gas mileage sucked until it hit around 500 miles or so. From what I have been able to research on it, the gas mileage will fluctuate while the motor is being broken in, and really doesn't settle out until after 3000 miles or so.

I do wish I could rearrange the controls a little bit, but for the most part like them better than those that were in my XTerra. It is nice having in-dash navigation, plus I like having a digital speedometer. Plus, it has an outside thermometer, something my XTerra did not have, which, for the kind of vehicle the Xterra is, I find very odd.

Funny story...

My F-150 came with cheesy cloth floor mats, so I did some searching around and found a 4 Wheel Parts store locally that had Weather Tech mats in stock. It was the end of the day last Thursday when I went to pick them up, and there were only three other customers there, so the place was pretty quite.

So, I am looking at their air suspension offerings and I overhear one of the counter guys talking to a customer on the phone. The counter guy is explaining that they installed the wrong suspension kit on the customers Jeep, the customer wanted a 2" chassis lift, and they somehow mistakenly installed a 3" suspension lift. Apparently the customer did not notice the wrong lift when he drove his Jeep away. The counter guy was explaining to the customer that the lift he bought was around $300 with labor, and the lift they put on was around $800 before labor, and the counter guy was wanting the customer to bring the Jeep back in so they could "make it right". Then the conversation turned and the counter guy was telling the customer that he didn't think the shocks they put on would void the factory warranty, but he was not sure about the rest of the lift kit. About this time I had paid for my mats and was going out the door.

I know this kind of stuff happens, but I have never heard of a place like this making such a big mistake. I am wondering what exactly the counter guy meant by "make it right", where they going to put the chassis lift on for free, try to get the customer to pay the difference, or do something in between. Of course there is the whole warranty issue they'd have to deal with. When I was first looking at the air suspension stuff I was thinking they I might have these guys install it, but now I am thinking that is is not such a good idea. On the other hand, if they screw up like this all of the time I have a good chance of dropping off my F-150 and them giving my back a Platinum F-350...

Anyways, back to the truck. I think the first major thing I am going to do to is to install a bed cover that I can haul my ATVs on. After that will likely be air suspension. I also want to install a multi-band radio that can transmit on CB and ham radio frequencies.
    My mileage got better little by little until around 5000 miles. My last tank was 23, and I'm around 22 over the last 2500 miles.

I'm assuming you're talking about a Diamondback ATV carrier bed cover. I dream of owning one of those some day.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 02-24-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    My mileage got better little by little until around 5000 miles. My last tank was 23, and I'm around 22 over the last 2500 miles.
    Good to know. To back up what the computer is calculating I am also logging my gas mileage on a phone app, to see how they compare.

I'm assuming you're talking about a Diamondback ATV carrier bed cover. I dream of owning one of those some day.
    Yup, this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUPnilOUR0

I would like to get a smaller toy hauler (8000-9000lbs fully loaded), haul one of my ATVs there, and the other on the bed. Using the extender, I can haul both ATVs short distances from the campground to the ATV trail head.

To me, it seems better/safer to put the back one on first.

For my truck the whole setup would be around $2500, which isn't bad, but it will take a GIANT bight out of my RC budget.

I'm a little more limited to about 8000 lbs max towing with the 2.7, but we want to get a camper some day. No you hauler for me though. I've never gone anywhere I needed the 4wheeler and a camper at the same time.

My goal is to be able to go spend a few days at places like Devil's Tower, set up camp with the RV, then ride my ATVs around the local ATV trails. My dad lives down in the Arizona desert and we go down to see him every Thanksgiving, instead of staying at a hotel I would love to just boon dock out in the desert and venture around with my quads.

As equipped, my F-150 is rated to 13,200 lbs, I have no plans at all of towing anywhere near that much, and will limit my gross vehicle wait to 9000 lbs, and I would prefer the trailer to be < 8000 lbs. Between all of the snowbirders that live up here, and those that live near my dad, I am hoping I can find a good deal on what I am looking for. I am watching a ton of YouTube videos on RVs, RVing, and buying used RVs.

Coming up on 60,000 miles now, and the truck hasn't missed a beat. I love it, the wife loves it, my daughter loves it. She's always asking to go ride in Daddy's truck. The 4wd system on this truck is fantastic. I get a solid 22mpg daily and more on trips. The 2.7 has not disappointed.

I tow with it some. The best test was when I drove to Ohio from SC to haul my brother's broken down 4 door Dakota home when he graduated college. I had his V8 swapped Dakota, all his belongings in the cab of both trucks,the bed of the Dakota was full of parts from the swap,and the bed of my truck was full of emergency gear just in case I had trouble on the trip. I work for a trucking company, and when I got home scaled the load. Gross combined was 12,600 lbs, which puts the load around 7500. The truck hauled it from Ohio extremely well.

I do wish I had an '18, with dual injection and the 10 speed transmission. Which equate to more power, better mileage, and more towing capacity. Not enough to take on 2+ years worth of payments again though.

Nice! I'm surprised on the mpg you guys are getting on those trucks. I'm only 16, so I don't have a truck anywhere as nice as you guys. lol. I'll be driving my Dads 2006 GMC Yukon XL once I get my license.

One thing my Dads always been worried about with me wanting a Pickup is that it'll be horrendous in the snow. Thoughts?
    We rented a 2017 and 2016 F-150 while in Regina Saskatchewan a while back and they handled good in the snow, just you didn't want to go too fast because the tail liked to slide out a couple times.

It made my Dad consider a 2016 Ford F-150 with the V6 Ecoboost. It got really good mpg and was a beautiful truck, but he didn't get it. He ended up getting a 2018 Kia Stinger GT instead a while ago. For anyone who follows the car world, I'm sure you'll know it has a Twin Turbo V6 giving the Car 365 hp. It'll kick butt against any Mustang.

But getting back to the trucks, I'm actually surprised you guys went with the ecoboosts. (No offense meant) I have looked into the ecoboosts and heard a lot of really good reviews about them. I've always wanted the V8 though because in my mind, nothing can beat the raw power of a V8. But it sounds like the Twin turbo V6 ecoboost is really taking over.

But anyway, as I said before, I'm 16 and by NO means will be buying a new Truck anytime soon.

And although I absolutely love the new Ford F-150s, I'm more of a Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Elevation guy.
    Last edited by Traxxas9008; 09-06-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Well, the 3.5 has nearly as much hp as the 5.0 and a good bit more torque, and a lot more usable power under the curve. The 2.7 has the same amount of peak torque as the 5.0 but at many fewer rpms. It falls short by quite a few hp, but that's at many rpms. It just depends on what you do with the truck and where you like the power delivery I guess. The 5.0 v8 is a fine engine for a half ton truck, but I prefer the feel of the torque hitting hard down low, as opposed to all the top end power and the peaky power band. The twin turbo 3.5 has the higher tow capacity ratings over the 5.0 for a reason. Being turbocharged, they perform and tow much like a diesel. The 5.0 really has to rev to make power. The new 10 speed transmission benefits it nicely.

The truck in your picture looks very nice. I took an '87 f250 when I was 16 that was not nearly as nice as that. Still have it, actually. The 460 V8 under the hood has less power than this 2.7. lol

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 09-06-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Well, my first truck will not be as nice as that GMC in the picture. Its my Dads Truck and so far, he isn't leaning into letting me buying it. lol. In fact, my first car will probably be like over 12 years old.

But anyway, that sounds really good about the twin turbo 3.5. Its surprising actually. I thought the V6 was dying, but it seems to me that the V8 is actually dying with the Pickups. But either way, I love the sound of the V8 in my Dads GMC. Especially when I punch it off the start. (My Face when I do that. lol)
    Last edited by Traxxas9008; 09-06-2018 at 03:33 PM.

I love the sound of a V8 also, but I love more getting 23 mpg out of a truck that will also get to 60 in 5 seconds, or less with a boosted 4wd launch, and tow the things I need. Remove the turbos and it wouldn't even be considered.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    Nice! I'm surprised on the mpg you guys are getting on those trucks. I'm only 16, so I don't have a truck anywhere as nice as you guys. lol. I'll be driving my Dads 2006 GMC Yukon XL once I get my license.
    I would love to drive my dad's car when I get a license. He has a 2008 Dodge Magnum R/T 2WD (basically a Charger R/T Wagon). It makes good power, gets decent mileage, and has a high enough towing rating for our needs (a boat) and IMO it looks a whole lot better than any pickup. Personally when I get my license and buy a car/truck I would love to purchase a 1999 Ford Ranger with a single cab and short bed. It looks like a fun truck and the aftermarket support is huge on it. Plus you can buy a used one for pretty cheap.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    I would love to drive my dad's car when I get a license. He has a 2008 Dodge Magnum R/T 2WD (basically a Charger R/T Wagon). It makes good power, gets decent mileage, and has a high enough towing rating for our needs (a boat) and IMO it looks a whole lot better than any pickup. Personally when I get my license and buy a car/truck I would love to purchase a 1999 Ford Ranger with a single cab and short bed. It looks like a fun truck and the aftermarket support is huge on it. Plus you can buy a used one for pretty cheap.
    Ooh, I wouldn't mind a Ford Ranger myself. Except around where I live, finding a 4x4 Ford Ranger is like hunting for a pin in a hay stack. They are all 2wd. (Well, atleast at my price range. lol) Up here in BC, its hard to find a decent truck for under $4k.

I love the sound of a V8 also, but I love more getting 23 mpg out of a truck that will also get to 60 in 5 seconds, or less with a boosted 4wd launch, and tow the things I need. Remove the turbos and it wouldn't even be considered.

5 seconds? Wow. Thats quite the time for a pickup truck! And I completely understand the whole V6 Twin turbo. I'd take it too instead of the V8. But just as u said, strip the turbo, and I wouldn't even look at it. My Dad once owned a car with a V6 and it took something like 9 seconds to get to 60 mph. Mind you, it was a '02 Infiniti I30, and those things are big and heavy. lol.

The raptor has a lot of hp and torque, but they are slower than a regular f150 with the large tires and heavier truck.

https://youtu.be/79jydGfO1wg

With a brake boost it's much quicker, but I have to be in 4wd or it just blows the tires off. Still spins a fair bit just coming off idle in 2wd.

My brother has a 2wd 5.4 f150, and this truck is better in every aspect. His truck sounds better, but it stops there.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 09-08-2018 at 09:08 AM.

RC Champion
    Here's my old EcoBoost before I did the ADD, loved this truck and it worked so well offroad.

Had retrofit headlights to 6" lift and 35s on 20x10 wheels.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    very impressive. that thing wraps really hard

could you imagine what 16yr old you would say if you travelled back in time and told him what your 2.7 can do? lol
    That would be true if you went back and told ME at 16. Or even 25.

RC Qualifier
    Add me to the EcoBoost club. 18' 3.5 with the Max tow pkg. Love the EcoBoost. I pull a travel trailer and barely know it's there And If I want to have some fun I put the 10 speed in sport mode and she's quick.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Wow, those are all some nice Trucks. And Impressive time for 0-100.

RC Qualifier
    Ooh, I wouldn't mind a Ford Ranger myself. Except around where I live, finding a 4x4 Ford Ranger is like hunting for a pin in a hay stack. They are all 2wd. (Well, atleast at my price range. lol) Up here in BC, its hard to find a decent truck for under $4k.
    Man that price tag sucks. In Texas you could probably find a Ranger for under $1k (it'll run and that's about it). Personally I wouldn't mind a RWD ranger because it's lighter andnobody in the Dallas Metroplex does any real offroading anyways. Maybe an onroad build of a Ranger would be interesting. Maybe like this(Not my channel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBZ9xvE9-g
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Thatd be an interesting idea. But not for where I live. I live by some really good off roading spots and I'm set on an off-roading truck. Only problem is that all trucks under $4k have all been work trucks and have huge dents, or lights missing, or rusted completely and have over 350k kms. I don't mind a couple scratches or small dents, cause I can work on them myself, but its hard to find a decent truck.

RC Qualifier
    Thatd be an interesting idea. But not for where I live. I live by some really good off roading spots and I'm set on an off-roading truck. Only problem is that all trucks under $4k have all been work trucks and have huge dents, or lights missing, or rusted completely and have over 350k kms. I don't mind a couple scratches or small dents, cause I can work on them myself, but its hard to find a decent truck.
    There's always the option of a buying a cheap truck and making it a project. Cheap RWD Ranger + Bronco(?) 4WD system and a little fab and you have a 4x4 ranger (I'm sure there's more than that to it. There always is).
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    There's always the option of a buying a cheap truck and making it a project. Cheap RWD Ranger + Bronco(?) 4WD system and a little fab and you have a 4x4 ranger (I'm sure there's more than that to it. There always is).
    A bronco under $6k where I live? lol.
    Let me explain, lol. I live in B.C. near Vancouver. And Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Nothing where I live is cheap. I'd love to live somewhere where are 18 y/o car doesn't cost 3k.

But thats a great idea which I will actually keep in mind for someday.

I haven't seen a decent bronco under 6000 in years. I live in SC.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't seen a decent bronco under 6000 in years. I live in SC.

I don't truly search out for Broncos but I haven't seen any either. Just lots of cheap Rangers and lots of cheap parts for Rangers. And a couple Tacomas here in Texas.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

I did find one actually. $4,000 1988 Ford Bronco XLT with 340,000 kms on it. Must have something wrong with it tho.. lol.
    I've always wanted to own an old Ford Bronco or Chevy K-5 Blazer

Especially after I watched a top gear episode on them. ;P

I kinda like the ford bronco just a tad bit more...

**Both photos were found online

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Here's my old EcoBoost before I did the ADD, loved this truck and it worked so well offroad.

Had retrofit headlights to 6" lift and 35s on 20x10 wheels.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    Nice retrofits! Mini H1s or D2S?

I did mine last year with Mini H1s, Panamera shrouds and RGB halos. One of the best mods I've done to my Tundra, light output is amazing now.
    I broke it again . . . \_(ツ)_/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123