Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

So I might not be spending too much on RC for a while...2016 Ecoboost 150

My wife and I just had our first child, and the old '99 Powerstroke extended cab with 335,000 miles just wasn't gonna cut it much longer. The market now is such that new and low miles used aren't much different payment wise. So here we are.

My first vehicle with less than 200,000 miles. I kept my last one for 8 years. And, were it 4 door, would keep it till it quit. So I don't mind going new. I'll get the goody out of it! 2.7 twin turbo Ecoboost. A lot of options I've never even dreamed I'd have on a vehicle. Even though it's like buying a Slash every month, I can't wipe the smile off my face .
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    Good trucks. I'm on my 3rd, put 250,000 miles on the first 2. I'm jealous, you have a nice aluminum one, no rust...ever.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

So far, it's sweet! I really didn't wanna settle for the 2.7, but the only 3.5 they could get in my price range just was nowhere near as nice. 90% of the loads I tow are within the range of this one's capability, so I decided not to sacrifice the creature comforts every day for the once in a blue moon that I need to tow heavier.

And I'm finding that the 2.7 ain't too shabby.

RC Qualifier
    The 2.7 is not joke. Only grief you will get is from guys who don't understand forced injection.

I've had a 5.4, 3.5 Eco, and now a 5.0 Coyote...the Ecoboost was the most powerful of the three, hands down.

No Raptor no care.

Just kidding, very nice truck! I'm a Ford man and happy that my response truck is a '11 3.5L Ecoboost and once the twins kick in it moves. Plus it is nice and smooth at highway speeds.

Last edited by Double G; 03-27-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    The Super Derecho

Oh yeah, the wife and I love it. I also own an '87 f250 with a 460. When I need to haul loads that exceed the 150s legal limit, I can still look to old Betsy. I loved the '99, but the ex cab back seat was a joke. So I had to move on. I miss her a little . Zf 6 and some mild modding. She was fun.

I am loving this 'UN though. It is definitely smooth. Rides fantastic.

I'm a Ford fella too . That's what always put food on the table while I was growing up. In fact, the old 460 is the one that put it there.

RC Qualifier
    Princess, and princess doing her chores.

[IMG][/IMG]

Have I seen you on the ecoboost forum? I have a poor man's version of your boat. An 87 19' runabout with a 4.3 and a tower installed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Have I seen you on the ecoboost forum? I have a poor man's version of your boat. An 87 19' runabout with a 4.3 and a tower installed.
    No, I'm not on there. And that boat is only '96...I'm just OCD about my machines. Everyone thinks it's newer lol.

Yeah...but it is Mastercraft. They make good boats!

Mine is a Dixie and was plum rotten when I bought it. I did a full gut and resto. Stringers, deck, the works.

Mine wasn't in good enough shape when I bought it to look that nice. Perhaps eventually I can do the interior and gelcoat 👍!

Nice truck mwe, no hemi in there though
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Haha. Thanks. To each his own! I like this ecoboost so far!

Chrome grill, or keep the black?

RC Enthusiast
    Nice ride. I've been a Ford guy my whole life, and like you, I owned a nice 7.3 truck. As indicated by my screen name, I have another Ford in the garage too, but 2 weeks ago I broke down and bought a new truck, and for the first time in a long time it wasn't a Ford. I actually bought something I never thought I would........a Dodge. I got a 2016 Ram Rebel and I actually love the truck. Congrats on the Ford. Those are awesome trucks.
    Rustler VXL
    '69 Mustang (6.12@112)

The new Rams are NICE too! I truly just appreciate all trucks. Ford is my preferred flavor, but I like Chevy, Dodge, and even some of the full size Nissan and Toyota trucks now. There is no brand hating from me.

RC Qualifier
    Chrome grill, or keep the black?
    Black, but I'm partial.

Ohhh, just noticed you got the factory electronic locker! Well played, that is the best feature of the loaded pickups.

Congrats ...
    We are a ford famly oursleves, and currently my wife and were debating on another family mule. My old faithfull 2003 explorer was my first new car here in North America. With only 185 k in milleage and just last week we almost dumped her but decided the long haul and put the 4k in reparations.

Now we have been looking at the ecoboost seriously as the winters hee are unforgiving and small cars are just not an option for the drive and confort, our project mustang is put on hold for another time....but definetely the f 150 is in mind. It took me 6 months to buy the explorer then , looking at all what I can read on the trucks before the buy.

Great, so far I am happy with the reviews on the f150. ecoboost. And with three boys, one will hopefully drive soon next year....but for now space is a priority, along with the trucks capibilities,, with the soaring fuel prices, I even thought of diesel but my ltravells are nit that mch so it will not even be seen as a difference.
    Live life to the fullest

I drove Dodges for 25 years and then 3 years ago I bought a '13 F150 FX4 5.0. 1st Ford since high school. So far I gotta say...I love this truck! Nice truck mwe!!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Thanks everybody.

Jezza, it is so roomy. My dad owns an '06 f350 crew cab, and there is more room inside this one.

Yep eldax, all my older trucks had the factory limited slip diff, but they never worked right.

I am not even sure how the locking diff works yet. Does it atomically lock in 4low?

These are my package options. This is only one trim level up from the bottom. I can't think of anything else one could need. Lol

I wanted a 3.5, but the trim level and price was right on this one. And now I'm excited I did. Mileage is already up to an average of 18 (dash gauge, not hand checked yet) and I have played a fair bit to see what kind of oomph it has. Turn traction control off, point the nose where you want it, and hold on.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everybody.

Jezza, it is so roomy. My dad owns an '06 f350 crew cab, and there is more room inside this one.

Yep eldax, all my older trucks had the factory limited slip diff, but they never worked right.

I am not even sure how the locking diff works yet. Does it atomically lock in 4low?

These are my package options. This is only one trim level up from the bottom. I can't think of anything else one could need. Lol

I wanted a 3.5, but the trim level and price was right on this one. And now I'm excited I did. Mileage is already up to an average of 18 (dash gauge, not hand checked yet) and I have played a fair bit to see what kind of oomph it has. Turn traction control off, point the nose where you want it, and hold on.
    4low is 4low, and is a separate feature from the locking rear diff. You can use that locking rear diff in 2wd, 4high, and 4 low, or not use it at all. (On mine I pull the knob out to engage). It does exactly what you think, locks the rear wheels...hard, like a spool. I think the truck will limit your speed to something like 30mph when this is engaged.

They say you can engage on the fly, but I NEVER do. I know how lockers work, and that just sounds like a bad idea.

Turn traction control off, point the nose where you want it, and hold on.
    No kidding! The first time I got in my truck and was responding to a call, I didn't bury the pedal but still got a nice shove in the back and when I looked at the speedo at the bottom of the ramp I could not believe how fast I was going because it was smooth. I had to back it off a bit for not only my safety but ultimately the safety of the other drivers on the highway - a lot of people don't know what to do or panic when they see the flashing lights coming upon them. Some days I wish I had a dash cam just to show how close I've come to incidents with other drivers.

I've owned a couple Mustang GTs in the past and the kick in the pants is comparable.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    It's also impressive how these newer half tons can tow. My new Ram pulls my boat at least as well as my F250 did. I'm anxious to get me enclosed car trailer behind it.

Rustler VXL
    '69 Mustang (6.12@112)

Yeah. The 12,200 lb rating with the 3.5 EB and Max tow package is nothing to laugh at.

Have you seen the Chevy Colorado with the 4 cylinder duramax diesel? My friend got one and says it can come close to 35mpg. Your never guess it was a diesel or that it had a tiny little 4 cylinder in it.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Have you seen the Chevy Colorado with the 4 cylinder duramax diesel? My friend got one and says it can come close to 35mpg. Your never guess it was a diesel or that it had a tiny little 4 cylinder in it.
    I haven't, not surprised though.

Diesel technology is amazing these days. A VW Jetta TDI (emissions jokes aside) gets like 40 mpg, 50 if you really milk them. Its a shame we don't have more small diesels in the US, and further that we seem to be regulating them into non existence.

I haven't , but I did know Dodge is putting an eco diesel in some of their half tons. I wonder if it is a 4BT or something entirely new.

I need some red LEDs below the hood and an oval from Billetbadges.com that says KITT.

RC Enthusiast
    That's a nice truck man. I hope I don't regret not buying another Ford. Lol
    Rustler VXL
    '69 Mustang (6.12@112)

I love my Fords,

Kept my Ford Explorer XLT 2003 and last year upgraded to a Ford150 5L V8 Super Crew to trail my boat 1997 Bayliner Cierra2655
    Live life to the fullest

Here is my little beast and the old faithful

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Jezza; 02-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

Looking at new trucks now, leaning heavily to a 2018 F-150, going for test drives this weekend.

I have read reviews and done research on all brands that produce full-sized trucks, and it seems that most that I read compare features and performance to the F-150, seems like it is the gold standard.

I have a list of features I want, the max tow package and 4WD are a must, super crew, navigation, in a high-end XLT or moderate Lariat. If my wife had her way we'd get a King Ranch edition, but I am not paying that much for a truck...

The REALLY big question, what engine to get, the V6 Eccoboost, or the V8 Coyote. The V6 actually has more HP, torque and tow capacity than the V8, but that V8 sounds sooooo much better.... The new diesel they are coming out with sounds cool, but I am not a diesel guy, so I am not considering it a viable option.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Looking at new trucks now, leaning heavily to a 2018 F-150, going for test drives this weekend.

I have read reviews and done research on all brands that produce full-sized trucks, and it seems that most that I read compare features and performance to the F-150, seems like it is the gold standard.

I have a list of features I want, the max tow package and 4WD are a must, super crew, navigation, in a high-end XLT or moderate Lariat. If my wife had her way we'd get a King Ranch edition, but I am not paying that much for a truck...

The REALLY big question, what engine to get, the V6 Eccoboost, or the V8 Coyote. The V6 actually has more HP, torque and tow capacity than the V8, but that V8 sounds sooooo much better.... The new diesel they are coming out with sounds cool, but I am not a diesel guy, so I am not considering it a viable option.
    Yeah, I was hesitating between the ecoboost and the V8, I opted for the 6 speed 5l V8 2017, as I was not too sure yet how will the 10 speed transmision hold, my logic beign; too many moving parts, then again thats just my thinking.

The towing capicity of the V8 was enough for my needs and yes love the sound of a V8, cannot be any happier. Another hind sight was that lost of people in our area, thought that the V8 had more life into it in the long run, but as mentioned, everything is a perception of everyone else. I chose this one based o my liking, price and what it was intended for, plus I also got it as a six seater, one big family in one car......instead of taking more than tow vehicles when we travel.

The 2018 diesel is definetely very interesting for me too. I wil see next year my options...hihih
    Live life to the fullest

Sweet truck, but why EcoBoost. Let those engines die.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Nice trucks guys!

That 3.5l ecoboost twin turbo is pretty amazing!

I ended up picking up a 2017 f150 4x4 sport. max tow package, side steps, 4 door, short bed.

The truck is pretty awesome. i have pull some stumps and dragged a mobile home with it.

my quad and xmaxx on the back.

I don't think i can recommend the truck. I got hit at 25-35mph on the front passenger side wheel area, and it cost me $30,000
    in repairs. it snapped the frame, damaged the motor and front diff/axles. The wireharness is 1 piece with the fusebox, fuse box was damaged, have to replace entire wire harness.

Ford dosent have to consider these vehicles totaled as they are modular and can just get all new parts. (that's what they did to me)

I love my truck, but it hurts my feelings and my heart everytime i look at it now
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    Sweet truck, but why EcoBoost. Let those engines die.
    While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, here 50,000 miles later I love my ecoboost. Powerful, quiet, and I get great gas mileage. That's why. Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post
    Nice trucks guys!

That 3.5l ecoboost twin turbo is pretty amazing!

I ended up picking up a 2017 f150 4x4 sport. max tow package, side steps, 4 door, short bed.

The truck is pretty awesome. i have pull some stumps and dragged a mobile home with it.

my quad and xmaxx on the back.

I don't think i can recommend the truck. I got hit at 25-35mph on the front passenger side wheel area, and it cost me $30,000
    in repairs. it snapped the frame, damaged the motor and front diff/axles. The wireharness is 1 piece with the fusebox, fuse box was damaged, have to replace entire wire harness.

Ford dosent have to consider these vehicles totaled as they are modular and can just get all new parts. (that's what they did to me)

I love my truck, but it hurts my feelings and my heart everytime i look at it now
    Wow! That's crazy. Are they making the frames out of aluminum now too? JK

But for real that's an insane amount of damage for a low speed crash.

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, here 50,000 miles later I love my ecoboost. Powerful, quiet, and I get great gas mileage. That's why. Lol
    50,000? A modern car is barely broken in at 50,000 miles. You might have good luck for the long haul, if you plan on keeping your truck for a while, but turbos have their own sets of headaches and issues. Don't miss an oil change or even let it run long - that's for sure.

My last truck had a turbo, and was sold with 350,000 miles. I'm not worried about it. I like my truck, thanks.

The '15+ trucks have the best cash test ratings in the class. And, since buying it, I've seen some nasty crashes on forums and groups where the whole family walked away. I couldn't care less how well the body panels fair in a crash. I want us to be in one piece.

Why would I want to miss an oil change on my $40,000 truck?

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 02-02-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post

Isn't your insurance company the one in charge of determining whether it's totaled or not?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Nice truck mwe, no hemi in there though
    Finally, a dodge fan lol. I was starting to think comments about dodge aren't allowed on the forums lol. Do you like the rebel?

I'm not sure why liking one has to exclude any of the others. Oh well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast