RC Competitor

New owner/ cooler mod

Hi all,

Just got a XO-1. I have a few rc car alle heavily customized Traxxas verhicles (1/16 LCG onroad carbon chassis, 4s 1/16 summit, E-revo to 5SC out of two e-revo chassis, E-revo to onroad corvette). And now a XO-1, a nice tricked out Slash 4x4 ;-) and is now the fasted car in my garage. I have to get used to this ride and wan't to set-up the XO-1 for circuit use.

The standard servo is not up to speed so i mounted a external BEC and a Savox.

Second mod: forced (motor-) cooling. By adding two vans 30x30mm, 12v each/ serie wired directly to lipo leads providing cooling also when car is at stand still:

Last edited by Mc T; 03-28-2016 at 11:59 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice idea there

I also went with a savox which one did you get ?

RC Competitor
    It's a servo i've got with deal from a e-revo. It didn't function good i was told. So i didn't try it til a servo broke down. The cause of glitching/ restarting ESC was that the internal bec was to weak, by using a external bec it worked fine. A shortcase SC-1251MG 0,09s/9kg. It's fast and more than strong enough for the job.

RC Qualifier
    It is a cool idea, but will it actually work? I know some people have already had issues with the air from the NACA duct blowing out fans that are mounted on top of the motor so I do not see why it would not blow these fans out. Are you only going to use them for really low speed driving?

RC Competitor
    ..not that slow ;-) Circuit use so long driving with a lot of accelerating and braking that will generate a lott of heat. Top speeds of around 100km/h. And motor temp will go further up direct after stand still of a race. That can also be potential harmfull to the motor.

Using a car on a circuit is in my opinion good use/ many driving hours/ a lot of fun. And for a car as the XO-1 a potential live saver because of mild crashers ;-)

RC Qualifier
    Which battery's you planning running 6s or less ?

RC Competitor
    Yes, 6S for max torque. I did some laps, for now the standard gearing seems to be a good match (lipo's/ motor and esc temp). The standard tires grip very good on a tarmac track. For further tuning the car for circuit use i ordered sets of springs, the sway bar kit and a more usefull rear spoiler.

RC Qualifier
    Which spoiler did you order

RC Competitor
    I ordered a gt2 spoiler. I have the same on my e-revo to corvette gt2 conversion. A model that looks a lot of the 1/10 most used onroad rear spoiler only 1/8 scale: 280mm.

RC Competitor
    I've got my parts agent that he can't get me a separate gt2 rear wing. I'm now looking for alternatives, maybe make my own cutting out of food diposables or from Delteplastics. Do you now approx. 280mm wide alternative wings?

It is been a while i have drive my e-revo to gt2 conversion. I spend a while a go some time to tune this car for circuit use. Bud, this drives realy as a muscle car, a lot of fun on 6s/ 2200kv monster, raw power. The xo-1 hase a lot more power and potential for circuit use, the 'big block' combo is so much smoother and controllable. How can such a big sensorless motor be so smooth and still so powerfull?

RC poster
    McT, How are your cooling fans working out? Any issues? Where did you end up hooking the fans up at?

RC Competitor
    They work fine, a strong flow of air at stand still. And the flow of air will be further boosted when driving. "Hooked up", mounted with double sided tape at all sides, electrics? Both vans 12v in series soldered direct to the power in/ on to the battery leads.
    Last edited by Mc T; 04-10-2016 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc T View Post
    They work fine, a strong flow of air at stand still. And the flow of air will be further boosted when driving. "Hooked up", mounted with double sided tape at all sides, electrics? Both vans 12v in series soldered direct to the power in/ on to the battery leads.
    Series soldered? Doesn't it make more sense to make a parallel connection to them? In a series curcuit like yours, doesn't each fan only get half the voltage, instead of the full 12? If they were parallel they would equally have 12v, no voltage drop, but the amp draw would be twice which is fine because your battery can't dish out more volts, but it can easily give more amps?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc T View Post
    Cool, great idea. It gets pretty hot were I'm at in the summer and this would definitely be a plus and very inexpensive. ����
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionkev55 View Post
    Series soldered? Doesn't it make more sense to make a parallel connection to them? In a series curcuit like yours, doesn't each fan only get half the voltage, instead of the full 12? If they were parallel they would equally have 12v, no voltage drop, but the amp draw would be twice which is fine because your battery can't dish out more volts, but it can easily give more amps?
    Connecting two 12 volt rated fans to a 24 volt system parallel would give you 24 volts to each fan which would burn them out and series circuit would give you 12 volts per fan. Unless he's just hooking them somehow up to one battery? then parallel would be fine.

I did find fans of that size on eBay 30mm X 30mm X 10mm and 24 volt 0.13A for $3.49 each that would work in a parallel circuit. Would post picture but won't let me, guess you have to have permission?
    Last edited by seven1963; 04-10-2016 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Description

RC poster

Red face

Here it is

RC Competitor
    Two 3s lipo serie wired for 6S power. Two 12v van's in series vans, no problem , no burning, works great (12 +12= 24v).

It's got something to do with Ohm's law.

Because of the remarks now i did a little test, one 12v on 3s lipo, works fine. Two vans 12v in series on 3s lipo, to low voltage, the vans do not start up. Two 3S lipo's in series, the fans working fine.

I did the same on my 6s E-revo to gt2 conversion. The vans of the ESC and mounted on the motor both broke down by dirth getting in. I replaced both by the same fans as on my xo-1 now. Both in series on the power leads of the ESC. So they are always running when lipo's are connected, for months now.

And my question, why is the 1717 combo combo so much smoother than the Mamba monster 2200kv combo? Is it because of the caps helping startup the engine? Otherwise, the magnetic field force of the 2200kv is feeling much stronger, you feel a big diffrence when you push the gt2 car or the xo-1 by hand. You would think that with the 'big block'1717 that it should give the most resistance/ force of the magnetic fields bud the cc1500/ 2200kv fields are much stronger.
    Last edited by Mc T; 04-10-2016 at 10:06 AM.

RC poster
    Yeah that's what I was thinking you did because at the ESC the voltage is 24. Because you wired the fans in series that will give you 12 volts per fan that is wired to a 24 volt source power. If I use the two 24 volt fans then I will have to parallel wire to give me the 24 volts needed to,run the fans. Thanks for replying and cool mod!

I'm no t sure about the 1717 motor question because I have a lot of nitro stuff but I would just think it has to do with the magnetic field design?? But not sure.

Have a great day!

Oh woops, forgot about you running through the 24v packs. What I did in a different vehicle is parallel solder 2 5v fans because I ran out of room on my reciever, so now they take up one slot. I noticed the receiver couldn't add more volts to feed both fans in series, so in parallel the voltage is perfect, and allows the fans to draw more amps, which the receiver easily provides.

RC Competitor
    The turn circle of the XO-1 is surpricily smal. Bud it would't turn and stability while driving a straight line was very difficult. So i did some adjusting, front 1,5 degrees toe out,2 degrees positive camber, rear sadly toe can't be set (?), 1 degrees positive camber helpt a lot.

RC poster
    Thinking of installing a turbo keychain maybe twin to spool air from another naca duct would sound crazy saw a video on YouTube a guy put twins on his 1/10 body powered by a small rc motor