Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

GoolRC Motor & ESC Combo Review

I hope to make this sort of like one of those long term road tests you might find in Car & Driver, so I will update it as things go. Good or bad.

I own a pair of Slashes, the entry level $200 brushed variety. They are basically stock with the exception of LCG chassis, tires, and some front RPM hubs. I don't plan to upgrade them much, as I don't mind them being slow. I keep them around for friends and my daughter to drive with me. As you know, races are more fun when the cars are similar.

I was perfectly content with the speed the stock Titan 12 turn motor provided. I, however, am not so pleased with its life expectancy. I've killed a few in short time. In the Titan's defense, I run on the dustiest track on the face of the planet. I'm talking that super fine Afganistan moon dust kind of dust. It gets into everything.

With that said, I needed a new pair of motors. Again, I wasn't specifically looking to upgrade to a brushless motors, just motors that might live a bit longer.

Enter the GoolRC 3650 4370KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor with 45A Brushless ESC. http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Sensorl...ilpage_o01_s00

I purchased these for a couple reasons. One, they came wired with Deans (I hate to solder, lol). Two, they are brushless. Third, and most importantly, they were $40. I don't have high expectations for them, understand that. I fully expect the 45amp ESC to fail in short fashion, but hopefully the motor will live on. At $40 a pop, I'm willing to take the risk. I wasn't looking for 4370kv (what a weird number), but the combo price for those was cheaper, lol. It should do in a 2wd.

After quite literally a month in the mail from some place I cannot pronounce, they arrived today. Maybe they save money on packaging?

Once opened, here is what you get...along with some poorly written specifications. The first thing I noticed is the size. As expected, these are 380 sized motors in 540 sized cans. Do not be fooled into thinking you are getting a 540.

Brushless 45amp...says so right there! The papers that came with them seem to suggest this is the continuous amp rating, while the burst is at a more respectable 180amps. The same papers say the BEC is 5.8v and 3 amps, and that the ESC is capable of 3s...to which I highly doubt, and I don't plan to test.

Cute little fella, ain't it? One bonus I can see for the 380 to 540 shuffle is that the can is ribbed, which should aid in heat dissipation. Have to look on the bright side of things sometimes.

My first real complaint. The wires are short, like all of them. The wires to the motor, the wires to the receiver...short. I suppose every penny counts when you are selling $20 motors. I had to modify the Slash LCG a bit, and grind off some plastic. This would have been the case with many ESCs though. The way I have it mounted at an angle, however, is simply due to the wire shortage. I didn't want to go relocating everything, as I expect these ESCs to die, so I stuck it down with two sided tape and zip tied it to a screw. We shall see if this comes back to haunt me.

My other modification due to wire length. I'm not really upset about this one, as I almost did this with the factory ESC as well. The Dremel is a many wondered thing.

Here we are, all mounted up. It's comically small in my opinion.

Here are the twinkies all setup and ready to roll.

First run out:

I'm not going to lie, I am pleasantly surprised. I had to adjust the slippers down hard on both trucks to keep them from squealing on take off. I ran them up and down my street, many times. Ran them both through the yard full of grass to heat them up. On 2s, the ESCs were both cold to the touch, and the motors were just warm. This is nothing like what I will put them through on a track day, but decent for their first outing. I honestly expected more problems.

The ESC fans are loud, but functional. The motors seemed to have enough torque to get the Slashes up and moving in a hurry. They aren't going to wheelie or do backflips any time soon, but they are a bit more peppy than the Titan 12 they replaced. The turning seemed about the same as before. The top speed was moderately faster. I am still running on the brushed factory gearing, for what it's worth.

Are these as good as a proper Velineon VXL or Castle SCT setup? No, don't be silly. Are they as good as a brushed Titan 12...I'll tell you in a month or two.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Woah you're like the RC Car and Driver. These motors are actually pretty okay. I think that running lipo with brushless is a big thing for speed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionkev55 View Post
    Woah you're like the RC Car and Driver. These motors are actually pretty okay. I think that running lipo with brushless is a big thing for speed.
    I wouldn't dare go that far, lol. I only wish my job was to review and test things I enjoy for a living. How fun would that be!?

Yes, I did my testing with LIPOs, as I sell off any NimH batteries I end up with. Not because they are heavy, or lack power, but I would rather my car simply stop on low voltage cutoff then make slower, and slower, and slower laps. That drives me up a wall, lol.

RC Qualifier
    Was short on time tonight, but I managed to run a 2s 30c 5000mah pack through each truck on my local track. I can verify, these are more powerful than the stock motor. There are corners I used to be able to take flat out, where today I had to use some trigger control to prevent spin outs. I am also able to clear a jump that was always about a foot to long to land with the old motors.

As for longevity, it's too early to tell. With that said, they lived through day one! (I was honestly surprised, lol) I ran a full pack through both of them, with almost no breaks in the action. Temps got up to around 140f, give or take. It was about 75f outside and I was beating on them. ESC temps were just above ambient...those little fans spin stupid fast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    45 amps? and that is essentially a 380 motor with fins.......

my mini revo has a peak of 52 amps, stock...... EEK!

and I know all about aghni moon dust..... it's worse in kuwait

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    45 amps? and that is essentially a 380 motor with fins.......

my mini revo has a peak of 52 amps, stock...... EEK!

and I know all about aghni moon dust..... it's worse in kuwait

Been there...your right, plenty of moon dust in Kuwait!

The 45amp is continuous, allegedly. I feel after using it the number may be accurate though, the ESCs ran pretty cool, the motor did get warm. Again, I didn't buy these as an upgrade. I have a Castle 3800 SV3 sitting on shelf, I just wanted the brushless equivalent of a Titan 12t...one that didn't die monthly, lol. So far so good, but it's only been 2 days.

Good read !

Just ordered a 2650 gool.

I have a 2wd slash with a 60a hobby wing esc, for 20 bucks I was curious
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcE View Post
    Good read !

Just ordered a 2650 gool.

I have a 2wd slash with a 60a hobby wing esc, for 20 bucks I was curious
    That was my line of thought as well, mostly curious. Let me know how yours holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    That was my line of thought as well, mostly curious. Let me know how yours holds up.
    I will. I'm not sure how to tell what arm is in the can ?

Pricewise it cant be a real 540......
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

my esc mounted differently....this is where mine has always been when i got it used.
    I cut a thick piece of styrene sheet ,screwed it down to chassis, dbl tape and zip ties hold it, and that fan is noisy also
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier

my esc mounted differently....this is where mine has always been when i got it used.
    I cut a thick piece of styrene sheet ,screwed it down to chassis, dbl tape and zip ties hold it, and that fan is noisy also
    Very nice...I may have to do that. Last night as I was cleaning things with my air compressor I noticed that my ESC's double sided tape was already coming loose. Not the ESCs fault, my fault for using a less than adequate mounting system. I may have to do something like what you have there.

As to the motor size, it's an educated guess on my part. If you can visualize the motor's can without the ribbing, it's about the size of a 380.

In order, 280, 380, 540, 550, 700

The 540 (standard 10th scale) and 550 (what Traxxas uses) are the same diameter, but the 550 is longer.

Hmmmmm.......

My Gool 2600 came today, Quick look before dinner, its FAT, NO FINS, 5mm shaft......

Great Packaging...NO STICKER!! (can't be any good w/o stickers ?)

I must see if I have any 5mm pinions here, 48 pitch.......If not a LHS run tomorrow!

NOPE .....I will spend !!! need 3 pinions

Nice bag !

5mm shaft.....

$24.95 shipped to the door !

I may put this in the 4x4....same size as a stock 3500 Velineon !

http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-4Poles-..._detailpages00

DID NOT ship from China, but from CA in 5 days to FL

Last edited by MikeMcE; 04-01-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    That looks like a BEAST!

That looks like a BEAST!
    It is, my plan was to put this in the 2wd slash on the 60a ESC......now i'm not so sure I won't feed it with my VXL3s and try it in the 4x4.
    I have the MM2 already and am waiting on my Castle2650 for the 4x4 as that was the plan....this will get to be fun.

My MIP Xdutys are due in today as MIP warrantied my bent "race bones" .....Oh well I must go pinion shopping.....
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier

My MIP Xdutys are due in today as MIP warrantied my bent "race bones" .....Oh well I must go pinion shopping.....
    Don't get me started on MIP Race Duty...there aren't enough "*"s in the world for me to properly describe my hatred of those things.

I should be taking the Gool powered Slashes out for another race today. Will report back in.

Don't get me started on MIP Race Duty...there aren't enough "*"s in the world for me to properly describe my hatred of those things.

I should be taking the Gool powered Slashes out for another race today. Will report back in.
    Please DO!!!

I only found a 18 tooth pinion, will check and see what 48 pitch spurs will work...or be close.

I have a few Kershaw pinions coming for the other motor in 32 pitch
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

I wonder if these really cheap brushless motors are as good as they seem. I mean, brushless is brushless but, there is differences in efficiency still. I wish I could side by side test the performance of a $25 motor vs a $90, to see if there is even a big difference.

Well.....It has TORQUE.......with my gearing had little speed, adjusted the slipper......PHHHT......think the diff died with that torque...Oh well
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Yep...pulled the bars right out of the cup.....I have a ball diff for it, time to build that I have some correct gears coming from Kershaw.....48 pitch, with a 5mm shaft. Between them and robinson I can gear these trucks!
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Delayed update: Took the trucks out this last weekend. Ran three packs through them back to back to back. It was a warm day, and the motors did start creeping up on 140, but never got quite there. I was running them way harder than most people would under normal situations.

Would also like to confirm, even though they are 380 sized motors in 540 cans, they are indeed faster and more "torquey" than the factory brushed setups. It's not an AMAZING upgrade like a Velineon or Castle setup...but it is indeed a small upgrade.

One problem did pop up, a rock broke one of the fan blades on one of the ESCs. This could be crappy plastic fan, or bad luck, I'll let you be the judge. For now, it still spins, so I'm not going to fix it. I'll just keep running them until something blows up. Another couple weeks like this and they will have officially lived longer than a few of my Titan 12s, lol.

RC poster
    Good write up.
    Thank you for taking the time.

RC Qualifier
    No problem. I would have another entry on this, but I have been swamped with work and focusing my time rock crawling, lol.

My gears just shipped, I get them tuesday
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

My gears just shipped, I get them tuesday
    Finally !!!!

I must admit I am also surprised with how this motor runs. Finally got the gear I ordered for this motor, discocered I can and will go a few more teeth larger.

I have this geared (on 2s) 31/83

The torque in this motor allows this truck to really run on the grass, w/o spinning out, slipping and sliding....thats a first!

I have run the 3950 with the same setup, and was OK....I'm going up a few teeth more, (33 , 35) and will see where it goes.

I ran 2 quick , fun packs in the side yard tonight, not blinding fast, but runs great! The two bigger gears might make it interesting ......or fall flat...more to come!

Motor Temp was 124 peak after two packs ESC 94 with fan running
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

elDax, is there any info in the packaging about the esc being waterproof? I followed Lion's link over from the MERV page because I am looking for a brushless setup for my son. He likes to find water though so built-in waterproofing is a plus.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboniman808 View Post
    elDax, is there any info in the packaging about the esc being waterproof? I followed Lion's link over from the MERV page because I am looking for a brushless setup for my son. He likes to find water though so built-in waterproofing is a plus.
    Negative. It is not waterproof, nor do they claim to be.

If you want waterproof, you have two options: Traxxas and some Castle ESCs, or waterproof it yourself. Sorry.

Also, sorry I haven't updated the thread lately. Been really busy with my crawler, Aton, and real life. Haven't been to the track in weeks. ;(

RC poster
    I have a Slash 2wd with a castle motor/esc 4600kv. This is a great setup if you want to haul!! I also have a SC10 2wd with a castle esc and a goolrc motor 5200kv. For the $20 I spent on the motor it is well worth it! Lots of power and torque. I have had it for a couple of months and race almost every Saturday for a couple of hours. I will buy another one for sure just to have a back up.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-08-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: *s

RC Qualifier
    Nice! ^^^

Thanks for the info!

RC Racer
    Are these esc's compatible with any brand of programming card? I want to pick up a few to run in loaner vehicles and need to be able to tune them without counting blinks and mashing buttons.
    Insert witty retort here...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoracer View Post
    Are these esc's compatible with any brand of programming card? I want to pick up a few to run in loaner vehicles and need to be able to tune them without counting blinks and mashing buttons.
    Negative. You will need to purchase their special card. http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Program...rogramming+car

It's low budget, and kinda janky, but functional.

RC Racer
    Thanks elDax, I appreciate it.
    Insert witty retort here...

RC poster

question on this exact same setup

I have this exact setup - I bought this goolrc 3650 4370kv motor on amazon to replace the stock brushed motor for my 2wd slash. I'm a newbie to this hobby, so I probably did something wrong, but it actually runs much much slower than the stock brushed motor, which is the 550. I am running a 2C 7.4v lipo, but I bet it isn't even going 20mph.

Any ideas / suggestions what I'm doing wrong?

I hope to make this sort of like one of those long term road tests you might find in Car & Driver, so I will update it as things go. Good or bad.

I own a pair of Slashes, the entry level $200 brushed variety. They are basically stock with the exception of LCG chassis, tires, and some front RPM hubs. I don't plan to upgrade them much, as I don't mind them being slow. I keep them around for friends and my daughter to drive with me. As you know, races are more fun when the cars are similar.

I was perfectly content with the speed the stock Titan 12 turn motor provided. I, however, am not so pleased with its life expectancy. I've killed a few in short time. In the Titan's defense, I run on the dustiest track on the face of the planet. I'm talking that super fine Afganistan moon dust kind of dust. It gets into everything.

With that said, I needed a new pair of motors. Again, I wasn't specifically looking to upgrade to a brushless motors, just motors that might live a bit longer.

Enter the GoolRC 3650 4370KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor with 45A Brushless ESC. http://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Sensorl...ilpage_o01_s00

I purchased these for a couple reasons. One, they came wired with Deans (I hate to solder, lol). Two, they are brushless. Third, and most importantly, they were $40. I don't have high expectations for them, understand that. I fully expect the 45amp ESC to fail in short fashion, but hopefully the motor will live on. At $40 a pop, I'm willing to take the risk. I wasn't looking for 4370kv (what a weird number), but the combo price for those was cheaper, lol. It should do in a 2wd.

After quite literally a month in the mail from some place I cannot pronounce, they arrived today. Maybe they save money on packaging?

Once opened, here is what you get...along with some poorly written specifications. The first thing I noticed is the size. As expected, these are 380 sized motors in 540 sized cans. Do not be fooled into thinking you are getting a 540.

Brushless 45amp...says so right there! The papers that came with them seem to suggest this is the continuous amp rating, while the burst is at a more respectable 180amps. The same papers say the BEC is 5.8v and 3 amps, and that the ESC is capable of 3s...to which I highly doubt, and I don't plan to test.

Cute little fella, ain't it? One bonus I can see for the 380 to 540 shuffle is that the can is ribbed, which should aid in heat dissipation. Have to look on the bright side of things sometimes.

My first real complaint. The wires are short, like all of them. The wires to the motor, the wires to the receiver...short. I suppose every penny counts when you are selling $20 motors. I had to modify the Slash LCG a bit, and grind off some plastic. This would have been the case with many ESCs though. The way I have it mounted at an angle, however, is simply due to the wire shortage. I didn't want to go relocating everything, as I expect these ESCs to die, so I stuck it down with two sided tape and zip tied it to a screw. We shall see if this comes back to haunt me.

My other modification due to wire length. I'm not really upset about this one, as I almost did this with the factory ESC as well. The Dremel is a many wondered thing.

Here we are, all mounted up. It's comically small in my opinion.

Here are the twinkies all setup and ready to roll.

First run out:

I'm not going to lie, I am pleasantly surprised. I had to adjust the slippers down hard on both trucks to keep them from squealing on take off. I ran them up and down my street, many times. Ran them both through the yard full of grass to heat them up. On 2s, the ESCs were both cold to the touch, and the motors were just warm. This is nothing like what I will put them through on a track day, but decent for their first outing. I honestly expected more problems.

The ESC fans are loud, but functional. The motors seemed to have enough torque to get the Slashes up and moving in a hurry. They aren't going to wheelie or do backflips any time soon, but they are a bit more peppy than the Titan 12 they replaced. The turning seemed about the same as before. The top speed was moderately faster. I am still running on the brushed factory gearing, for what it's worth.

Are these as good as a proper Velineon VXL or Castle SCT setup? No, don't be silly. Are they as good as a brushed Titan 12...I'll tell you in a month or two.

RC Qualifier
    Did you change the gearing? My first guess would be that you haven't taken advantage of the more torque available by moving up a few teeth with your pinion gear. A lower kv motor (more torque) geared the same as a higher kv motor will actually be slower if I'm not mistaken.

RC poster
    I figured out the problem, but may help anyone else who has this - the GoolRC setup was wired incorrectly - when I connected the colors the motor was reversed. The reason for the slow speed is it was going forward, but the motor was running in reverse. I switched the wires and reversed the throttle control, and now it runs great. The gearing was fine.

thanks

If you switch any two wires on a sensorless brushless system, the motor will reverse directions. This is usually required with Traxxas vehicles. It does not mean a motor was wired incorrectly. .
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Racer
    Here's a good place to ask.. I just got done blowing a GoolRC motor in my Slash 4x4 with Mt tires yesterday. I think I took my new Hobbywing SC-8 with it as at least one of the capacitors blew in the ESC... Motor is now hard to turn too.

Had it with 20/54 gearing. It's a 2600kv motor that I blew. Ran it on 3s for all of 5 minutes when this transpired too. I have no doubt it was user error (too high gearing?)

So I have a Leopard 2650kv on the way and have another SC-8 I was gonna use for my other Slash build.

But the question is what gearing should I run with Stampede size tires on this thing? I'd like to run both 2s and 3s.

Here's the Leopard that will be here tomorrow. Will be paired with a 120amp Hobbywing SC-8.

Leopard Brushless Inrunner 2650Kv 4-Pole for RC Boats and 90mm EDF Airplanes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBTY68U..._I4cwxbJWB12JR

Here's the one I blew in 5 min

GoolRC 3660 4Poles 2600KV Brushless Motor for RC 1/8 1/10 Truck off-road Car Boat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WQYBAOI..._G7cwxbTJSS4WT

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RC poster

what happened

Is this thread dead? I was really interested in hearing the outcome of the goolrc motors and esc. I own a brushless 2wd rustler vxl the motor is still velineon but the esc died so I put a hobby wing 60 amp esc on it. It seems to be holding up well for now but haven't ran it whole lot yet. Also have an old 1/16 gravedigger (mini e revo) that I've already converted to 4wd but still brushed at the moment. The esc died died last week and I would love to change it to brushless but honestly just can't afford to spend the money on the velineon for it. If the goolrc really turns out to be a reliable combination it's almost as cheap as replacing the esc. I'm sure many others would consider the switch as well.
    Last edited by cwalker1960; 01-29-2018 at 06:44 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

GoolRC Motor & ESC Combo Review

Quote Originally Posted by cwalker1960 View Post
    Is this thread dead? I was really interested in hearing the outcome of the goolrc motors and esc. I own a brushless 2wd rustler vxl the motor is still velineon but the esc died so I put a hobby wing 60 amp esc on it. It seems to be holding up well for now but haven't ran it whole lot yet. Also have an old 1/16 gravedigger (mini e revo) that I've already converted to 4wd but still brushed at the moment. The esc died died last week and I would love to change it to brushless but honestly just can't afford to spend the money on the velineon for it. If the goolrc really turns out to be a reliable combination it's almost as cheap as replacing the esc. I'm sure many others would consider the switch as well.
    Step up your esc thoughts. That way you can upgrade to your hearts content. I'm
    Running the 120 amp hw and the GoolRC 2600kv and it drops right in and is fantastic, much better than stock.

RC Racer
    Hate to start the thread again but... I'm getting a traxxas blast and goolrc for it. I'm getting the 4000kv 60a combo for it. Is it any good?
    100Mph isn't fast enough!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher22 View Post
    Hate to start the thread again but... I'm getting a traxxas blast and goolrc for it. I'm getting the 4000kv 60a combo for it. Is it any good?
    Youíre asking after you bought it? The motors are good for the money and the ESCís donít appear to be worth buying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast