Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

The Platinum M.O.B build up

The Mail Order Bride (M.O.B) build

I have been asked a few times to see my current project so I figured it was time to start my very own build thread instead of hijacking others with my posts. You may notice some design cues from other builds on this forum. I want to give huge thanks to both Squeegie and ElSob for all their emails back and forth to set me down the right path. As well as to all the other members here that made this possible.

I have dubbed this the Mail Order Bride due to the fact that I live in a very remote part of Idaho and the closest hobby shop is over 4 hours away. So with that every single piece had to be ordered online. Seems easy enough but if not researched fully and every part purchased right the first time shipping charges would of cost me as much as the build itself. You will also notice I have “extra” parts or sometimes what seems unnecessary parts, this is partly because when I was ordering from sites I had to bump up cost in order to get free shipping or to add discounts or quite simply I wasn’t sure if I would like something and wanted a fall back or to try something different. Any of the extra stuff will roll over into my sons Slash Ultimate Monster truck build or be used in putting together my very old and tired XL1 Rustler for my wife to drive. So without further rambling I give you my brand new Slash Platinum “M.O.B” along with a few pictures.

Electronics and Motor
    • Mamba Monster X ESC and 1515-2200 kv motor
    • Futaba 3PL radio
    • Futaba R204GF-E receiver (no more antenna)
    • Castle Creations field link program card
    • Castle Creations blower
    • Traxxas 2075 servo (extra to upgrade with steel internals)
    • SPC LiPo 4s with hard case

Body
    • Proline VW bug
    • Proline extended body mount
    • Proline thumb washer kit (extra to have on hand)
    • Duratrax Paint (blue, silver, black, white)
    • Tamiya Paint (fluorescent green)
    • Duratrax body reamer

Wheels and Tires
    • Proline Trencher 2.8”
    • Proline F11 wheels with 17mm hex
    • Proline Trencher SC 2.2/3.0 pre-mounted
    • Hot Racing 17mm adapters with 10mm offset (back ordered)

Hardware and Upgrades
    • HPI Vorza Flux rear shocks
    • MIP X-Duty CVD’s front and rear
    • Tekno Big Bone driveshaft
    • STRC bell crank
    • STRC ESC mounting plate
    • Hot Racing motor mount
    • Traxxas XO1 differential upgrade using part# 6882X, 3978, 3236
    • Traxxas Stampede shock arm guards part# 6733
    • Traxxas Revo slipper upgrade part# 5352R, 5351
    • Traxxas male battery connector part# 3070
    • Traxxas ESC mount part# 5626
    • Traxxas spur gear 50 tooth, 32 pitch part# 6842R
    • Robinson Racing hardened pinion 18t and 20t

Great parts list and build sheet... PICTURES!!!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Another new guy that dove in head first.Should be a sweet ride.And yes pics are always a big plus.
    Traxxas Slash Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I've got to get my pictures up. Soon as I get home I will. I'm still working out a few kinks. Sounds like I've got some binding someplace in the drive train causing it to be noisy as all get out. Not sure if it's just cogging of the new motor or what. There's noticeable slop in the steering I need to address. And tidy up the wiring

Here's a quick teaser shot cause it's here at work with me.
    Last edited by Tacobox; 03-30-2016 at 02:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice! I want to see this Revo Slipper update everyone is doing. I think it's next on my hit list.

For what it's worth, I almost hit 50mph with 22p/50s on 3s with that motor. On 4s, with that 20 tooth, I would be scared!
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

RC Qualifier
    Currently have 20/54 in it because I messed up and ordered the wrong spur gear.

Mail Order Bride...shipping is a killer for a $5 part like that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacobox View Post
    Currently have 20/54 in it because I messed up and ordered the wrong spur gear.

Mail Order Bride...shipping is a killer for a $5 part like that.
    This ^^^ is probably a good everyday gearing. It will still be stupid fast, was everything I could do to keep mine straight, and that's with some AVC assistance. Pro Tip: AVC/TSM not nearly as effective when front tires are in the air, lol.

RC Qualifier
    Squeegie you might notice how my shocks are mounted. I took pictures of it. I pulled the plastic piece out of the shock cap and inside I placed a small aluminum spacer that I put shrink wrap on it, this is sandwiched between two plastic washers that have an inner lip the exact size of the shock cap opening. Basically made a cheap man's bearing and it's a flush nice fit. I'm not sure it will work better than what everybody else has done with the stand offs but was worth a shot to try something new.

I'm not really a fan of the wiring on this motor either. Wish I had gone with my gut and bought the traxxas one with nice black solid wires like squeegie did because I like clean and tidy and not much you can do with these.

Also came to the conclusion that ElSob did with this motor mount. Wish I had went for the KH mount but again shipping cost was my enemy and the HR mount was lumped in with free shipping so was the logical choice.

Yeah I've got to get my pictures up. Soon as I get home I will. I'm still working out a few kinks. Sounds like I've got some binding someplace in the drive train causing it to be noisy as all get out. Not sure if it's just cogging of the new motor or what. There's noticeable slop in the steering I need to address. And tidy up the wiring

Here's a quick teaser shot cause it's here at work with me.
    Man! That is a clean looking truck! I am happy that you finally are getting it together! The HR motor mount works. It just doesn't have the fit and finish that the King Headz motor mount has. I look forward to seeing a video of this bad boy going through its paces
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    Very nice! I want to see this Revo Slipper update everyone is doing. I think it's next on my hit list.

For what it's worth, I almost hit 50mph with 22p/50s on 3s with that motor. On 4s, with that 20 tooth, I would be scared!
    elDax, check out my build thread (https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=overdue), post #14, for the Revo Slipper upgrade. Part numbers and a couple pictures are there.

Tacobox, you've got a great looking truck there. The Savox 0251mg gear set is a direct replacement for the 2075 gears if you were wondering which ones will fit. I picked some up on Amazon (free shipping) about six weeks ago but they appear to be sold out now (http://www.amazon.com/Sav%C3%B6x-Sav...ilpage_o09_s00) Thanks for the pics & keep us updated on this beast!

WOWSERS !!!!!

I'm doing almost the same....2650, not 2000 (shorter)

I went with the Mamba Monster 2.......Hey its just overkill!

BUT I was able to use the traxxas XO1 esc mount (5626) screws into the pan.

Xduties will hold the revo clutch...I hope
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    elDax, check out my build thread (https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=overdue), post #14, for the Revo Slipper upgrade. Part numbers and a couple pictures are there.
    Will do brother. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that's another thing I'm going to focus on. I used the STRC esc mount and stick mine to that. I don't like it so when I go to Boise next weekend I'm going to get some aluminum or brass to make a better one.

Welcome to the club...

You will love the futaba 3pl as well , just awsome radios..

Now all you have to so is get her dirty.
    Live life to the fullest

Looks great so far. I've jumped in head first with mine as well. About to pull the trigger on Mamba Monster 2 and 2650. Just waiting to get my warrantied x duty bones back from MIP. Looking forward to your high res pics!
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcE View Post
    WOWSERS !!!!!

I'm doing almost the same....2650, not 2000 (shorter)

I went with the Mamba Monster 2.......Hey its just overkill!

BUT I was able to use the traxxas XO1 esc mount (5626) screws into the pan.

Xduties will hold the revo clutch...I hope
    That mount works perfectly with the MM2:

The MMX is slightly wider and you would have to hack it up and make a mounting plate to get it to fit:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...354-WarBAJR-II
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I've got it in my bin of parts. Wasn't sure if I wanted to hack it up or just fab a bracket myself.

RC Qualifier
    Seeing your motor makes me want to sell this Castle one and buy a one like yours. The wires and black can look ten times better.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sitting here with it on my desk, scratching my head as to what's binding up. When I took it on the desk back and forth it's just so dang loud and clunky/grindy sounding.

RC Champion
    These big 8th-scale motors do not turn smoothly when you roll the truck by hand back and forth. Not at all... An easy check for binding is to loosen the motor plate screw and rotate your motor back to disengage the pinion from the spur. If your truck still has resistance to rolling and makes noises, then you do have a problem somewhere in the drive train. If not, what you're feeling/hearing is normal for a strong 4-pole motor. If you want really loud, throw in a steel spur!

RC Racer
    I'm running a Robinson Racing 18 tooth steel pinion with a matching steel 50 tooth steel spur. It's not overly loud in my opinion. I run the 2650 castle and on 4s the trucks almost uncontrollable on anything close to full throttle. 18 tooth pinion makes 2s feel like 3s did on the stock motor. I have a 20 and 21 pinion on order to see if that will make 4s useable.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I have just the slightest hang up with the motor pulled off. It's almost like the drive shaft is bent or something. Both front and rear are smooth. Add tekno drive shaft and I've got something weird going on. It's not bad, prolly just work itself it after a pack or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post

OH MY I'm going to have a fun time once the Brown truck stops again!!!
    Last edited by MikeMcE; 03-30-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

OH MY I'm going to have a fun time once the Brown truck stops again!!!
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Competitor

The MMX is slightly wider and you would have to hack it up and make a mounting plate to get it to fit:

Squeeg that build is so tight!

RC Racer
    I'm sitting here with it on my desk, scratching my head as to what's binding up. When I took it on the desk back and forth it's just so dang loud and clunky/grindy sounding.
    My Slash 4x4 was making a sound just like the one you are describing. I noticed it was my Tekno driveshaft rubbing underneath the front part of chassis. I used a sanding tool to shave down where it was rubbing. Problem fixed.
    Last edited by Rcgeorge; 03-30-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Left out words
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcgeorge View Post
    My Slash 4x4 was making a sound just like the one you are describing. I noticed it was my Tekno driveshaft rubbing underneath the front part of chassis. I used a sanding tool to shave down where it was rubbing. Problem fixed.
    I did this same thing last week as well. A bit of grinding with the Dremel and all was good.

RC Enthusiast
    That's looking good taco box .I just need the tekno driveshaft Traxxas front driveshaft and the Traxxas XO1 differential and I will be all set
    Fishing or driving it like i stole it traxxas

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcgeorge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    I did this same thing last week as well. A bit of grinding with the Dremel and all was good.
    X3...I saw someone else talking about this in another thread, sure enough it had been rubbing on mine as well. It was pretty much done grinding on mine, but I took a Dremel to it anyways to give it a couple more mm's. Also, I had a grub walk out on the Tekno driveshaft, so make sure you use some Loctite. That made a heck of a racket.

The other, more subtle noise might be your pinion mesh, or just the motor in general. I'm not sure how much you tinkered on the motor before putting it in, but those big old magnets make the motor pretty tough to turn over. As far as mesh goes, my goal is to get the gears as close as possible, but still have enough room so that I can move one ever so slightly without the other ones moving. Just a teeny bit of play.

RC Qualifier
    I'll have to check that out. I'll look at clearance on the drive shaft tomorrow. But I started trim in on the VW bug body

I'm seriously debating buying the Traxxas 2200 motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    X3...I saw someone else talking about this in another thread, sure enough it had been rubbing on mine as well. It was pretty much done grinding on mine, but I took a Dremel to it anyways to give it a couple more mm's. Also, I had a grub walk out on the Tekno driveshaft, so make sure you use some Loctite. That made a heck of a racket.

The other, more subtle noise might be your pinion mesh, or just the motor in general. I'm not sure how much you tinkered on the motor before putting it in, but those big old magnets make the motor pretty tough to turn over. As far as mesh goes, my goal is to get the gears as close as possible, but still have enough room so that I can move one ever so slightly without the other ones moving. Just a teeny bit of play.
    Well said, on how to set gear mesh. Those instructions should be printed out somewhere. And very nice build Tacobox.
    Last edited by davew; 03-31-2016 at 12:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Slapped the e-maxx body on just for grins. I'm kind of digging the lowered truck open wheel body look.

RC Qualifier
    Looks familiar

RC Qualifier
    Not sure if you will be able to see it. If you drill different holes for the mounting posts the holes will line up.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, I did that for my son's MT slash ultimate. I think I need some stiffer springs for his rig.

But I think it looks even better slammed low and SC tires, and you might notice I hacked my rpm bumper a few inches and screwed it in closer to the body.
    Last edited by Tacobox; 03-31-2016 at 11:35 AM.

RC Racer
    Yup, I did that for my son's MT slash ultimate. I think I need some stiffer springs for his rig.

But I think it looks even better slammed low and SC tires, and you might notice I hacked my rpm bumper a few inches and screwed it in closer to the body.
    Do you know what the diff. between the T and the E MAXX bodies is?
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    Not really much difference I think. Other than home cut in bed for nitro motor.

Sorry folks, took a few days off from the internet. I've been calling and for Val in time for a 6 hour tattoo session. When I get the trucks up and going I'll add more.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-03-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    What the heck did I write...lol

Traveling and getting tattoos is what I meant. LOL

I have some buggy wheels coming like these. Hope the 6mm HR adaptor is enough.....Time will tell!
    I put a set of 2.8 primes on for a quick run....VERRY INTERESTING!!!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

The Platinum M.O.B build up

I am interested in how the 6mm adaptor works as well. Keep us posted!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast