RC Competitor

Cool Trenchers or Mashers?

So I find that whenever I roll my 'pede over 8 times (give or take some), I rip the glue seam for about 2 inches on the outside of the rim. Bought the glue and fixed it but would rather keep them as spares.
    Was thinking about getting Trenchers or Mashers (2.8") so I don't have to change anything (gearing and such) and without burning out the engine. I have a big backyard with short grass, tall grass, hills, mud, asphalt/cement, ravines, and gravel.
    Any suggestions on which ones would be better for the noted terrain along with jumping. Thinking about actually making a decent track with dirt/grass.
    Adriano C.
    Moded 'Pede 44

The trenchers should be better than the mashers but I have not used the mashers. The trenchers are better off road (I believe) but the mashers give it more of the monster truck look. I would recommend going down a tooth on the pinion because of the slightly larger diameter and increased grip.
    Too much power is just enough

RC Competitor
    Is that the extra one that it comes with or would I have to go buy a different one? From what I understood, if you stay 2.8" you don't have to. Guy I talked to may have his facts wrong though.
    Adriano C.
    Moded 'Pede 44

The proline 2.8s have a tiny bit bigger diameter and way more grip than the stock tires. The pinion that came with it is the speed pinion so you will have to find out what the tooth count of your stampede is and then go one tooth lower.

RC Qualifier
    Stock talon tires are actually slightly larger than Trenchers, only by .05 inch. The VXL comes with 11 tooth installed and the optional 17 for speed. As for what you need to run, given your terrain, I'd say stick with the 11.

RC Racer
    I just replaced my stock talons with trenchers last week. They are slightly taller but not enough that you would need to play with the gearing unless you were into serious racing or just like to tinker like me. They have way better grip van talons also so you may need to loosen the slipper clutch if you start doing backflips.

Also the trenchers look very good.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    I just replaced my stock talons with trenchers last week. They are slightly taller but not enough that you would need to play with the gearing unless you were into serious racing or just like to tinker like me. They have way better grip van talons also so you may need to loosen the slipper clutch if you start doing backflips.

Also the trenchers look very good.
    Do you find with the Trenchers you get more traction rolls?flips ?

Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    Stock talon tires are actually slightly larger than Trenchers, only by .05 inch.
    I stand corrected.

RC Racer
    I have ordered some Mashers for mine but they are yet to arrive. I did compare the XL5 chevron tyres against the Talons and they are larger than the talons. I had ran these on my VXL previously with no issues but they are now back on my lad's car. So I don't think Trenchers or Mashers if they are a tad larger will cause any issues.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    Do you find with the Trenchers you get more traction rolls?flips ?
    It's been an odd week with the weather and my travels for work so I haven't been running and my normal spots since I got the new tires. I have also been working with a new motor so I am running faster than I was previously. But I certainly would expect to see more flips with my new higher speeds and the grippyer tires.

I do have the swaybar kit installed and will probably switch to the black sway bars from the silver sway bars to try and combat this problem.

The Talons are cheap. I dislike them since they got a hole ripped in them and foam flew out

RC Qualifier
    It's been an odd week with the weather and my travels for work so I haven't been running and my normal spots since I got the new tires. I have also been working with a new motor so I am running faster than I was previously. But I certainly would expect to see more flips with my new higher speeds and the grippyer tires.

I do have the swaybar kit installed and will probably switch to the black sway bars from the silver sway bars to try and combat this problem.
    Thanks for the reply !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Another good off road option for tires are the 2.8 badlands which is basically a dirtbike tire. I mounted mine on ofna wheels and they are by far the best off-road tire I've owned and I've had trenchers, mashers, along with a bunch of others.

Member of the triple digit club 100mph p4de

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    Another good off road option for tires are the 2.8 badlands which is basically a dirtbike tire. I mounted mine on ofna wheels and they are by far the best off-road tire I've owned and I've had trenchers, mashers, along with a bunch of others.

Member of the triple digit club 100mph p4de
    Yea, I run these on my Maxx 3.3 Brushless conversion and while they are perfectly fine tires, I just don't like their looks. Like you say, they look more like a dirt bike tire than a truck tire.

Yea, I run these on my Maxx 3.3 Brushless conversion and while they are perfectly fine tires, I just don't like their looks. Like you say, they look more like a dirt bike tire than a truck tire.
    I would rather have performance than looks lol, I still have these for when I want the truck tire look.
    Then I have my mild speedrun tires

RC Racer
    Mashers are fine on road and sand and they don't balloon too much. On grass they have very little traction. Trenchers balloon too much. Badlands balloon too much...I actually find the traxxas response pro were pretty good on grass and they don't balloon too much. And they are quite a bit cheaper than all the prolines~

Quote Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post
    Mashers are fine on road and sand and they don't balloon too much. On grass they have very little traction. Trenchers balloon too much. Badlands balloon too much...I actually find the traxxas response pro were pretty good on grass and they don't balloon too much. And they are quite a bit cheaper than all the prolines~
    The trenchers I had did balloon but they were premounts, since I upgraded to 17mm I mount my own tires and all the sets I have for my p4de including the mashers and badlands are taped and do not balloon any at all hardly and I run 4s only. You are right about mashers not getting much traction on grass lol. However the badlands have excellent grip on grass, sand, dirt, etc. very hard too keep my front down now, I loosened my slipper a good bit since they grip so well.