RC poster

Clicking in the Drive Train

Hi all... Just got my cars out for the season and was running them in the driveway - and ended up messing up my e-revo... driveshaft looks fine - pretty sure the noise if from the transmission... Any ideas? just the clutch? or did I mess up the gears - is one of the transmissions I see on Amazon a good idea? or is there a rebuild kit? I am a little bit of newbie so welcome any help!!

Welcome to the forum and this great hobby of ours.

First check if your slipper clutch is properly set. Tighten all the way and then loosen to 1//4 or 1/2 counter clockwise.

Before running the truck after storage like that , always verify that all bolts and nuts are all tight in place, verify that all your wheels nuts are also tight etc. to make sure that nothing can hinder the drive line.

Slipper clutch assembly 5351 and 5352r, aluminum pads hd upgrades are good for th erevo"

If that still cicks too, verify that all the wheel bearings are not seized, after that yo go into teh diffs etc. Transmission is very rare to break, I have had mine for ever, never replaced....no damages either, if your truck is fairly new, I doubt if the bearings too are done but those too could be checked.
    Live life to the fullest

Diffs are a common point of failure in the revo and maxx lines. Often the ring gear or spiders get chipped and worn and end up with missing teeth.

Hold the truck off the ground and spin the tires with the throttle a bit. Now place a load on the front diff by putting the front tires into sand or dirt while still applying some throttle. If the clicking gets louder and worse, i would suspect front diff problems. Likely a chipped or stripped gear. Then, do the same for the rear.

You can sorta do the same with the spider gears. To test them in vehicle, hold 1 wheel while applying some throttle. This test requires more gentle throttle. Now load the other wheel again by sticking it into the ground. Feel and listen for the clicking getting louder and rougher.

If your truck passes these tests, maybe you should look somewhere else besides the diff. Perhaps the axle carriers and wheel bearings? If the noise is consistantly happening when one specific wheel is rotated, i would check the wheel bearongs and axles.
    Last edited by MaXXL; 04-02-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Qualifier
    Check wheel nuts?

RC poster
    Great tests... Following this it seems to be the "rear end" with the issue... Looks like a rear diff? I think I messed up the front diff last year. I enjoying repairing them - but wish it was a few less repairs sometimes! But I know it is my driving and the tires I added causing most of the issues... Anyone know of a "heavy duty" option for longer life difs?

RC poster
    OK - looks like I had an extra "full differential" kit on hand... so decided to go ahead and throw it in and see - and the clicking is solved... I had blown up the rear differential... still have it and will rebuild it when the parts come in... and given that I had to have the car apart... I went ahead and changed out the rear housing to aluminum, upgraded the A-Arms and replaced the steering blocks... All went well except the Steering blocks - outside bearing didn't fit - so I have some new ones on order... Hopefully they fit. Thanks for the help again - as soon as I get my bearings in - I will be ready to break something else. )

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the update! So many members drive-by-post and are never heard from again.

Yeah im experimenting with my diffs currently trying to find a solution. Ive blown 3 diffs now in the 1 year ive had this truck. So im gonna try shimming them and see how that goes.

Too bad there arent any aftermarket drop in diffs. I sure cant afford any of the 1/8 diff options except for the lst but i dont like the idea of modding my bulks everytime i need to replace them.

So im gonna try to get the most out of the stock setup and see if it will last.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

I did the lst 2 dif mod and man its great, after reading many ...many threads, I decided to go full halt on the casings and barely the bulks so I am hoping my bulks will last, even if it should not, it is way cheaper to replace then stock rebuild diffs each time they are blown.

My initial test on 6s is outstanding, it hold on very well, I have a couple of mod 1 robisnosn pinions and even thinking of using the traxxas revo spur gears as I have plenty
    Live life to the fullest