RC Competitor

Post X-Maxx Rolls Over Easily. What to do?

Hey guys,

Just got my X-Maxx a few days ago and I have a small isssue. On grass it tends to roll over way to easily. I'm not going at full speed or anything just normal/medium speeds and when I try to do a hard turn it rolls over.

Is there something I can do to make this better?

Do I tighten the springs or am I suppose to loosen them more?

Let you me know what kind of tuning are you guys using.

Thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunior View Post
    Hey guys,

Just got my X-Maxx a few days ago and I have a small isssue. On grass it tends to roll over way to easily. I'm not going at full speed or anything just normal/medium speeds and when I try to do a hard turn it rolls over.

Thanks
    Loosen the springs

RC Qualifier
    shock limiting cables
    fabricator

Slow down. Can't turn a full size car at full speed in the grass and not expect it to roll over either.
    "RED"

RC Racer
    Yep, slowing down is pretty much all we can do. I'm really hoping some sway bars will be made for the truck, even though that takes away from some of it's monster truckness! And I'd buy some limiting straps if they were made also. Without them, it's impossible to raise the spring collars much beyond the stock position because then the springs become unsupported when the shock is decompressed like when the truck is in the air.

RC Qualifier
    Shorter and wider tires always help but right now there are few options. You can buy spacers and then proline trenchers for the Baja5T rear. I did that and it turns a lot tighter now. Outside of that just slowing down is the only option.

RC poster
    Read up on the stability feature, I think you can adjust it on the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Max6XMaxx View Post
    I'm really hoping some sway bars will be made for the truck, even though that takes away from some of it's monster truckness!
    Monster jam actually requires sway bars on the trucks. In fact I think one truck has a dual sway bar system on the front.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Also don't forget basic RC driving techniques. Brake before the turn and then accelerate through the turn. Letting off throttle in the turn or braking in the turn transfers the weight and momentum to the outside front wheel, which often causes the truck to flip. Practice will tell you how much throttle you can apply for best stability.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    GPM makes offset hexes that give 4mm per side. Not too much, but worth a try I think.

I would steer clear of offset hexes with this rig. Just like in a full size vehicle, offsetting wheels puts a strain on the bearings. When you start adding leverage to the knuckles and bearings with offset hexes, you'll start to see more damage as you "play".
    "RED"

RC Qualifier
    Gpm also makes parts to move the shocks

RC Racer
    @Nitro has it right - except this isn't specific to RC, it applies to almost any type of motor racing (except for rallye driving & drifting).

- approach at the outside edge of the curve
    - slow down until you hit the apex (middle point, inside edge of the curve)
    - accelerate from the apex through the outside (hit the outside edge of the curve into straight line)

Watch cockpit view from a few races on youtube, or play Gran Turismo for a bit It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

And yes spring height makes a big difference. I drove in the woods behind my house this past weekend, I jacked up the truck to the max to have more ground clearance and it was flipping a LOT more.

Lower the center of gravity (unless you need ground clearance) this will help.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunior View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    If your truck roll's over from side to side you can lower the truck down a 2 or3 inch's by rap'ping a couple of thick (white) cable tie's around both set's upper and lower arm's on each side All 4 corners and pull it down a bit that will lower the center of gravity and help it from rolling over so easy.

RC Racer
    While it's true that offset wheels or hexes put more strain on the bearings and knuckles, I don't think it will make a big difference in practice. Back in the Savage days it was common practice to run 12mm (1/2 inch) offset wheels because the truck would roll over all the time on higher grip surfaces like grass. It didn't cause noticable problems, although I was always jumping it high (and landing it wrong...cough).

RC Racer
    Offset wheels also put strain on directional mechanics.

Every vehicle we see on the road and well-engineered RC vehicles use Ackerman Steering geometry. This insures that each front wheel is turning at the correct radius. The inside radius of a curve is always smaller than the outside radius. Therefore, both wheels must NOT turn at the same angle.

People who put spacers on their wheels (it's very common here with young punks driving cheap pickup trucks) don't realize they break the Ackerman geometry and this adds a lot of stress on tires, bearings, tie rod ends, cv joints as well as screws up with ECUs / car computers that handle traction control and ABS braking based on the speed and direction of each wheel.

In other words: don't do it You may not notice much adverse effect on an RC vehicle but on an actual car, it's a terrible idea to mess with directional geometry.

RC Qualifier
    My truck handles very well stock springs 50 wt oil.front collars all the up rear turn down a bit

RC Racer
    In other words: don't do it You may not notice much adverse effect on an RC vehicle but on an actual car, it's a terrible idea to mess with directional geometry.
    You mean, don't do it on R/C cars because it's not good for real cars? Maybe we should all stop jumping our R/C cars, I hear jumping is not good for suspension alignment (and general structural integrity) on real cars

As I see it, there are different ways to fix that rollover problem, they all have their advantages and disadvantages, you cannot just say 'do this' or 'don't do that'.

RC Racer

Apologies. I didn't express myself properly, that's not how I meant it. *My two cents* is that it's crucial that wheels be aligned. It's just that. Ackerman is just a name, a principle that explains how and why wheels should be aligned. It applies to both real and r/c because science. I don't mean to tell anyone what to do ; )

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    You mean, don't do it on R/C cars because it's not good for real cars? Maybe we should all stop jumping our R/C cars, I hear jumping is not good for suspension alignment (and general structural integrity) on real cars

As I see it, there are different ways to fix that rollover problem, they all have their advantages and disadvantages, you cannot just say 'do this' or 'don't do that'.
    Lol, you hit the nail on the head. I don't get this whole "you'll eat bearings by running wider offset". First of all, no you won't for the most part and even if you did wear them faster, they are $1.

This same misinformation is found in the Savage world where you are scolded for running wider offsets. These are bashers, not competition racer kits.

RC Racer
    Because you don't get it doesn't mean it's misinformation

It's science. It's well documented. It's thought in schools. It's ok to not get it - I'm an engineer myself and there's an infinity amount of stuff I "don't get" we're all humans

Read my previous post - I was wrong to say "don't to it".
    I meant : here's some supporting science, I think this is valuable to understand when experimenting with steering geometry. Now go and experiment as you may, that's the beauty of it everyone is free to tune as they want.

Just.. Please don't call it "misinformation". You don't have to agree, that's quite alright. But it is very solid information. wiki: ackermann

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnosis View Post
    Because you don't get it doesn't mean it's misinformation

It's science. It's well documented. It's thought in schools. It's ok to not get it - I'm an engineer myself and there's an infinity amount of stuff I "don't get" we're all humans

Read my previous post - I was wrong to say "don't to it".
    I meant : here's some supporting science, I think this is valuable to understand when experimenting with steering geometry. Now go and experiment as you may, that's the beauty of it everyone is free to tune as they want.

Just.. Please don't call it "misinformation". You don't have to agree, that's quite alright. But it is very solid information. wiki: ackermann

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Good post!