Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Post What ESC to use on X-Maxx?

Hello,

Wanted to get some feedback on which ESC would be best to upgrade on the X-Maxx?

I've heard many people stating that the ESC on this truck is decent but that it comes a little short when too much load is put on it.

I upgraded my pinion gear and spur gear to 18/50 and some folks say that this causes some stress on the ESC and may cause overheat.

I already have fans on the motor and 2 30mm fans on the ESC.

But just for peace of mind would like to know what ESC would be a good upgrade.

I don't want to change my motor or anything else.

Just the ESC.

Let me know.

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After reading thru a few forum threads and posts I'm leaning towards purchasing the Hobbywing Max6 ESC. I'm sure others will chime in on their ESC preference.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    After reading thru a few forum threads and posts I'm leaning towards purchasing the Hobbywing Max6 ESC. I'm sure others will chime in on their ESC preference.
    Do you know a good website where I can look to purchase this?
    Last edited by Double G; 04-06-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This is the one I currently have on my ebay watchlist

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351684618386...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

RC Champion
    I have the Max5 esc,
    Last edited by Double G; 04-06-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: banned

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunior View Post
    Hello,

Wanted to get some feedback on which ESC would be best to upgrade on the X-Maxx?

I've heard many people stating that the ESC on this truck is decent but that it comes a little short when too much load is put on it.

I upgraded my pinion gear and spur gear to 18/50 and some folks say that this causes some stress on the ESC and may cause overheat.

I already have fans on the motor and 2 30mm fans on the ESC.

But just for peace of mind would like to know what ESC would be a good upgrade.

I don't want to change my motor or anything else.

Just the ESC.

Let me know.

Thanks
    go with the hobbywing max 6 esc . I put it in my x-maxx and its nothing short of awesome. you can get it on hobbywing north America.
    Fortenwinkler

RC Competitor
    Max 6 is a good choice. I couldn't believe the difference it made in my truck. Once you do it buy more axle pins!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Hobbywing max6 is great. Had nothing but problems with the Traxxas one, after 5 months of waiting for a warranty replacement which I still haven't got I got the max6 and love it!

RC Qualifier
    Max6 here also with the stock motor on 8s. Geared 18/54. Crazy but in the zone of controlled crazy. IŽam able to go flat out on a big field or similar.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    Max6 here also with the stock motor on 8s. Geared 18/54. Crazy but in the zone of controlled crazy. IŽam able to go flat out on a big field or similar.
    Ok, I will go with the Max6.

I'm kind of new to the RC world so if someone can help me with a few questions that would be great.

Does the Max6 come with installation instructions?

Can I still adapt the Traxxas ID plugs with the new ESC? (I hope so cuz it would suck if I have to use different ones. That means I would have to buy new batteries since the ones I have are Traxxas ID plug batteries)

Let me know what else I would need to get this installed?

Thanks everyone

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

I'm kind of new to the RC world so if someone can help me with a few questions that would be great.

Can I still adapt the Traxxas ID plugs with the new ESC? (I hope so cuz it would suck if I have to use different ones. That means I would have to buy new batteries since the ones I have are Traxxas ID plug batteries)

Thanks everyone
    The Max6 comes with double sided tape to install in your truck. check the link below for further details on installation

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=max6

Unfortunately I haven't seen or heard of someone being able to solder up the ID connectors. Even if you have to use the older style Traxxas connectors on the Max6 ESC, you DO NOT have to buy new batteries. The old style connectors will still plug right into your new style ID battery connector. Hopefully others who have the Max6 ESC can chime in on this subject. I'd appreciate it as well.

RC Champion

Thanks everyone
    You need to get castle 6.5mm bullet connectors(too for esc to motor and trx male connectors for esc to batteries,so be ready to do some soldering

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    You need to get castle 6.5mm bullet connectors(too for esc to motor and trx male connectors for esc to batteries,so be ready to do some soldering

Never mind about the bullet connectors u won't need it since u have Max6.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    @Yunior in the link I pasted in post #4 above, I confirmed with that seller that they come with authentic Traxxas connectors so no soldering need. Your ID batteries will work. Ebay is the cheapest site I've seen this ESC priced at.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 04-07-2016 at 11:47 AM.

RC Champion
    @Yunior in the link I pasted in post #2 above, I confirmed with that seller that they come with authentic Traxxas connectors so no soldering need. Your ID batteries will work. Ebay is the cheapest site I've seen this ESC priced at.
    Well that's not fair my Max5 didn't come with Traxxas connectors,I had to solder all wires:/

RC Champion
    I'm going to give the traxxas connectors and the stock esc a chance. I bought the blue tooth module to edit whatever settings i can. If i don't like it the stock electronics will be hitting ebay lol
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    I'm going to give the traxxas connectors and the stock esc a chance. I bought the blue tooth module to edit whatever settings i can. If i don't like it the stock electronics will be hitting ebay lol
    I thought i wouldnt have to change the ESC like everyone was doing until i geared to 18/54. My esc is constantly hitting thermal protection after only 5-7 minutes. So i figured i'd upgrade to the Max6 soon.

RC Champion
    I thought i wouldnt have to change the ESC like everyone was doing until i geared to 18/54. My esc is constantly hitting thermal protection after only 5-7 minutes. So i figured i'd upgrade to the Max6 soon.
    I've read the newest iteration runs cooler so we shall see. I don't plan on gearing the truck any higher then 18/54.

RC Champion
    I've ran 18/50 & 23/50 for speed test even at full throttle at most@70-76* weather but never triggered thermal shut off.

RC Champion
    I've ran 18/50 & 23/50 for speed test even at full throttle at most@70-76* weather but never triggered thermal shut off.
    At some point i will want this truck to do standing backflips like my savage did. Then i will upgrade motor and esc.

RC Champion
    At some point i will want this truck to do standing backflips like my savage did. Then i will upgrade motor and esc.
    At both of those gearing I ran,truck still does wheelies and backflips not so much on 23/50...
    This weekend I'll be running 23/46 with my Max5 esc installed already,can't wait to see what happens

RC Champion
    At both of those gearing I ran,truck still does wheelies and backflips not so much on 23/50...
    This weekend I'll be running 23/46 with my Max5 esc installed already,can't wait to see what happens
    Post a video or two. I see losi is coming out with a gas 1/5 monster truck. Looks mammoth haha. I prefer electric though.

RC Champion
    Post a video or two. I see losi is coming out with a gas 1/5 monster truck. Looks mammoth haha. I prefer electric though.
    Yes I will try to post video this weekend,Losi coming out with a 1/5MT, but I wonder what the price range will be though...I will be getting me a 1/5 MT also in the near future but of course I'll be keeping my Xmaxx too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've read the newest iteration runs cooler so we shall see. I don't plan on gearing the truck any higher then 18/54.
    Probably so. My X-Maxx is the first batch pre-ordered from towerhobbies.

18/54 was perfect for me.

RC Enthusiast
    Stock with 8s! Awesome! How is it holding up? I'm tempted but haven't tried it yet with the max6

RC Qualifier
    Have probably completed around 30 charges on 8s now, geared 18/54 with the stock motor. No problems yet! With a locked slipper

RC Champion
    Have probably completed around 30 charges on 8s now, geared 18/54 with the stock motor. No problems yet! With a locked slipper
    Have u tried 18/50 with 8s on stock motor?

RC Competitor
    So what exactly is the difference in changing stock ESC with for example the Max 6? I hear a lot of people saying that it is WAY better but i'm trying to figure out exactly what it does.

Does it give it more power?

More speed?

RC Competitor
    @Yunior in the link I pasted in post #4 above, I confirmed with that seller that they come with authentic Traxxas connectors so no soldering need. Your ID batteries will work. Ebay is the cheapest site I've seen this ESC priced at.
    So the Max 6 comes with the Traxxas connector which can connect to my Battery ID connector?

I just can't seem to find anybody doing an unboxing and seeing the Traxxas connectors with the Max 6 package.

Am i missing something here or is it like a new version of the Max 6 ESC that comes with the Traxxas connectors?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So the Max 6 comes with the Traxxas connector which can connect to my Battery ID connector?

I just can't seem to find anybody doing an unboxing and seeing the Traxxas connectors with the Max 6 package.

Am i missing something here or is it like a new version of the Max 6 ESC that comes with the Traxxas connectors?
    I can't speak for anyone else who purchased the MAX6 but the link i posted above (which is sold out now) comes with Traxxas connectors. I even confirmed that with the seller. Again, the older style traxxas connectors will work just fine with the ID connectors.

RC Racer
    Using the max 6 what connectors should you put on? The xmaxx ones look different to other traxxad connectors?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by olliewog View Post
    Using the max 6 what connectors should you put on? The xmaxx ones look different to other traxxad connectors?
    U can use the old version trx connectors it will plug right in with the Xmaxx

RC Racer
    Thanks. Is there a difference in using the old Vs the new connectors ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by olliewog View Post
    Thanks. Is there a difference in using the old Vs the new connectors ?
    There is no difference in performance.

RC Qualifier
    Isn't the Max 6 limited to 6S?
    The Max 5 can take 8S 'though and is an altogether bigger beast.

Depends on what you want to do / how fast you want to go and how much $$$ you can spare end of the day.

Al.

RC Enthusiast
    Nope, max6 is rated for 8s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Isn't the Max 6 limited to 6S?
    The Max 5 can take 8S 'though and is an altogether bigger beast.

Depends on what you want to do / how fast you want to go and how much $$$ you can spare end of the day.

Al.
    For some who want to just run 6s, the MAx6 is just fine. Having the Max5 would be overkill. Being "limited to 6s" isn't a bad thing.

RC Qualifier
    Both the max5 and the max 6 takes 8s. I'm running the max6, stock motor, geared 18/54 emptying 10000mah 8S packs in 20 minutes, really pushing the electronics in high grass and such, the esc have been flawless the last 30 packs.

If you are using a bigger motor and taller gearing pulling more amps you might want the max5. Otherwise the max6 is plenty and then some for 8s running.
    Last edited by Manne; 04-15-2016 at 12:26 AM.

RC Champion
    Both the max5 and the max 6 takes 8s. I'm running the max6, stock motor, geared 18/54 emptying 10000mah 8S packs in 20 minutes, really pushing the electronics in high grass and such, the esc have been flawless the last 30 packs.

If you are using a bigger motor and taller gearing pulling more amps you might want the max5. Otherwise the max6 is plenty and then some for 8s running.
    Your running 8s in parallel right?im thinking going that way..

RC Qualifier
    Nope. Four batterys totaly, all 4s. Two and two paralell connected in series after the paralell adapter .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast