RC Enthusiast

Cool Revo 3.3 Upgrades

So I recently received my Revo 3.3, broke in the engine and have driven it a handful of times since I received it & I am no to impressed with the power/top speed. I was wondering what upgrades you guys would suggest to get the most out of it.

get a set of sway bars and e revo rear wing, upgrade only when something break as the revo is tough enough to hold the power of the stock engine, if you have extra cash switch to single servo, savox and hitec are your top choices be sure to get 200oz of torque and above, a fuel line filter is also a good investment for your engine, always perform after run maintenance as it will help your engines life. good luck and welcome to the forum, post pics of your new toy lol..

Welcome to the forum and this great hobby of ours

Yeah, I just love the tourque of the revo; sound and smell....just awsome.

+1 on the sway bars, I am using the single servo hitec sh7954hs, and on my erervo a futaba S9157.

Have fun bashing and tweaking away
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Any suggestions on
    Spur Gear Size
    Air Filter Set Up
    Pipes

Anything to give it that extra boost of speed and bottom end?
    Last edited by °RcNightmare°; 04-06-2016 at 06:10 PM.

I build mine from a roller and learning the curve of nitro as I go.

I bought right away the traxxas resonator even though I got two blue ones with the rollers . Removed reverse and put a wide ratio robnsons transmision gear with 34t spur (will have to re-check, forgot which one I got ) and 16t bell clutch, using the traxxas clutch pads..so far so good.

Lots of people have and are also using the losi 3.4 carb which I have but damaged the carb body from over scewing the hsn set up, will master this then get that one again...a rebuild kit definetely....

Right now I have rebuild a 3.3 and will put it back on one of my revos, on the other I just cleaned ou a dynamite mach 2 .19 and that too feels promising, so far I likethe 3.3 I got o a membre and the two I have rebuilt (one is sitting as a spare now)
    I also got two 2.5 that I willpower up trough traxxas and keep them too....

For air filter I am using the 3.3, reasonably priced and happy with the double filter, using a durbo fuel filter....I think it odes a great job..
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-06-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet! Thanks man! Sounds like you have a killer set up! Hopefully one day I will know as much about nitro/electric cars as you! I would definitely like to see some videos or clips of your cars running they sound beast!

RC poster
    When you say your not impressed with its performance are you comparing it to something else or just in general? What I mean is I could say I'm not to impressed with its performance either but I've also had an hpi proceed with a novarossi motor on it that would do 90 mph. On the other hand, the revo is a completely different animal and much more durable than road rc racers and in my opinion more fun. They should pull the front wheels off the ground and run pretty good on top end also if tuned correctly but they won't run with an electric revo or street nitro. Maybe you could clarify
    Last edited by stxr814; 04-06-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Electric and nitro are not comparable at all, but the fun factor definetely, the two are different and same in many ways. Then again if you put a bigblock engine.....just saying, just maybe but the thrill factor will be just as awsome even though it may not catch up to an electric...

If you want extreme speed runs electric will outdo anything...bashing and stunts or shows, electric is more controllable.Now you put both on the same track, you will see that they wont be far from each other.

When I ran out of batteries offcourse, nitro willlast forever, thats after 5 hours with both electric and nitro, summer time is just awsome especially when you have a huge crowd bashing at a spot.

I am impressed that such a little engine could produce such a torque and smell and sound, though defening justs adds a touch of vivid reality on the little guy....

When I want to enjoy my rcs close by at home, electric definetely, now and then not to annoy the neighbours I go out to enjoy the nature with all of them where the noise of nitro is not so annoying for some...
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-06-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Don't get me wrong at all I love the truck overall. I think k top end is what disappointed me, it just seems like it should be capable of more then what you get speed wise. I'm use to running Jato's which may be why I'm disapointed. The truck overall is great and I'm so happy with my purchase, and I do need to give it the benefit of the doubt it is a "monster truck". I just feel like I need more top end. It is an awesome basher though! The bottom end is almost perfect just need a little more speed! I WANNA GO FAST!! HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by °RcNightmare° View Post
    Don't get me wrong at all I love the truck overall. I think k top end is what disappointed me, it just seems like it should be capable of more then what you get speed wise. I'm use to running Jato's which may be why I'm disapointed. The truck overall is great and I'm so happy with my purchase, and I do need to give it the benefit of the doubt it is a "monster truck". I just feel like I need more top end. It is an awesome basher though! The bottom end is almost perfect just need a little more speed! I WANNA GO FAST!! HAHAHA
    No experience on the jato but then the weight comparison between the max and jato would be like goliath and david....I guess yeah you would feel the difference.

Do check on the losi carb and also the resonator pipe, it may help a bit, apparently the THS one too is great but I have not experimented beyond what I have at the moment.

Curious what fuel are you running? I have used only the sidewinder 25% and 12% oil but wouldlike to try the 30% to see what the engine will be like....
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-06-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    I am using RedMax 20%. I'm also wanting to switch to 30% possibly after I run out of the fuel I have.

Switching to 30% means more power, but higher engine temperature do to less lubrication correct?

I am using RedMax 20%. I'm also wanting to switch to 30% possibly after I run out of the fuel I have.

Switching to 30% means more power, but higher engine temperature do to less lubrication correct?
    I think it depends on the brand, get a higher grading fuel but with a decent amount of lubrication too. Lots recommend staying with the same brand and not to change fuel so often as it would dammage the engine. Re-tuning will be defenitely necessary in adjusting the mixture for the new fuel...
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering what changing the servo does? Like you said you had the Hitec sh7954hs. What does that do or make better?

This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering what changing the servo does? Like you said you had the Hitec sh7954hs. What does that do or make better?
    Basically the dual servos at one point or other will fight with each other (thus you will have to re-centre them, re-align your wheells etc)...so a single servo modification has proven (done by many other before me) to have eliminated that factor.

The idea is to get a single servo that has a equal or higher torque than the two tsok servos combined. The truck will turn better and you will not have to worry about servos fighting against each other.

I am going to put my futaba S9157 from my erevo into the revo as it gives a torque of 425 oz at 6v, I am running 2s Life batteries for the receiver that is 6v max , cheaper than the Nimh receiver pack that I never used, more stable than Lipo with the same result, they will not get slugish as a Nimh pack will, I just have to get an alarm and set an lvc for it so that I can stop the truck when hat happens or get sensors for my transmitter.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    So I guess my next question would be, what is needed that I buy to convert my 3.3 from a dual to a single servo? Sorry if these are dumb questions but the answers and help are great, I appreciate all the information you are giving me!

So I guess my next question would be, what is needed that I buy to convert my 3.3 from a dual to a single servo? Sorry if these are dumb questions but the answers and help are great, I appreciate all the information you are giving me!
    Get the single servo arm for the max if strc has them, mine is from strc and I think the bellcrank for the revoo and the max are the same...someone please correct me. But if so then you can get a the same single servo arm, get a metal geared high torque servo, some use savox but I have no experience on them..

Here is mine
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    I used a savox it is a great option.

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet! I am definitely going to look into that! Thank you again for all the help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew77 View Post
    I used a savox it is a great option.
    I found a Savox 208oz for $36.99. Not sure if that is a good deal or not, haven't ever really looked into them. I usually kept my Jato's and my last TMAXX stock. Never did a darn thing with them lol.

You will need something more than 250 oz. Stock has 125oz each (trx 2075).
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Haha, good thing I didn't go ahead a buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    The 5308 Revo - which I have - came with a single 2075 servo and that is all I run. I haven't had major issues with turning and have only burned one out (two 2070 servos for the throttle have burned out so far ). But I would agree that I need more turning power.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The 5308 Revo - which I have - came with a single 2075 servo and that is all I run. I haven't had major issues with turning and have only burned one out (two 2070 servos for the throttle have burned out so far ). But I would agree that I need more turning power.
    I actually went the single way only because I managed to burn two 2075, didi the metal gears mod on them and did not last long. Glad I went with the high torque servo, steering is night and day, feels like a different truck. So now I am slowly doing the same for my other rigs...each time a different brand so I can make my own pereception and review of each
    Live life to the fullest