RC Champion

summit & steering overhual

ive had my summit since early dec 2010. and since then it has been mostly original parts sept for the common replacments/ consumables and one motor. in that time ive done a bit of driving and the steering linkages are worn out, the pillow ball caps aren't staying in( after Teflon tape), and I've treid a set of rpm axle carriers( they're jokes bro). and the tires just keep wobbling. so the plan as it be, is to get all new rod ends, axle carriers, hubs ( have a find on a hub from the older savage platform that is a direct drop in and just need a 6x8x0.5 shim). pillow ball cups, and steering parts.

so I'am set on a couple parts. but I haven't been up on the summit parts for the past couple years and am asking your advice on the parts list that I have gotten together so far. and to ask if there is anything else I should or shouldn't get.

4 corners:
    trx revo rod ends
    strc st5334r- red axle carriers
    integy t3205silver- pillow ball caps
    possibly trx or HR ti or aluminum pillow balls.

servo saver mech:
    strc st5344as- aluminum pin holder for Front/r skid plate.

this Is what I have together so far. just now I'm looking for a aluminum servo saver in red. I was looking at strc or integy. but am wondering which is best. since they all have different designs to them. and last but not least a aluminum servo saver mount as well which the integy unit appears to have unlike the strc unit. but the strc unit has the option of a single servo arm. unlike the integy. hmmm.. and that's all i really need for the steering aspect.

driveshafts. my summits drive shafts, with the exception of 4 cv diff out puts. are original too. and are mushroomed beyond belief. so I'm looking at a cheap option for replacements. since the stockers alone are going to be about $120+ either by dollarehobbyz or hobby shop.
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Racer
    If your looking for improved steering I would upgrade the servo. I have never had trouble with my axle carriers or any of those parts. Here is my setup its mostly hot racing an strc. I have a single servo arm but just kept with the set hoping it had a better fit. The servo is a hitec hs-7950th. I also placed some shims between the screw and skid plate to get rid of some slop. No trouble with steering after that.

RC Qualifier
    Man, you drove the wheels off that Summit! I'm glad I didn't read this post earlier, I just hacked up my driveshafts with a hacksaw for my Summit LT build. Never would have done that if I'd known they cost that much to replace, lol. (That's a lie...still would have done it).

Good luck on your refresh. I wish I could help, but I've owned a Summit for about three weeks, and two of those have been spent hacking it up, lol. Why does everyone go single servo? Never understood that.
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    Man, you drove the wheels off that Summit! I'm glad I didn't read this post earlier, I just hacked up my driveshafts with a hacksaw for my Summit LT build. Never would have done that if I'd known they cost that much to replace, lol. (That's a lie...still would have done it).

Good luck on your refresh. I wish I could help, but I've owned a Summit for about three weeks, and two of those have been spent hacking it up, lol. Why does everyone go single servo? Never understood that.
    Eventualy the two sevos will fight against each other, then you will have recentre and align them. Single servo mod will liminate that.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Eventualy the two sevos will fight against each other, then you will have recentre and align them. Single servo mod will liminate that.
    Why though? Slop in the linkage? Or is it just one of those things that happens to aging servos?
    Slash, Street Rally, 4x4 /Slash, Summit LT, Aton.

Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    Why though? Slop in the linkage? Or is it just one of those things that happens to aging servos?
    Its so happens that even though the servos are aligned together properly, they will always be two different units, and two different electrical system, at one point they will go out of sync, even worse, since this is on a moving vehicle, when you have a front accident or just regular left and right turns, chances are something will move; may it be one servo link etc, so you will have to re align them again and again, also oe may burn out or wear out faster than the other, their current draw, though minimal may also have an effect on their functions to be in sync. If there is a linkage slop, one may work harder then the other, turning directions, when the wheels are either on the wider angle or the opposite, one of them will have more strain than the other....

Single servo eliminates a lot of that problem, and you will have to really and only align the wheels, once you have centred your single servo......I think less moving parts on this instance is better. Also if there is an accident , you have only one to re-centre, once again...instead of two and making sure they are in sync on the spot...
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-07-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    yes I've driven the wheels off the summit... actually replaced the a arms, bulks, and chassis in one go a year or so ago. and I have a single servo setup already just needing parts for the steering....

I'm going to try out the strc servo saver since its going to be the cheapest route, just sad that red anodized steering parts are hard to find to non existent. and am going to keep an eye out for gpm's aluminum steering rack mount. as well as look into integy's servo saver. I know northern adventure has the servo saver... and If it is working for him then its almost one stop shopping for me, servo saver and servo saver mount plus they have gun metal.... but no red

Hey reod12x2 sounds like nice project.

You are back from hyberantion, I am on a blue erevo project at the moment....not sure if am going to make it an extreme basher like my oyther one or a speedster machine...
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    ya I've been into some other hobbies since. mostly cycling, green and other odds and ends and plan on getting a motorcycle by years end. plus since I have moved so I don't really have the terrain this truck deserves. nor does it deserve to be used like the farm truck that never dies...

RC Champion
    awwhh Canada.... my lhs can get in a red integy servo saver oddly enough, and the strc axle carriers are due to be restocked by the end of the month as far as everything else there is nothing else they can get in...

so one integy servo saver and a 4/pc red axle carriers.

next pillow ball caps and servo saver bracket. anybody know any where I can find them? I've just checked ebay.ca for both and nothing is coming up for them.

RC Champion
    okay got the servo saver in from integy aswell as the strc axle carriers. just still having no luck finding a set of locking pillow ball caps. but I am considering drilling and taping the strc carriers so I can employ a grub screw, then just use new stock caps

also I'm going to redo the pivot balls and try my luck again with the rubber boots. just how do you guys keep them alive? the first and last time I replaced them they lasted about a couple hours before they were cut open or torn open.

and lastly anybody think corsa grey would look good on a summit? been bugging for a primer like paint job