RC poster

Owned Aton since release,first crash my fault?

Not new to the hobby,but new(ish) to the quads. I have owned the Aton since release around Christmas. I have about 30 hours of flight time in film mode,a couple battery cycles in sport and just a few minutes in expert.

Up until tonight it has been excellent. This was the 2nd flight since doing the LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE. Prior to this all my flights have been on the ORIGINAL firmware that came with the quad and they have been flawless. Well after the firmware update i haven't flown in sport/expert mode and i wanted to show my neighbor what it could do. Took the quad up about 40-50 feet in the air and went to do a left flip(drivers side if it were a vehicle),in the process the quad stopped rotation about 1/3rd of the way and headed straight to the ground(black top street). I tried correcting it but it was too late,smacked the ground pretty hard. One or more of the motors is making a noise at certain rpms(no props attached), it broke part #7925,7911,7918,all props and one of the motors is loose. Probably damaged more that i cant see without tearing into it. Also wondering if the processor/antenna on top of the grab handle might of gotten damaged during the crash?

I re-calibrated the quad after the firmware update yesterday and it seemed to be happy with the process. Didn't have any flying issues during normal flight,it was just the 1 flip that was attempted since update and it stopped rotation. Will be contacting traxxas tomorrow but anyone here think its something I have done? If it was indeed my fault,i dont mind replacing the parts. However with as many flawless flights as i have had i doubt it was due to operator error.

Anyone else experience this?

The only calibration required after the latest update that I'm aware of is for compass. Did you do more? I would think/expect that if you did more there should be no harm, just asking.
    Have you had any crashes? I slammed mine into a chain link fence (just bent props) and I had to re-calibrate. It's almost like a concussion.

RC poster
    From my understanding when doing the calibration you had to do everything(not just the compass). And this was the only crash i have had with my aton.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 02lightning2445 View Post
    From my understanding when doing the calibration you had to do everything(not just the compass). And this was the only crash i have had with my aton.
    Only the compass is required.

This happened to me a couple of times but both times I was in expert when I thought I was in Sport. Did you intend to be in expert mode? If so maybe your rates got turned down?

RC Competitor
    Had you ever calibrated it before or were you flying with factory calibration?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
    Only the compass is required.

This happened to me a couple of times but both times I was in expert when I thought I was in Sport. Did you intend to be in expert mode? If so maybe your rates got turned down?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
    Had you ever calibrated it before or were you flying with factory calibration?
    To my knowledge I was in sport mode as I only heard 1 beep from the controller while switching modes. And the aton was flown many many times the way it came right out of the box until yesterday. That was the first flight with the latest firmware and it was re-calibrated afterwards before flight.

RC Competitor
    Traxxas support is only a phone all away. you flying with SD card? If so they may want to look at it. Just guessing but from what you said I would send in for service. Usually the only charge will be to mail itin. Good luck.

RC poster
    yea i called them and they wanted to look at the quad. So i mailed it in thursday,they should have it monday going by the ups tracking #.

RC Competitor
    I know it sucks to not have your quad but you made a good choice. It will come back rtf.

RC poster
    yea,well you gotta do what you gotta do. I just worry that it got into the right hands. Ups says it was delivered today. The guy that i spoke to over the phone didnt give me a rma or anything. All i got was a pre-paid ups label.