Thread: ez80

RC poster

ez80

Just bought a new ez80 charger for my NiMh Batteries. Question regarding the discharge/charge process. It looks like I can discharge anywhere from .1 to 2. What is the benifit of discharging faster or slower? Thanks!

Charging slower will improve battery life. Although with these nimh batteries if you use too low of a current you will never charge them. Recommended charge rate is 1c. If you have a 5200mah pack charge it at 5.2 amps if you can.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Not sure why you would need to discharge them but discharging them and .1 amp will keep them cool and stable but take forever. Discharging at 2 amps will heat them up but will be way faster.
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

2A is still quite low considering what the discharge rate is when running in the RC. But if your doing a forming process I used 0.7C of the battery capacity. I haven't used Nimh in vehicles for a long time but still use this process for domestic Nimh's and serves me well.
    At 0.5C and lower I started to get problems.
    Last edited by trax de max; 04-16-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

Quote Originally Posted by dwestphal View Post
    Just bought a new ez80 charger for my NiMh Batteries. Question regarding the discharge/charge process. It looks like I can discharge anywhere from .1 to 2. What is the benifit of discharging faster or slower? Thanks!
    Discharging a NiMH is generally not necessary unless the batteries had not been used for extended periods of time which can result in a high self discharge rate ( battery won't hold the charge ) which a couple of charge / discharge cycles down to 1.0 cell voltage usually fixes. A discharge rate of up to 1C usually does the job for these conditioning cycles. Just note that chargers have a max. wattage limit so your may not achieve the discharge rate set point.