Thread: 32p Gear cover

RC Enthusiast

32p Gear cover

will traxxas 32p gears fit in the stock gearbox (with the cover fully fastened on and everything)? I need to know because i need to get my gears as quickly as possible. i currently run a 48p 23/86, but I'm looking to switch to 14/58, is this conversion correct?

Thx

No the cover will not fit with 32p, some have done mods to make it work IDK. With 32p you won't need the cover.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    No the cover will not fit with 32p, some have done mods to make it work IDK. With 32p you won't need the cover.
    Yup....Those big fat teeth spit most debris away.....
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Racer
    I've heard from enough sources to believe that there is something to this; that you can't run a gear cover with 32p gears...but... I have the Robinson Racing 32p slipper clutch (56 tooth) on both of my Slashes and I run the RPM gear cover on both trucks.

One of my Slashes has the RPM gearbox case, and the other has the stock Traxxas gearbox case. Both trucks fit the RPM gear cover with no modifications necessary.

As stated, I've heard many times that I shouldn't be able to fit this, so I'm confused as to why it seems to be working for me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    I've heard from enough sources to believe that there is something to this; that you can't run a gear cover with 32p gears...but... I have the Robinson Racing 32p slipper clutch (56 tooth) on both of my Slashes and I run the RPM gear cover on both trucks.

One of my Slashes has the RPM gearbox case, and the other has the stock Traxxas gearbox case. Both trucks fit the RPM gear cover with no modifications necessary.

As stated, I've heard many times that I shouldn't be able to fit this, so I'm confused as to why it seems to be working for me.

The Robinson gear is the only one I have heard fits the stock cover.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

32p Gear cover

See Hot Racing part numbers STE254, STE256, STE258, & STE260 for 32P spur gears that should fit under the gear cover.

I don't see the need for 32P in these vehicles, and certainly not steel 32P or 48P gears, but to each his own.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-15-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    @JerrysMaxx

Ah, that's helpful to know. I can stop wondering if I did something wrong, so thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    See Hot Racing part numbers STE254, STE256, STE258, & STE260 for 32P spur gears that should fit under the gear cover.

I don't see the need for 32P in these vehicles, and certainly not steel 32P or 48P gears, but to each his own.
    I agree, but I have a box of 32p from the 4x4....only reason I have......metal in the 4x4 is almost overkill.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

The 60 tooth will not fit. The diameter of the gear is too big. The 58 may fit in there, but its gonna be tight. 56 & 54 def will fit under the stock cover. You really dont need the cover with 32p gears tho, especially with the hot racing steel ones. You will need high quality hardened pinions if you do go to a steel spur. My 60t hr steel spur is 6 years old and still like new... Great product.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

I've been able to fit a 90t 48p gear under a cover. Are you sure a 60t 0.8mod gear will not fit?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

What is the benefit of the 32 pitch gears anyhow? Muddy environment? I drive in the dry desert environment and only run 48 pitch for tunability. Granted I am running scratch builds, but they are heavier than the OEM rig and I wouldn't have it any other way. I even run 48 pitch on the car with the center drive program, again, for FINE tuning on the gearing. In fact, my first build is still running the original gearing, and it has had probably 200 battery packs thru it, with minimal wear. Its a 10 lb car and I drive it like I stole it. However, my slash spur has been replaced twice, with half the mileage. Perhaps gear sizing is playing a role in that, I run a small spur on the scratchers.

RC Racer
    The benefit of the 32p gears is the extra strength of the larger teeth.

Is this benefit necessary? It doesn't seem to be. It can benefit newbs like me (2 years in the hobby) who haven't perfectly dialed in setting pitch yet, as the stronger gears are less prone to stripping. Of course, beefing up one part just moves the weak point to somewhere else...

My experience: I ran stock 48p gears with 2S LiPO for a while with no problems. I had a few hard landings on the rear of the truck and eventually stripped a gear. I also had some gears get stripped due to sand/dirt getting into the gear cover, which kind of annoyed me.

Ever since switching to steel, 32p gears (Robinson Racing Slipper Conversion) around 6 months ago, I haven't heard a peep from my pinion/spur. Now, steel, 32p gears are arguably overkill, but they've been solving my stripped spur problems in 2 Slashes ever since I installed them.

My transmission gears are also all metal now though, and in one Slash that had a plastic gear in the transmission, that plastic gear did get shredded. That might not have happened if my spur had been plastic. Now that all my gears are steel though, my drivetrains have been worry free... except that my plastic driveshafts take a beating...

RC Qualifier
    I love it when I come across a 48p spur gear without a tooth count printed on the side.