RC Qualifier

X-Maxx On Board Audio v2 Beep Beep

I wanted to add a horn to my OBA while still retaining the launch mode. Lot's of failures but finally figured it out. It's not cheap so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind you can do this with the 3ch transmitter if you don't want the launch mode.

When pulling the throttle the receiver tells the OBA to apply throttle to the ESC. If you flip the red switch on Ch3 the OBA cuts off the throttle to the ESC. The ESS One does not know that and still thinks you are applying throttle.

The ESS can do multiple sounds and auxiliary sounds such as horns, sirens, etc.

This is what you will need.

1. 4ch Traxxas transmitter (red thumb switch and silver toggle switch at the top)
    2. Traxxas OBA module (no speakers)
    3. ESS One sound box (with 3rd white wire. My local store had this but looking online it doesn't show it.)

RC Enthusiast
    That's pretty cool 👍👍

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Now that is pretty nice! good work!
    We are all one race. The human race.

Hey, you did it...cool. Also, nice diagram. So basically, you're only need of the OBA is for you to have a neutral (or, Launch mode). The rest (motor/horn) are supplied by the ESS-ONE. I think for me, I'd just go with the ESS-ONE, and the heck with the neutral stuff. Anyway, very cool how everything turned out for you. Now for the BIG question. Are you going to tell us where you got your ESS-ONE, and show pictures (or, a video) on how to program one?

P.S. That's a serious ESC mounting tray you got going on there. (lol)
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    The ESS one is from Sense Innovation or Team Associated. Idk who owns it. You can get it from eBay and there are lots of videos on how to install and use the software to program it. Software installs in Chinese but runs in English. Weird. Oh yes you only need a 3ch transmitter if you don't want the launch mode.

The tray is a prototype to test fitting. I wanted a better way to install fans and to strengthen the chassis. I'll have a new one made next week with holes to lighten it and to run the fan wires better.
    Last edited by Blkdrgn808; 04-17-2016 at 06:30 AM.

RC poster
    nice info..thanks!!

RC Qualifier
    Changed the engine sound and horn.

RC Qualifier
    I'm having issues so do not hook up both the ESS and OBA module. It's either or until I can figure out the bugs. Mods I would delete this thread until I work out the issue.

RC poster
    Hi mate,

I'd really appreciate your advice. I have tried fitting the OBA to my X-Maxx however am having issue's with it causing the ESC or the Receiver to randomly glitch and cause it to intermittently drive in forward and reverse in little fits when it should be sitting in neutral.

I've plugged the OBA through the 3rd channel in the receiver, however haven't bothered with the green plug as I still have the 2 channel transmitter. I did try using an inline power cable adapter to pull power from the negative side of the battery set up ( borrowed from the ESS-One kit i also bought ).

I also tried the ESS-One kit and had similar issues on both 6S and 8S..

Would you have any thoughts as to what I would be setting up wrong. I'd rather use the Traxxas OBA set up as I prefer the sound of this and have already modified the speakers to fit within the X-Maxx shell..

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.